PDA

View Full Version : Summer Bag

Bob Baker
06-12-2005, 22:17
I am looking for a summer sleeping bag with a rating of 40-50 degrees. I currently have an EMS Mountain Light 20 which I like a lot but it will be too hot for this summer. I've seen some nice bags but would like to know what you guys think. I am looking for a bag that is under 1.5 lbs and under 200 dollars. I would also like atleast a half zipper so I could ventilate. Also, can I compress a synthetic bag as much as I could a down? Thanks

Roland
06-12-2005, 22:29
I am looking for a summer sleeping bag with a rating of 40-50 degrees. I currently have an EMS Mountain Light 20 which I like a lot but it will be too hot for this summer. I've seen some nice bags but would like to know what you guys think. I am looking for a bag that is under 1.5 lbs and under 200 dollars. I would also like atleast a half zipper so I could ventilate. Also, can I compress a synthetic bag as much as I could a down? Thanks Bob,

If you're happy with the EMS bag, why not look at the Mountain Light 40?

About 30 bucks more than you budgeted is the WM HighLite. This bag is worth considering.

Roland

Footslogger
06-12-2005, 22:30
Check this one out ...

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=11429496&parent_category_rn=4500657&vcat=REI_SEARCH

I used this bag from Pearisburg to Glencliff on my thru in 2003

'Slogger

JonBusta
06-12-2005, 23:08
I also use the REI Travel Sack in warmer weather. For being just over a pound and a half it has some great features and it cost just $60.

verber
06-12-2005, 23:33
You might also want to consider a quilt. Will be lighter than a bag, will provide enough of warmth on colder summer nights, and will be easier to stay comfortable on warm nights because it will be easier to vent. I have linked to a number of folks who sell quilts. You could also make your own.

http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/sleep-system.html#Quilt

--mark

Bolivershagnasty
06-13-2005, 00:42
Yea theres plenty of flece type bags under 30.00 for summer. I'm looking at buying a Serria Designs 45 degree down bag, about a pound, with a foot zipper vent. About 179.00. Can do better cost but I'm looking at long time, quality use have it on hand bag. I've got a Serria bag now that's incredible for water protection even with a direct spill on it. You have to sumerge this thing to get it wet. With a foot vent it would be unbelivable.

jackiebolen
06-13-2005, 00:44
I got a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 degree bag for my summer bag. It seems to meet your specs: 1 pound, 1 ounce, just a bit over $200, 800 fill down. It kept me pretty warm with a silk liner down and some warm clothes on a few cold nights.

copythat
06-16-2005, 20:04
my 2 cents: steer clear of the kelty light year 45. weight's near your target and it's priced ok but it's cut like a straight jacket. i had to stand up to get out of it. so i gave it to my 14-year-old and she thought it was cut like a straight jacket. tried my 11-year-old and she hated it too. so now my 7-year-old carries it and she's gonna outgrow it before she's 10. sheesh!

gumball
06-17-2005, 05:37
JonBusta, I took a look at that REI travel sack--does it keep you warm at 55 degrees? Does it pack down well into your pack?

Just curious. It might be a nice alternative to my down bag in the summer, when I worry about walking on long section hikes and running into rain. Thanks!

Footslogger
06-17-2005, 09:01
I've got the REI Travel Sack and yes, it does keep me warm down to 55 and even cooler ...but then, I'm a warm sleeper.

The bag packs down to about the size of a volley ball or smaller.

'Slogger