PDA

View Full Version : Yet another gear list in progress for your review ;)

RibbonInTheWillow
02-19-2013, 05:03
So I'm working off Backpacker magazine's thru hike gear list, and this is my progress so far:

CLOTHING
Capilene tee
cap 4 hoody patagonia
mountain hardwear monkey jacket fleece
down hoody jacket
ems cargo convertible pants
cap long underwear pants
x4 pair underwear (ex oficio, etc)
isis bra
x4 pair smartwool hiking socks
handkerchief
buff
glove liners and wool mittens
wool hat
(still need bug net and sun hat and rain gear or poncho)
Merrell avian goretex hiking shoe
New balance minimums camp shoes
ipod touch and eearphones
cell phone

GEAR
Gregory jade 60 pack, to test vs osprey aura 65
north face cat walk bag
hennessy hammock, ultralite asym zip and stock tarp
(thinking about double bubble insulation mat for hammock)
thermarest 3/4 mat
HEadlamp
water bladder and Nalgene bottles x2
water tabs as backup to steri pen
multi tool knife
compass
(still need: first aid kit
maps
deet
toiletries
bear bag and hanging stuff
notebook and pen,
still deciding on whether to bring my canon camera due to weight)
spork
optimus terra weekend cookset
snowpeak stove and canister

any thoughts, suggestions or improvements? Thanks!

bigcranky
02-19-2013, 09:07
Initial reactions:

The Cap 4 is a nice mid layer piece. You probably don't need both the monkey jacket fleece and the down jacket - I'd skip the fleece and take the down and the Cap 4. One way to think about clothing layers is this: can you wear all of them at the same time? If not, start thinking about leaving something at home. (This doesn't count things like underwear and maybe a second base layer to sleep in.)

The 3/4 pad in a hammock is fine except in cold weather, then my feet and legs get cold. It's also a heavier combo to take both a Thermarest *and* a hammock, unless you plan on sleeping in shelters a lot (at which point a lighter personal shelter would be better.) But hammocks are great, so think about making it warmer inside the hammock, maybe with a good underquilt, which will work better than any sort of mat or bubble wrap.

I don't see any rain gear.

tds1195
02-19-2013, 09:57

still deciding on whether to bring my canon camera due to weight

I would bring a camera for sure - if your cannon is too heavy think about upgrading. I think that ,no matter what, the camera will be worth the extra weight in the end, though (unless your cell phone has a decent camera - then that will work fine - just get a bigger micro sd card for lots of photos).

BrianLe
02-19-2013, 11:33
I find it difficult to assess this list --- no weights given, hard to tell much about various equipment items without looking them up (temp rating of that sleeping bag? is it synthetic or down? What's in that "cookset"? etc). In some cases looking things up isn't even possible ("headlamp", "multitool knife", "cell phone"). Also helpful to know start date, and direction (NOBO, SOBO). I presume the trail you're hiking is the AT.
Four pairs of socks seems like a lot to me, unless it's two pairs of liners and two wool socks. Ditto four pairs of underwear, but everyone is different there. Bringing charger for the phone? Ditto ipod?
Are the long underwear to be warm enough while sleeping or for use during the day? Are the shoes so uncomfortable that you really need separate camp shoes?
Do you use trekking poles? Maps/guidebook pages? Always easier to review a list that's asserted to be complete.

Sorry, don't mean to sound really critical here! Just some stream-of-consciousness reactions to looking this over.

Sensei
02-20-2013, 13:23
You probably won't need the Cap 4, the fleece, AND the down hoody unless you're starting ahead of the pack. A Cap 2 or 3 will be a much more versatile piece of clothing as you progress up the trail. Once it gets warm (or once you pass Mt. Rogers) you will only need a light jacket plus rain gear.

Goretex vs. breathable shoes is entirely a matter of opinion, but most experienced LD hikers will tell you that goretex shoes are not a good decision, even on the rainy east coast. They won't keep out anything more than light precipitation (esp in a low-cut version), but they are grrrreat! at keeping your feet sweaty and (therefore) prone to blisters. And once they're wet it takes them forever to dry. My advice would be to go w/ breathable shoes.

