PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on these maps?

mgz5005
02-17-2013, 21:47
Hello! I am looking to buy a set of maps of the whole trail but the ATC maps to be a bit out of my price range. Does anyone have thoughts or feedback about these?

http://www.amazon.com/Appalachian-Trail-Southern-States-Volume/dp/1475286953/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=U04QO9GDQRZJ&coliid=I2V9CFIEX1GXQU

Thanks!

Mountain Mike
02-17-2013, 22:33
They look good. Didn't see any elevation profile but you can get that online for free or in awol's guide. Nice to have that or the Companion along with maps.

Lyle
02-18-2013, 03:20
There is an elevation profile on each map. These look interesting. I just ordered the Northern states set, since that is exactly what I have left to hike, from Bear Mountain bridge north. These do not show shelters or campsites - no AT specific features.

Lyle
03-19-2013, 10:35
Appalachian Trail Pocket Maps, K. Scott Parks

Well, I finally found time to look these maps over fairly closely. I think they will be great. Plenty of elevation detail. I really like the mile by mile markings printed on the map. Some of the landmarks aren't as prominently printed, but in conjunction with a guidebook and the mile markings should be very easy to locate whatever you want. Profile is small, but perfectly usable for a general idea. I like that each map page lists the three highest climbs on that page, plus gives you total ascent and decent. They also list and highlight possible resupply points with distance to, and direction indicated.

Correction to my observation in the earlier post that they do not include shelter locations, that is incorrect. It appears most shelters are indicated, they just don't stand out so prominently as on the ATC maps.

The most obvious downside I see is that the pages do not appear to be waterproof, and the detailed scale sometimes eliminates a general "lay of the land" type view - reminiscent of AAA Trip Ticks.

Again, I think these will work real well with a guidebook, and could easily replace the official maps. I'll be trying them out for real this summer, but I'm very optimistic after looking at them more closely.

Just thought I'd do a bit of a review, first impression.

max patch
03-19-2013, 12:37
The most obvious downside I see is that the pages do not appear to be waterproof, and the detailed scale sometimes eliminates a general "lay of the land" type view - reminiscent of AAA Trip Ticks.

1. IF the maps are not waterproof then imo $90 for the complete set is a false economy.

2. I'm curious about the "lay of the land" comment. If you have to get off the trail "right now" because of injury or illness if there enough info to do so?

Lyle
03-19-2013, 13:11
They are small enough that they will readily fit in a zip lock, so I don't off handidly consider not being waterproof a deal breaker, as long as the ink is water resistant, should be OK.

They have an "overview" map for each section. Not certain if these would be adequate for emergency evacuation. I don't have the book with me at the moment, will get back with an opinion in a bit.

lukabrazi
03-20-2013, 07:42
If you get these please let us know what you think. I had looked at these recently and at the time I don't believe they had the option to preview them. There were no reviews and it is a self publishing company so I wasn't sure what type of quality to expect. The preview looks good though. I wonder if they include many side trails.

10-K
03-20-2013, 07:48
I just hiked the Sheltowee Trace trail with maps that weren't waterproof. All the maps I had to use disintegrated rather quickly after 24 hours of rain - not because I let them get wet but because of the humidity.

I haven't found a way to keep a paper map that I actually need to consult frequently from tearing up and falling apart when damp. Even in dry conditions they develop holes and start tearing at the folds after being refolded a few times.

I guess if you're not using them for navigation and don't really-really need to rely on them or look at them often it might work.

IMO, the Nat Geo trail maps are the gold standard in hiking maps.

Lyle
03-20-2013, 08:33
OK, the overview maps do not carry any features, so would be fairly useless for emergency evacuation beyond what the actual maps show. Most times these will give you some options, definitely more than someone hiking without any maps has. EVERY option? maybe not.

Each page in the book covers only 7-12 miles it appears, so it would not be used for all that long, generally less than one day. Also, I don't know that they aren't waterproof or water resistant. They are not plasticized, but not sure they need to be.

Regarding folding, each page is only 6x9 inches, so no need to fold.

Side trails are shown, but due to the small map size, not always obvious where they go. This is also true of the ATC maps if you are near the edge of the map.

The same person publishes similar books of PCT maps, is on the 4th edition, so they have been around for a while - must be selling ok.

