PDA

View Full Version : Footwear

TSWisla
02-17-2013, 01:11
Have been reading many posts about boots or trail runners, but I was considering to just use plain old lightweight running shoes. Will this be a problem? I plan to hike from Spirnger Mtn to Franklin NC. Thank you.

takethisbread
02-17-2013, 07:24
Depends on time of year. In snow running shoes could be a issue. But aside from that it's fine . Depends on your needed level of comfort with respect to wet feet. Running shoes provide lightweight comfort with little support. The don't withstand water but they do dry out quickly. They also don't do well in rocky terrain, which is not the case in your hike area, anyway. If you are doing this hike after march I'd say its probably fine but check the forecast.

JAK
02-17-2013, 08:55
The most critical thing, besides fit, is how much water the material can absorb. Less water = faster drying and less snow melting.

fredmugs
02-17-2013, 11:37
Yes - it will be a problem. I have worn Nike cross trainers on section hikes and those types of shoes are not designed for miles and miles of walking on rocks and tree roots. Your feet get beat to crap. They are lighter, more comfortable (at first) and you can definitely go faster but over a longer hike I would not recommend it. Springer to Franklin may be doable but I would go with trail runners.

"Atlas"
02-17-2013, 12:11
I did a section in a new pair of cross trainers and within a few days my feet were bruised, I had never bruised my feet before, not in the Army, Life or Hiking. Not a feeling I ever want again. Since then its been hiking boots, I know they are heavy, but I cant stand rocks in my shoes, another problem with sneakers.