You will probably find the New Balance minimus to be way overkill for camp shoes. I recommend Waldies, which are like Crocs but much lighter. The whole point of a camp shoe for most of us is to allow our feet to air out.

Don't know if you have a smart phone, but if you put it in airplane mode you can get a lot of battery life for listening to tunes, allowing you to ditch the iPod.

4 pairs of underwear and socks are more than most people end up carrying, but I suggest beginning the trail with what you are comfortable with. As you get more used to living in a constant state of filth :) you may want to trim this down a bit.

Ditch the nalgenes and use disposable soda or water bottles instead. That's 3/4 of a pound saved right there.

I met a lot of people who started the trail with steripens, and I didn't know a single person who finished the trail with one. Evidently some people can make them work, but most people find they are prone to malfunctioning. As a rule, I try not to rely on electronic equipment while hiking when there's a perfectly good non-electronic alternate available. Chemicals are the route most people go (aquamira or just plain bleach). If you don't like that idea you might look at the new Sawyer squeeze filter.

You won't need a map and compass on the A.T. I know this sounds like foolish advice - I thought so too and I insisted on finding out for myself. You may wish to do the same if it makes you feel more comfortable at the outset. On the other hand, a guidebook is ESSENTIAL for info about shelters, water sources, and town amenities. This is the best: http://www.amazon.com/T-Guide-2013-David-Miller/dp/0982980825/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1361380483&sr=1-1&keywords=at+guide

Make sure to do a shakedown hike before you begin your thru to help you figure out how your gear is going to work. And don't worry if you find you need to change something. Almost everyone makes a few changes near the beginning of their hike.

RibbonInTheWillow
02-23-2013, 01:51
Thank you guys so much!! This was super helpful... I do have the atc guide and data books, forgot to list those. I do have backup aqua Mira tabs if I strike out with the steri pen. I already had the mesh NB minimus on hand, and they're lightweight so I thought they'd do well... I am thinking about upgrading to a smart phone. SO pleased to learn about airplane mode! Thanks!

and brianle, no problem appearing critical, I am asking for constructive criticism, so thank you :) I have assessed individual weights but not yet altogether, though I'm thinking it is <30lbs. And yes I am purchasing trekking poles, black diamond trail back treks.

Tds1195, I agree, I love my camera very much and I think I'll take it!

big cranky :) thank you or advice about the hammock, several things have befuddled me there so far, including insulation and tarp concerns. Hennessy sells a bubble mat I've nconsidered, and I have to say the under quilts I've seen look GIGANTIC and I'm trying to keep it light but I am generally a bit cold all the time.

Thanks so much, I'll go in and edit and post the final list soon :)

Sensei
02-23-2013, 12:04
Another thing I didn't see on your list is a pack cover or pack liner. Out west I can get away with one or the other, but on the AT it's not a bad idea to have both. I found that one out the hard way.

Bucketfoot
02-23-2013, 12:30
Water bladder or bottles. I see no need to carry both. Also fill those water bottles and add 3to 4 days food and you have added quite a bit of weight to your total pack weight which is something to consider also. Hope you enjoy your hike!

RibbonInTheWillow
03-03-2013, 11:51
I was thinking garbage bags for pack cover/liner?

Drybones
03-03-2013, 13:48
If you have not purchased, yet I'd look at a lighter pack if your total pack weight will be under 30 lbs, I'd also go with a lightweight wool tee shirt to wear while hiking and sweating to keep the BO down.

SMSP
03-03-2013, 14:14
Where's the link to this....................."Backpacker magazine's thru hike gear list" Thanks!

