PDA

View Full Version : Lifestraw?

Fur Queue
02-17-2013, 13:20
Has anyone used or have any feedback on the Lifestraw personal water filter? Thanks in advance.

cdngrl
02-17-2013, 14:00
I haven't, but AT hiker Jordana from My Meandering Trail did a produce review on it last week. Check it out: http://mymeanderingtrail.com/2013/02/12/twelfth-official-product-review-ever-lifestraw/

Fur Queue
02-17-2013, 17:40
That's an excellent review....very economical as well!

HikerMom58
02-18-2013, 10:37
I haven't, but AT hiker Jordana from My Meandering Trail did a produce review on it last week. Check it out: http://mymeanderingtrail.com/2013/02/12/twelfth-official-product-review-ever-lifestraw/

That is an excellent review... I'm really interested in this for the trail.

leaftye
02-18-2013, 11:27
That's an excellent review....very economical as well!

That depends how long you use it. It has a filter life of 264 gallons. The Sawyer costs a couple times more, but weighs about the same when used the same way and has a million gallon filter life.

That said, the Lifestraw should last an entire thru hike, and that's probably good enough for most folks.

Fur Queue
02-18-2013, 12:17
That depends how long you use it. It has a filter life of 264 gallons. The Sawyer costs a couple times more, but weighs about the same when used the same way and has a million gallon filter life.

That said, the Lifestraw should last an entire thru hike, and that's probably good enough for most folks.

I haven't used one yet but it seems the Sawyer has some issues? With the bags, couplins, and filling etc? This lifestraw seems very straightforward and anything that can impact what for us will be the biggest single weight item (water) has to be given some serious consideration...I am an armchair hiker so far though so I will nearly always defer to the more experienced....

leaftye
02-18-2013, 12:36
I haven't used one yet but it seems the Sawyer has some issues? With the bags, couplins, and filling etc? This lifestraw seems very straightforward and anything that can impact what for us will be the biggest single weight item (water) has to be given some serious consideration...I am an armchair hiker so far though so I will nearly always defer to the more experienced....

The bags have been upgraded this year. All bladders are difficult to fill unless you pour water into them. There's no problem with couplings as long as you use ones that work, that is, don't use Platypus bladders.

I wouldn't fault you for buying the Lifestraw, just know that the shorter filter life will result in it costing more if you filter more than roughly 400 gallons.

The Lifestraw doesn't suit my style of hiking, so I won't be trying it out. I need a system that can fill a container with clean water.