PDA

View Full Version : where to get a bamboo stick.

Tramp
02-18-2013, 05:35
Does anyone know where I can get a bamboo walking stick ? Yes,, I would love to make my own and will one day but right now I just don't have the time.

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 06:00
You might try a craft/garden store many use these for different project.

Hairbear
02-18-2013, 06:03
every time a spider web is ripped down by my face ,i sure miss the one i carried for years.

Rocket Jones
02-18-2013, 08:44
As an alternative to bamboo, consider a broom handle from the hardware store. Wrap the top with some cord for a grip, add a wrist lanyard if you want. I stuck a cane rubber on the bottom of mine.

rocketsocks
02-18-2013, 08:46
As an alternative to bamboo, consider a broom handle from the hardware store. Wrap the top with some cord for a grip, add a wrist lanyard if you want. I stuck a cane rubber on the bottom of mine.Or even a maple pool que.

Old Hiker
02-18-2013, 08:53
As an alternative to bamboo, consider a broom handle from the hardware store. Wrap the top with some cord for a grip, add a wrist lanyard if you want. I stuck a cane rubber on the bottom of mine.

Hoe handle - has a metal end that protects the tip. Mine still squashed down a bit over 400 miles or so. Cane tip does great for traction on pretty much any stick you have. My natural staff has one.

Break:Away
02-18-2013, 09:27
I have one of these.... http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/walkingstickflutes.html I really like it; it's lightweight and strong. Zero issues and it's one of the things I own that I will have for a long time. Good Luck. Break:Away (Tom)

JAK
02-18-2013, 09:42
I always felt a bo stick would make a great hiking stick as it is also a self defence weapon that is ready at hand. Not that I know how to use one. Too much Dungeons and Dragons when I was young instead of some marshall art. Still I like to carry a stick when hiking with my daughter. In case of dogs or whatever or even a bear. It's a very visible deterent without being socially threatening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAXm3GlTDBs

Tramp
02-18-2013, 10:34
I have one of these.... http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/walkingstickflutes.html I really like it; it's lightweight and strong. Zero issues and it's one of the things I own that I will have for a long time. Good Luck. Break:Away (Tom)

What stick do you have from them ?

Break:Away
02-18-2013, 17:05
The Dark Bamboo Serenity Walking Stick Flute - it's on the far right of this page.

http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/walkingstickflutes.html

Flute-wise...I don't play and can't tell you how good it is as a flute. BUT, when walking in the wind...it's pretty cool to hear the wind blowing thru it.

HeartFire
02-18-2013, 19:11
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-American-Trekking-Pole-Co-LLC/284831574872630
Chris Hall, formerly of Leki is now on his own with US made bamboo trekking poles

Tramp
02-18-2013, 20:26
The Dark Bamboo Serenity Walking Stick Flute - it's on the far right of this page.

http://www.serenitybambooflutes.com/walkingstickflutes.html

Flute-wise...I don't play and can't tell you how good it is as a flute. BUT, when walking in the wind...it's pretty cool to hear the wind blowing thru it. I just talked to him and I think we can work out something on a stick. Thank you. Great info !!

Red Hat
02-18-2013, 20:40
https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-American-Trekking-Pole-Co-LLC/284831574872630
Chris Hall, formerly of Leki is now on his own with US made bamboo trekking poles

that is what I was going to say, thanks for doing it first, Heartfire.

Dogwood
02-18-2013, 21:19
Does anyone know where I can get a bamboo walking stick ? Yes,, I would love to make my own and will one day but right now I just don't have the time.

Uh, not trying to be an azz hole or single you out Tramp but I feel the need to say this at this point because I've been noticing an increasing amount of this lately - people expecting others to do their searches/work/shopping for them. You do know about a little thing called search engines don't you? You might have heard of one called Google? Suppose you don't have the time for that right now either? Suppose you expect others to do the search for you too? Tell you where you can buy one, how much, etc etc. It's simple. My 7 yr old niece does searches on the internet for what she wants on a regular basis. Well, I did the search for "bamboo walking sticks." Plenty of info on where you can get one. Some suppliers/dealers in GA too. Even had some nice pics of bamboo walking sticks. Now you go do what I did. Not that hard or time consuming. Learn to fish rather than just expecting someone to hand you a fish to eat all the time and you'all go hungry less often.

