PDA

View Full Version : Filter bottle verses water filter

Blue Mountain Edward
02-18-2013, 08:22
Never owned or used either and am seeking knowledge and advice. A water filter would be safe and proven also heavier and pricier. A filter bottle could double as a canteen, has no moving parts to break and is lighter. Am just comparison shopping and have no experience using any water filters, any advice?

Odd Man Out
02-18-2013, 10:21
A filter has no moving parts and is not heavier inside a water bottle than outside the bottle. So I am guessing that your are talking about the pumps that are used to move water through the filter. The most discussed filter system these days is the Sawyer Squeeze which has the exact same filter as found in their bottles, but with fittings to attach to water bladders so you squeeze the water through it. No moving parts, no extra weight, could be put in a bottle if you want.

Turk6177
02-18-2013, 11:42
I have not field tested my Sawyer Squeeze yet, however, I like that it provides and instant drink of water. I used Aqua Mirra on my last hikes so I had to wait 15 minutes to drink. I also like that the Sawyer Squeeze filter fits my platypus water containers.