RibbonInTheWillow
03-04-2013, 21:51
Here's the link to my final gear list, and the skeleton list I saw on Backpacker Magazine that I worked from. Again, thanks for all the help! You all are great :)

Mine: http://ribboninthewillow.wordpress.com/2013/03/05/gear-list/
Backpacker Magazine: http://www.backpacker.com/appalachian_trail_gear_list/gear/12536

Dr.Green
03-04-2013, 22:04
So I'm working off Backpacker magazine's thru hike gear list, and this is my progress so far:

CLOTHING
Capilene tee
cap 4 hoody patagonia
mountain hardwear monkey jacket fleece
down hoody jacket
ems cargo convertible pants
cap long underwear pants
x4 pair underwear (ex oficio, etc)
isis bra
x4 pair smartwool hiking socks
handkerchief
buff
glove liners and wool mittens
wool hat
Merrell avian goretex hiking shoe
New balance minimums camp shoes
ipod touch and eearphones
cell phone

GEAR
Gregory jade 60 pack, to test vs osprey aura 65
north face cat walk bag
hennessy hammock, ultralite asym zip and stock tarp
(thinking about double bubble insulation mat for hammock)
thermarest 3/4 mat
HEadlamp
water bladder and Nalgene bottles x2
water tabs as backup to steri pen
multi tool knife
compass
(still need: first aid kit
maps
deet
toiletries
bear bag and hanging stuff
notebook and pen,
still deciding on whether to bring my canon camera due to weight)
spork
optimus terra weekend cookset
snowpeak stove and canister

any thoughts, suggestions or improvements? Thanks!

I would ditch the Nalgene bottles and grab a few Platypus soft bottles they compress real small. Definitely bring a camera but you might need to upgrade to a lighter one. What is your Base weight? Rain gear? Have Fun!

Dr.Green
03-04-2013, 22:28
Ah I see your list- Still ditch the Nalgene bottles. Base weight ok at 20lbs but a few pounds less will make the hike more comfortable in the long run. Have a Great time..

Darwin Foltz
03-04-2013, 23:42
I would skip the pack cover and go with a Trash Compactor bag on the inside of you pack. Just tie it in a knot and it works great. Just send a new one in your resupplies every 3 weeks. I hiked in some nasty Sierra Nevada storms with the compactor bags and faired very well.

RibbonInTheWillow
03-05-2013, 11:29
I keep seeing people recommend trash compactor bags... Gonna go look it up. Thanks y'all!

1azarus
03-05-2013, 12:00
I'd suggest spending time thinking about and refining your hammock decisions. What do you own already? Are you one of the "I will only sleep in a hammock or I will die" users, or are you one of the "I like to sleep in the shelter when it might rain or if there are interesting people around, or if I'm too tired to bother setting up" users. If you want to have shelter/hammock flexibility, you should consider bringing the thermarest, along with a gossamer gear foam pad. You can use both in the hammock when it is cold, use both in the shelter, and lose the gossamer gear foam pad when it gets a bit warmer. I would be very very very suspicious of the performance/usefulness of that Hennessey bubble product. If you are more committed to hammocking, you might consider getting a summer weight down underquilt which you could use with a gossamer gear foam pad when cold, alone when warm, and still use the foam pad for the rare night in a shelter. Oh, and I agree on the lighter backpack advice, fewer items of clothing. And the stock rain fly is absolutely fine to use if you camp near shelters in the rain so you have a dry spot to escape to. There isn't a square foot of extra coverage, but it does work! Mostly, have a spectacular time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RibbonInTheWillow
03-06-2013, 02:06
Hey all, after looking over all the advice, I'm planning to: ditch 1 Nalgene bottle (keep 1 for hot water bottle), ditch two pairs of underwear, one pair socks, add a foam pad, add a trash compactor liner bag and rain cover. Probably forgot something but you all have great advice :)

RibbonInTheWillow
03-17-2013, 04:32
Final weight without water: 29.8 lbs. this is really happening! Leave Friday :)

slbirdnerd
03-17-2013, 11:08
If you can swing it, this is a great outdoor camera with super video quality, Nikon Coolpix A100, waterproof/shockproof, 6.5 oz without the cord, love mine: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Nikon-16.0MP-Nikon-AW100-Ong/17285608. Have a great hike!!!