PDA

View Full Version : Roll or stuff ?

Tramp
02-18-2013, 05:01
If you use a tent, do you roll it up or stuff it ? Do you use the sack it came in or another stuff sack of somekind ? Did you make that sack or buy it ?

Kaptain Kangaroo
02-18-2013, 05:39
When I'm hiking I tend to roll it so I can keep the dirty/wet floor away from the rest of the tent (in it's original sack). For storage between hikes I stuff it loosely into a larger bag that I bought. Some tent manufacturers recommend this way of storing

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 05:58
Yep, I'm a roller/back in he bag...but I too have been rethinking that, even considered cutting in a 2" swatch of material on the stuff sack so it's not so dang hard.

Blue Mountain Edward
02-18-2013, 08:32
Have to roll the tent up perfect for it to fit in the stuff sack. I store the poles inside my rolled up foam sleeping pad and hang the rolled up tent outside my backpack. It is easier than using the stuff sack it came in and the wet tent wont soak the contents of my backpack.

Old Hiker
02-18-2013, 08:36
I have a waterproof compression sack for my ALPS tents now. I stuff the fly in first, then the body. I have the poles and stakes in a separate bag which fit on the outside of my pack in one of the side pockets up under a compression strap on the side. I have a JanSport Klamath. With my new LightHeart Gear (YAY, Judy !!) SoLong 6, I kinda roll it up and stuff it into the bag. Haven't tested the waterproofness of the bag yet, though.

The compression sack brings the volume down and being waterproof, it can go on the top of everything else at the end of the morning's packing. That way, it's first out at night. The SoLong 6 is small enough to go into the sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of the pack with my sleeping bag.

I thought the wisdom had changed where folding the same way every time caused creases which lead to fabric failure, so we started stuffing. Probably years ago with less technical fabrics?

Furlough
02-18-2013, 08:49
If you use a tent, do you roll it up or stuff it ? Do you use the sack it came in or another stuff sack of somekind ? Did you make that sack or buy it ?
I have a six moons designs scout. I stuff it, using a sack from an old coleman tent. Goes in easier than the one it came with. Also I can fit the spreader and stakes into that sack a lot easier than with the original sack.

Furlough

garlic08
02-18-2013, 09:27
I stuff my Tarptent directly into the pack, no sack of any kind. Water and dirt don't matter, the way I pack--the stuff that needs to stay dry and clean is in a trash compactor bag.

colorado_rob
02-18-2013, 09:49
... I thought the wisdom had changed where folding the same way every time caused creases which lead to fabric failure, so we started stuffing. Probably years ago with less technical fabrics? I think that as long as you don't roll it the same way each time, it's all good, even with older fabrics. I just "randomly" fold/roll mine, trying to be different every time. I also roll it very loosely for storage, but tightly for on the trail when space is at a premium.

rusty bumper
02-18-2013, 09:53
I roll my Tarptent Moment and slide it into the sack that came with the tent. The sack is narrow and 20" long, so after adding the pole and a small sack with the 2 pegs, it fits nicely into the long mesh side pocket on my Gossamer Gear pack.

Lyle
02-18-2013, 10:28
Stuff it.

"Stuff" sack that came with it.

Never had a bit of trouble getting it to fit into the sack it came with. Actually most of them fit rather loosely.

Now, back in the old days, when I would try to fit poles and stakes in the same sack, rolling was more efficient, but even then you could just put the poles in, then stuff around them.

Tramp
02-18-2013, 10:29
I have a waterproof compression sack for my ALPS tents now. I stuff the fly in first, then the body. I have the poles and stakes in a separate bag which fit on the outside of my pack in one of the side pockets up under a compression strap on the side. I have a JanSport Klamath. With my new LightHeart Gear (YAY, Judy !!) SoLong 6, I kinda roll it up and stuff it into the bag. Haven't tested the waterproofness of the bag yet, though.

The compression sack brings the volume down and being waterproof, it can go on the top of everything else at the end of the morning's packing. That way, it's first out at night. The SoLong 6 is small enough to go into the sleeping bag compartment at the bottom of the pack with my sleeping bag.

I thought the wisdom had changed where folding the same way every time caused creases which lead to fabric failure, so we started stuffing. Probably years ago with less technical fabrics?

That's what I was thinking, use a stuff sack. Easer to get in and out pack smaller and not folded/rolled the same way all the time. I'm I wrong ?

BirdBrain
02-18-2013, 10:53
This is what I love about Whiteblaze. It makes me question everything. I had assumed rolling was way to go and would produce most compact way to carry. I know that you should not roll sleeping bag, but had never considered tent (I actually use a bivy).

Bumping this thread in hopes of getting numerous opinions. This site has changed my mind on many things already. This might be one more.

Tramp
02-18-2013, 11:43
I was thinking that it would pack smaller in a stuff sack. In the bag it came in its 5x19. I think I can get it down to where it fits in my pack better with out having the tent , poles & pegs in one bag.
If I dry it some and wipe off some of the dirt it should work out ok. But I may be full of crap & don't know what I'm talking about.
I have the sierra designs clip flashlight 2 tent.