Lyle
03-20-2013, 08:43
Alright, I sacrificed one page from the book. Tore it out, held it under warm, running water. The page eventually became saturated. The ink did not run or smear - at this point the map could have been dried out and still used. I then folded it up a couple of times, had to be very careful unfolding it not to tear it. Still fully usable if dried out. I then crumpled the soggy page into a golf ball size ball and squeezed it, not sure how that would happen with even the most careless of hikers, but hey. I was unable to straighten it out again without the page shredding to pieces.

I would say the ink is waterproof, the paper not so much. But since each page is used for such a short time, it may not be an issue. At least I don't think it will be. I've used non-plasticised maps in wet conditions before and never had major problems. I'm still willing to give these a shot.

Are they "feature for feature" the equivalent of the ATC maps? no. Do they offer some new, helpful features that the ATC maps do not? yes. Are they usable for hiking the AT? yes, definitely. Will you need to be more careful with them? possibly.

slow ride 302
09-13-2013, 11:59
First, let me thank everyone who contributed to this discussion. I have just purchased the Central Map booklet and am awaiting its arrival. As to the waterproofing issue, I recently purchased at an Army Surplus Store a 'Fox Tactical Map Case' for about $30.00. It is Desert Camo colored, made of cloth on the outside and is 7" x 6" x 2". It attaches to a regular belt or even something as large as a pistol belt. After unzipping the main compartment, I found inside a folded clear plastic sheet that, when unfolded, reveals a 12"x 12" double sided plastic sealable "case" in which to place maps. As these maps are 6" x 9" it appears to me that at least 2 maps can fit into the plastic at a time and perhaps more, depending on how thick the maps are. The Compartment also has a place for pens, pencils and grease markers that can easily be erased from the maps. Perhaps the booklet of maps, when not being used, could be safely tucked away inside the backpack in a sealable plastic bag. Anyway, just an idea. Thanks again for the help. "I think most clearly in the mountains." Slow Ride 302

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 16:58
Alright, I sacrificed one page from the book. Tore it out, held it under warm, running water. The page eventually became saturated. The ink did not run or smear - at this point the map could have been dried out and still used. I then folded it up a couple of times, had to be very careful unfolding it not to tear it. Still fully usable if dried out. I then crumpled the soggy page into a golf ball size ball and squeezed it, not sure how that would happen with even the most careless of hikers, but hey. I was unable to straighten it out again without the page shredding to pieces.

I would say the ink is waterproof, the paper not so much. But since each page is used for such a short time, it may not be an issue. At least I don't think it will be. I've used non-plasticised maps in wet conditions before and never had major problems. I'm still willing to give these a shot.

Are they "feature for feature" the equivalent of the ATC maps? no. Do they offer some new, helpful features that the ATC maps do not? yes. Are they usable for hiking the AT? yes, definitely. Will you need to be more careful with them? possibly.

Lyle's bringing up some important considerations. Just place the amt of maps you need, removed from the book, into a top loading(w/ fold over) clear plastic
binder sheet and your maps from this mapset should be fine. You could alternatively Map Seal your non-WP maps or Hairspray them which creates ok but sometimes sticky WPing.

Also, realize since the AT is perhaps the longest most popular long distance continuous marked hiking trail in the world, so many wish to thru-hike it, and so many fail to complete their thru-hikes a glut of AT maps exists for sale at steep discount prices including entire AT mapsets and guides. If you search on a few AT sale related websites and Ebay, for example, you'll find all sorts of AT maps for sale.

Dogwood
09-13-2013, 16:59
First, let me thank everyone who contributed to this discussion. I have just purchased the Central Map booklet and am awaiting its arrival. As to the waterproofing issue, I recently purchased at an Army Surplus Store a 'Fox Tactical Map Case' for about $30.00. It is Desert Camo colored, made of cloth on the outside and is 7" x 6" x 2". It attaches to a regular belt or even something as large as a pistol belt. After unzipping the main compartment, I found inside a folded clear plastic sheet that, when unfolded, reveals a 12"x 12" double sided plastic sealable "case" in which to place maps. As these maps are 6" x 9" it appears to me that at least 2 maps can fit into the plastic at a time and perhaps more, depending on how thick the maps are. The Compartment also has a place for pens, pencils and grease markers that can easily be erased from the maps. Perhaps the booklet of maps, when not being used, could be safely tucked away inside the backpack in a sealable plastic bag. Anyway, just an idea. Thanks again for the help. "I think most clearly in the mountains." Slow Ride 302

I didn't see all this before I made my post. There you go.