PDA

View Full Version : Marathon Training & JMT Thru Hike

Coffee
02-18-2013, 20:00
So I have a bit of a dilemma this year in terms of two activities that I really want to do: A JMT thru hike in early-mid September and my second consecutive Marine Corps Marathon at the end of October. Obviously the hike itself would fall right in the middle of my marathon training mileage buildup schedule but that's not my main concern. The issue is that I cannot really carve out enough time earlier in the summer to both put in the long miles for marathon training and to pound out long training hikes with a full backpack. I usually do a long run on Saturday morning and Sunday is a leg rest day. Sunday is really my only other day to do a training hike with a pack.

I do have a trip to the Grand Canyon in early June (rim-to-rim) and I plan at least one extended 5-7 day section hike of the AT in Virginia in April or May.

I'd like some feedback on whether my marathon training (40-50 miles per week) in July/August will be sufficient to prepare me physically for the JMT thru hike or if I should forget about the marathon this fall and focus my spare time on hiking with a full pack. If I absolutely had to choose, I would definitely opt for the JMT hike vs. the marathon.

FWIW, I am in very good shape and my last marathon time was 3:40. I'm running another marathon in about a month.

Thanks.

Malto
02-18-2013, 20:13
Yes, unless you are looking to do a quick JMT hike, less than ten days or you have a very heavy pack. With your running base you will have an easier time with the higher elevation. I would continue your running training, sprinkle in some long day hikes and give it a go.

Coffee
02-18-2013, 20:17
I'm actually planning what I think is a leisurely pace - probably 18 hiking days plus two zero or near zero days which works out to about 12.5 miles/day for the hike. My base weight should be just under 20 pounds, average weight with food/water about 28-30 pounds and maximum weight after my last resupply may be pushing 38-40 pounds.

I actually would like to fast pack the JMT someday but I think that would be a different type of trip.

Malto
02-18-2013, 20:22
You are in better running shape than I was back when I hiked the JMT in ten days. With the pace your going you be fine.

Cookerhiker
02-18-2013, 21:30
...With your running base you will have an easier time with the higher elevation.... .

This statement is contrary to everything I've read and heard about acclimation. A person's aerobic fitness, even at a marathon level - does not necessarily benefit him/her for high elevation acclimation. The wife of my JMT hiking partner was a marathon runner but didn't go on the hike because she could never acclimate over 9,000'.

However, the OP has stated he's hiking the JMT leisurely at 12.5 mpd. Starting out slow and allowing his body time to acclimate will greatly improve his odds of success.

Coffee
02-18-2013, 21:43
Thanks for the responses. In terms of acclimating, I am planning on a couple of days in Yosemite Valley prior to the hike although 4,000 feet isn't all that high. I'm taking a slowish pace from YV up to Tuolumne with a zero somewhere prior to Red's.

Malto
02-18-2013, 22:10
This statement is contrary to everything I've read and heard about acclimation. A person's aerobic fitness, even at a marathon level - does not necessarily benefit him/her for high elevation acclimation. The wife of my JMT hiking partner was a marathon runner but didn't go on the hike because she could never acclimate over 9,000'.

However, the OP has stated he's hiking the JMT leisurely at 12.5 mpd. Starting out slow and allowing his body time to acclimate will greatly improve his odds of success.

Im wasn't talking about acclimation per say. Having good aerobic fitness will do wonders for folks as they are plodding along going up Mather or Glen passes. Will it help elevation sickness, who knows but no doubt it will help hiking inclines at elevation.

AggieAl
02-18-2013, 22:40
I am both a runner (over 25 marathons) and like to hike. From a training point of view they do conflict. IMHO the running will help a lot with the JMT, but the hike is going to result in a slower marathon time. I have found that it is hard to get back to running after a long hike.

I think you are correct to do the hike. There are lots of marathons, but just one JMT. You might want to do a little more hill running before your hike. When you get done with the hike you will have strong but slow legs. You may want to do weekly speed work as soon as you get back.

You should be able to complete and enjoy both. The Marine Corps Marathon is a great and very well run event. I have done it twice.

Sounds like a great fall.

Coffee
02-18-2013, 23:00
I have about 5 1/2 weeks between getting back from the JMT until the marathon. I figure that I will go with my usual 18 week training plan except start it three weeks earlier than normal to account for the hike. Then I should be able to resume training after the hike and, with five+ weeks, I would have enough time to build up to a final 20+ mile training run before starting the taper phase. I'm not that concerned about my time for the race - the MCM is just such a great race to participate in with all the crowds and the military participation.

fiddlehead
02-18-2013, 23:27
Your marathon race may end up a little slower than possible but the experience of hiking the JMT will make it well worth it.
Enjoy both.
I am one that will second the point made that someone who is in shape for running a marathon will have an easier time with high altitude than someone who is out of shape.

I'll also go out on a limb and say that the first time at altitude is the toughest. Especially sleeping high.

ajwatson
02-18-2013, 23:45
You should go for it! It seems like you are more than confident in your fitness to pull off both the JMT hike and the marathon. Certainly you need to fit in some hiking to get your gear figured out for the JMT. Your training for the marathon will be sub par, but you said time wasn't an issue, so I don't think that really matters as long as you feel you can finish.

