PDA

View Full Version : Vt Section Hike

woodsman
02-17-2013, 20:33
If you were to fly in and hike all of Vt, how many days would you allow for the hike? I have no problem doing 12-14 miles per day Nc, Tn, Va, etc.

No sure of the terrian in Vt.

Mountain Mike
02-17-2013, 20:46
AT or Long Trail?

woodsman
02-17-2013, 20:48
At!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mountain Mike
02-17-2013, 20:58
Figure about the same as NC, if not a little easier. Manchester Center great town to resupply Along with Rt 4. Free camping across from Inn On the LT. or Hike a little further to Gifford Wood SP which has $5 hiker sites & coin shower. Good resupply at store next to Killington PO. About a mile from the SP & a little further from the Inn.

Prime Time
02-17-2013, 21:30
You can safely figure 8-10 days. I agree with Mountain Mike, the terrain is about as tough as NC, a little rougher/rockier but less elevation. If you can, wait until just after Labor Day when the trail has had a chance to dry out, and is a lot less crowded. Also, this is the best time for dependable weather, at least historically. Warm days, crisp nights, lots of blue skies...except when it's raining and cold :)

Slo-go'en
02-17-2013, 22:48
I'm going to be on the conservative side and say 10 to 12 days. 1 mile in VT = 1.5 to 2 miles in NC. It's a little over 110 miles and 10 mile days are good days for a section hiker.

Cookerhiker
02-17-2013, 23:06
On the whole, I found VT & NC similar in degree of difficulty if not terrain. The only exception is I consider the part of NC in Nantahala NF between Winding Stair Gap & Fontana to be tougher than VT.

The VT AT in its entirety is 156 miles (this includes the MA portion from North Adams). Slo-go'en's estimate only covered the AT/LT portion from the split-off and didn't include the easterly non-LT section to Hanover. I would allow 12 days which amounts to 13 mpd. Some days will be more, some less.

Late August or September is a good time to hike VT - the mosquitoes should be gone.

polechar
02-17-2013, 23:40
I would recommend also going north of the AT on the LT if you have the time. It's beautiful hiking up there.

Mountain Mike
02-17-2013, 23:45
I would recommend also going north of the AT on the LT if you have the time. It's beautiful hiking up there.
Beautiful but a tad bit more difficult. That's why I asked my first question.

Stalking Tortoise
02-18-2013, 07:35
It took me 12 days to section hike VT. Granted, I did it in five different sections so I was finishing early on the last day of each section to allow time for the drive home.

And I'd pass on the free camping across the street from the Inn at Long Trail. The traffic noise is pretty annoying from the vehicles laboring up Route 4 from both sides of the pass.

tdoczi
02-18-2013, 10:46
I covered all of VT over 3 different hikes totaling 11 days, with several of those being short days. I think it can be done in 10 days. its 156 miles and its not terrain that precludes one from doing 16 miles a day at all, and there are spots where going longer would not be difficult.