Turk6177
02-18-2013, 11:46
I stuff it into the sack it came in (MSR Hubba). I put the rain fly in first, followed by the tent, followed by the footprint. That way when I pull them out, they are in order of how I set them up. I try to wipe as much dirt off the footprint as possible and then fold it in such a way that the dirt meets the dirt. I think the MSR web site suggested stuffing the tent so it would not get creased in the same spots every time you pack it, thus making those points weaker over time.

RED-DOG
02-18-2013, 13:03
Bro just stuff it in the sack that came with it.

MuddyWaters
02-18-2013, 23:58
Rolling silnylon is pretty freakin hard, stuff is too slippery.
Spinnaker is possible, but tries to get away from you too, its fairly slippery too.

Conventional coated polyester tent materials roll easily.
Cuben will too.

All depends on how big the stuffsak is really. Sometimes have to roll up tight to fit in a stuffsak.
Sometimes, I just roll up tight and puts rubber bands on and forget about a stuffsak.

CenAZwalker
02-20-2013, 17:46
I don't believe there is any benefit of stuffing vs. rolling or vice versa. Personal preference. I rarely bother with the stuff sack.

rocketsocks
02-20-2013, 19:13
Bro just stuff it in the sack that came with it.Ha Ha Ha LMAO uh that's funny!

Ktaadn
02-21-2013, 16:55
stuff it in the sack it came with

Tinker
02-21-2013, 18:00
Fold the wet floor in half, so the wet halves are facing each other, then fold or roll - obviously, rolling is the easier method here. When packing in the rain your whole tent is wet, minus the inner wall and ceiling (which are damp). Keeping the dirt and wetness on the bottom of the floor will slow the spread of mildew to the rest of the tent. Use any sack that the tent will fit into. Cuben fiber (seam sealed) is completely waterproof, which will keep your wet tent from wetting other things in your pack. Cheap plastic bags inside nylon sacks will do the same thing. Laminated (not coated) bags are better than coated bags. Most nylon canoe/kayak bags are laminated with a good roll top. Most are also fairly heavy. When tenting I use the cheap nylon bag with a trash bag liner. Keeping the bag dry helps keep the pack contents dry. I don't lash anything except my guitar to my pack.

SCRUB HIKER
02-21-2013, 18:13
Stuffed my MSR 1-person tent in its original sack when I had it. Poles packed separately. Rain fly sometimes packed separately (somewhere on the outside of the pack) if it's wet.

Now I roll my ZPacks Hexamid Solo up, because Joe says on his website that that's what he does and it works. I doubt it matters much, though.

Tramp
02-21-2013, 22:26
Thank you all for posting on this.

Franco
02-22-2013, 04:36
here is a quick video i shot today to show how and why I do mine :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxg4miBqh-Q&list=UU0PuLUKvG7Fxxex5BMVK4vw&index=1

OzJacko
02-22-2013, 04:52
Thanks Franco.
Slightly different folding prior to rolling from what I would normally do but I prefer your way.

msumax1985
02-23-2013, 09:28
Franco: can you do a video on the Contrail? Sack is only 14" and I'm having trouble with it. There are no poles, so I started rolling from the strut side first. But as you know, it balloons out.

Franco
02-23-2013, 18:21
Packing up the Contrail .
OK here it is :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7lsJDJTsSs&feature=youtu.be

Takes me longer to upload than to shoot because what you see is exactly what I shot in one take.
So it could be done better but this is pretty much how I do it when hiking.

The Gambler
02-23-2013, 18:36
stuff it in it's stuff sack...if wet i carry in the outside flap that has two drainage holes of my osprey exos

msumax1985
02-25-2013, 08:14
Thanks a bunch, Franco! That helps a lot.

rocketsocks
02-25-2013, 09:58
Bro just stuff it in the sack that came with it.This is my favorite one...too funny!

Cookerhiker
02-25-2013, 11:42
I used to roll but my GF pointed out that if I stuff it, the creases and folds are different every time which is better for the tent's durability. Poles go into their own (original) bag, I roll or fold my groundcloth into a narrow plastic bag (the kind newspapers are delivered in) and put it in tent bag, then stuff the tent & fly, saving the stake bag until last.

My tent is affixed to the pack's outside.

Swordpen
05-19-2013, 01:26
I have a Sea to Summit 1 oz sil-nylon summit backpack that doubles as a stuff sack. I stuff my tent & fly in there, tie around it with a small string. The poles of the tent, go on the outside of my pack. Cram the above, into the bottom of my zpack arc blast.

q-tip
05-19-2013, 12:22
I have a TT Conrtrail-I stuff in the sack it came with--no problems...

topshelf
05-19-2013, 13:19
I stuff everything

I would just say if you roll anything, change the way you roll your item each time or periodically to avoid crease lines in the material. ive been told continually folding along the same crease lines is very bad.