Tramp
02-19-2013, 19:48
Uh, not trying to be an azz hole or single you out Tramp but I feel the need to say this at this point because I've been noticing an increasing amount of this lately - people expecting others to do their searches/work/shopping for them. You do know about a little thing called search engines don't you? You might have heard of one called Google? Suppose you don't have the time for that right now either? Suppose you expect others to do the search for you too? Tell you where you can buy one, how much, etc etc. It's simple. My 7 yr old niece does searches on the internet for what she wants on a regular basis. Well, I did the search for "bamboo walking sticks." Plenty of info on where you can get one. Some suppliers/dealers in GA too. Even had some nice pics of bamboo walking sticks. Now you go do what I did. Not that hard or time consuming. Learn to fish rather than just expecting someone to hand you a fish to eat all the time and you'all go hungry less often.
Wow man !that's hard core ! I'm just asking the opion of the people on this site that have more exp. Than I do. Like you said there are lots of sites on this but what one is good what one is a rip off who has good stuff and who has junk. I don't want anyone to do my work for me but a point in the right direction is helpfull.
And by the way, for someone with over 3000 post why haven't you put up your 10$ to join. Just going to let the rest of us carry the load for you ??

leaftye
02-19-2013, 20:13
Uh, not trying to be an azz hole...

BS. If you spend all your time searching instead of discussing things with like-minded folks, you're a damn fool for coming onto a discussion forum.

rocketsocks
02-19-2013, 20:18
Uh, not trying to be an azz hole or single you out Tramp but I feel the need to say this at this point because I've been noticing an increasing amount of this lately - people expecting others to do their searches/work/shopping for them. You do know about a little thing called search engines don't you? You might have heard of one called Google? Suppose you don't have the time for that right now either? Suppose you expect others to do the search for you too? Tell you where you can buy one, how much, etc etc. It's simple. My 7 yr old niece does searches on the internet for what she wants on a regular basis. Well, I did the search for "bamboo walking sticks." Plenty of info on where you can get one. Some suppliers/dealers in GA too. Even had some nice pics of bamboo walking sticks. Now you go do what I did. Not that hard or time consuming. Learn to fish rather than just expecting someone to hand you a fish to eat all the time and you'all go hungry less often.Damn DogWood, that was pretty damn harsh dude. He's was looking for an opinion based on the vast knowledge here...you might not have wanted to come off like a Ahole, but it didn't work.

Also, to allow someone to help you not only shows great character....it's a win win for both party's...think about it.

Hairbear
02-19-2013, 22:49

Im glad doctors do not have that attitude.

leaftye
02-19-2013, 22:55
Im glad doctors do not have that attitude.

I had a young military doctor do that to me early in my military career. He got an attitude adjustment shortly afterwards.

T-Dubs
02-19-2013, 23:03

I used to find them at carpet stores. This was way-too-long ago but it may be worth a call.

rocketsocks
02-19-2013, 23:05
i had a young military doctor do that to me early in my military career. He got an attitude adjustment shortly afterwards................ :d

Elder
02-19-2013, 23:08

Thanks Judy.
www.americantrekkingpoles.com

leaftye
02-19-2013, 23:09
You could grow your own bamboo. It grows very quickly. It's sold on Amazon and ebay.

rocketsocks
02-19-2013, 23:12
You could grow your own bamboo. It grows very quickly. It's sold on Amazon and ebay.Fastest growing of all the grass species, maybe in the whole land.

and you could say, I grew this here hiking staff from a wee little shoot, I nurtured , and brought him/her in each night so all the bunnies wouldn't eat em....now he takes care of me.. :)

RockDoc
02-22-2013, 15:37
We flew to Iceland to backpack with bamboo hiking sticks, but the sticks arrived late because they had been retained for special examination for drugs, etc in the hollow compartments. We had to hike without them, and of course there were no sticks available in Iceland's backcountry because there are no trees in the tundra. We passed some pathetic scrub brush that the Icelander's called "forest", but it was illegal to cut or use the wood.

So, just beware if you plan to check bamboo sticks on airplanes. You may never get to use them. We got them at the Fred Meyer garden shop BTW.

BFI
02-22-2013, 17:17
I'm sure Miss Janet posted a picture on face book of guy in Ewrin who was making them, you could check with her of FB ..

Venchka
03-08-2013, 15:16
Bamboo is the best. I added some nylon whipping for a hand grip. A large crutch tip on top to support my Pentax 6x7. A piece of oak dowel on the business end to stop fraying. Found mine inside a rolled carpet returned from a cleaners in the early '70s. Still have it.

Wayne

Tramp
03-09-2013, 00:09
Bamboo is the best. I added some nylon whipping for a hand grip. A large crutch tip on top to support my Pentax 6x7. A piece of oak dowel on the business end to stop fraying. Found mine inside a rolled carpet returned from a cleaners in the early '70s. Still have it.

Wayne
Sounds great. I would like to see some pics of that.