PDA

View Full Version : Spring VA-AT hikes and clothing recomendations

XTrekker
02-18-2013, 10:03
So this spring I plan to do at least 4 or 5 trips to the AT in the Jefferson National Forest and SNP. Ive hiked there many times before but generally later in the seasons. I just wanted to get some feed back as to what clothing you wear during spring times in VA. Trip is first week in April. I plan to swap out my synthetic base layers for Merino Wool but was thinking of maybe Fleece and wind breaker for outer layers. I also own a 9oz 650 down jacket I picked up while back. I wore it outside few times this winter in 40F and felt comfortable.

So some feedback would be great as to what works for you during those conditions.

bigcranky
02-18-2013, 11:50
For spring conditions, I bring a 4 layer system:

lightweight wool base layer (150-wt merino), short and long sleeve
single layer 3oz wind shirt
down jacket with hood
rain shell (hard shell)

For my legs I bring merino boxer briefs and long johns, nylon hiking shorts, and rain shell pants. Possibly light gaiters, too. Oh, and wool hiking socks and mesh trail runners. Also a fleece beanie and some light gloves, and a pair of cuben rain mitts.

For camp I have a microfleece pullover. I find that I can mix and match all of these things to cover whatever conditions exist. In April I've had everything from warm and sunny to major cold and snow.

Good luck. April is a fun time to be on the trail.