I haven't hiked the JMT itself, but a few years ago I went backpacking in the Yosemite High Sierra with my family. I am a runner, and the altitude didn't seem to affect me that much (I live at sea level), even when I went out trail running after making it to camp. Then again, I suppose everyone reacts differently...

CarlZ993
02-19-2013, 00:11
I hiked the JMT in 17 days w/ no zeros in '04. I ran a marathon the previous Feb as well as the following Feb around the hike. Obviously, lot of time in between the two.

If I were in your shoes, I'd concentrate on the running and not worry about the training hikes. I know that may be considered blasphemy on this blog. You are obviously in shape based on your marathon PR. 12 miles a day on the JMT would be an 18-day hike (w/ no zeros). You'll be hitting camp in mid-afternoon or so if you hike fairly straight through. If you take a more leisurely pace (stop & smell the roses, so to speak), you still have plenty of daylight once you get to camp.

I think your marathon time will suffer some from your JMT hike. Instead of trying to hammer the marathon, you might try a few alternative approaches: pace a slower runner, start at the rear of the race and slowly make your way through the crowd, carry a camera and stop & take lots of pics during the race, etc. Make it an event instead of a race. Use it as a good base for your next marathon (where you can hammer to your heart's content).

Note on acclimation: If you got a few days, acclimate at Tuolumne Meadows instead of Yosemite Valley. Higher elevation. Farily level. You could even get a few miles of running while you're there. If you camp @ Tuolumne Meadows, pay special attention to the bears there. Really bad. I've had two different bears walk within spitting distance of me while standing next to my tent (separate trips, no less).

Pedaling Fool
02-19-2013, 11:35
I am both a runner (over 25 marathons) and like to hike. From a training point of view they do conflict. IMHO the running will help a lot with the JMT, but the hike is going to result in a slower marathon time. I have found that it is hard to get back to running after a long hike.

I think you are correct to do the hike. There are lots of marathons, but just one JMT. You might want to do a little more hill running before your hike. When you get done with the hike you will have strong but slow legs. You may want to do weekly speed work as soon as you get back.

You should be able to complete and enjoy both. The Marine Corps Marathon is a great and very well run event. I have done it twice.

Sounds like a great fall.

I think this post hit it dead center. I personally used my thru-hike to get my lazy ass into running, because as I see it, hiking mountains and running has a lot in common. And it worked perfectly for me; after my hike I was able to transition into running very easily I started about 2 months after my thru and it was such an easy transition.

However, if one were already to have running legs, such as the OP seems to then I can see how a hike would slow down one's time, just as stated above.

P.S. I don't think thru-hiking a flat trail, such as the Florida Trail would have given me the same results, since walking on flat ground is much different than walking in the mountains.

fredmugs
02-20-2013, 13:33
I don't run anymore but I do live in flat Indiana. Last year I did the JMT and was able to knock out a few 20 mile days. The elevation was tough for me but only while climbing and only above 11,000 feet. Unless you have a genetic intolerance to altitude you'll be fine.

You do not need to train for hiking. Let me repeat that: You do not need to train for hiking. I ride an exercise bike which makes me less prepared than you are with your running regiment. I never put a pack on until I hit the trail.

Coffee
02-20-2013, 13:48
The only training I feel like I may need is getting used to walking with a pack day after day. I'm not used to that. I feel like my cardio health is in the best shape of my life right now but I don't really do much upper body training. I know that a pack will transfer much of the weight to my lower body and my pack is a good one (ULA Catalyst) so there probably isn't much to worry about.

jbwood5
02-20-2013, 13:53
It really depends on your priorities and goals. You can't substitute a hike for running training (and to some degree the reverse if you expect to carry a heavy 30-40 lb pack). I can just about guarantee you will complete the marathon, but it will be at a slower pace. If you were shooting for a Boston qualifier, forget the hike because you loose a certain amount of oxygen processing capability plus your muscles loose speed conditioning.

One compromise is to do the hike and allow 2-1/2 to 3 weeks for you training. You won't need the long 20 mile training runs, but start by building up with shorter/faster runs and your oxygen uptake will come back quickly. Hiking with a pack, up and down mountains is great cross training and strength training and gives you awesome endurance, but no speed.

k2basecamp
02-20-2013, 13:58
First, 40-50 miles per week is really not marathon training. The JMT hike will not hurt your marathon time - in fact you will probably run faster, the hiking will help to balance out your leg muscles, you will probably lose a few pounds, and you willhave a better ability to concentrate over the marathon distance.. I would suggest that you increase your weekly mileage

K2basecamp
2:49 marathon at age 50

Coffee
02-20-2013, 14:30
I agree that 40-50 mpw is not sufficient to break 3 hours but it definitely is within the typical range of those of us in the 3:30 to 4:00 range. I'd love to increase my mileage to 60-70 mpw and go for a Boston qualifying time but that's definitely not in the cards this year - the JMT is more important!

Thanks to everyone for the advice - I do feel better about being able to do the JMT hike as well as run the MCM albeit with understanding that my time won't be optimal.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2013, 14:37
Notwithstanding any high-elevation acclimation issues (per my previous post), a marathoner should have no problems being "in shape" for the JMT. When I started my JMT thru in '06, my hiking partner was a marathoner who had never backpacked in his life (mid-50s), only car-camped. He did absolutely fine.