PDA

View Full Version : weather

kevin wells
02-18-2013, 13:29
I've been having a hard time finding avg temps for a mid to late march start NOBO. I have been testing gear in the mid 20's. Will it be colder than that?
Thanks

Datto
02-18-2013, 13:40
25*F is a good temperature to expect for low -- you might experience a night or two colder than that but there's no way to predict. If it gets to 0*F to 10*F you'll likely be heading into town to wait it out anyhow.

Also, any average temps you see for towns may be considerably warmer than what you'd expect on the Appalachian Trail. Plus, there is the wind to consider. Take three eyehooks with you and some string to use if you have to drape your carry shelter across the front of a shelter to block the wind.

In any case, you're not going to want to be carrying weight for any colder than what you've described (the risk/weight ratio isn't worth it). Who knows -- it could be in the 40's and balmy -- no way to know ahead of time.

If you want, you can carry a Mylar sleeping bag (about 4oz) from the Space company or from American something company -- those two brands held up for me when I had to use them for bitter cold night. Don't bother with the cheaper Mylar bags -- they're useless and won't hold together even for a single night. Put the Mylar sleeping bag inside your regular sleeping bag and then put a hot water bottle inside the Mylar sleeping bag that you slide into. That will add considerable warmth on a bitter cold night. The downside is your skin will be wet the next morning but you'll be able to get a nights sleep in the bitter cold and that's what is most important.

Datto

polechar
02-18-2013, 13:46
This is out of the Thru-Hike Planner

Datto
02-18-2013, 13:47
Also, make sure your sleeping bag is at least a 20*F sleeping bag from a reputable company. With that early of a start you'll need that warmth.

Note that most 20*F retail sleeping bags aren't really good down to that temp. If you want to get a bag that is rated for pretty much what it says you'd need to get a Western Mountaineering bag. Otherwise, you're probably looking at any retail 20*F bag being rated to 25-30*F in reality. You'll make up the difference by wearing all your clothes, including your raingear, when you sleep.

Also, make sure you've got a good hat -- a balaclava is good since it can block the wind from hitting your face -- much better than say a ski cap.

Datto

Datto
02-18-2013, 13:54
Also, you should keep in mind the wild swings in temps that are possible on the AT -- the "averages" are just that. It could be considerably warmer or considerably colder than what shows in averages. The Clingmans Dome averages shown in the Thru-Hiker Planner are an example -- the Smokies were much colder for me at night than what shows for Clingmans Dome averages in April. Also, the people who started their AT thru-hikes in Mid-March the year that I did my AT thru-hike experienced bitter cold on the AT in Georgia -- I read the register entries and had emailed a few of them and it was unseasonably cold that March. Glad I'd waited to start my AT thru-hike until April 10th.

Datto

kevin wells
02-18-2013, 17:50
Thanks guys. I hammock camp and have a hammock gear 20* incubator and am planning on buying a burrow(probably 40* overstuffed). Plus i have a down jacket, gloves baclava, ect. I used a light summer marmot down bag in my test and I believe the burrow will help me get into the teens if I need it. The mid to low 20's was what I thought. Just wanted to hear it from someone else I guess. Haha thanks again.

moldy
02-19-2013, 10:47
It would be quite rare for you to see the overnight temp get to zero at that time of year and if you could not make it to town and did sleep out you could still make it ok by going to a shelter, wearing your coat to sleep in as well as all the dry clothing you have and wraping yourself in all your hammock material. I have done it many times. I also have removed everything from my backpack and stuffed my feet into the bag along with the sleeping bag. Another trick I use in the Fall if dry leaves are available is to fill 3 or 4 plastic garbage bags with leaves and piled them on top for even more insulation.