PDA

View Full Version : Need advice from old wise guys ... Sleeping pad ...

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 05:15
I have two questions :

1rst - The pad I currently use is a Pacific Outdoor Equipment X-Lite compact Rupert Series (regular, full). Its a discontinued model I bought on sale two years ago in a sport retailer. I bought the two he had, 35$ each. I found absolutely no information on this model on the net. But it weight 570g on my scale and is almost 3 inches thick when inflated. It feel very sturdy compared to UL recent stuff and is actually lighter than some of the top selling (and expensive) pad on todays market. Also, very comfortable.

So my question : Got any experience with this sleeping pad ? Info ?

2nd - I will be on the market for a lighter one (in the 300-400g range). Any suggestions ? 3 seasons. Inflated.

Thanks ...

Kerosene
02-19-2013, 09:57
No experience with the X-Lite, but a lot with the NeoAir. I use a 2.5" thick NeoAir shortie pad (270g; 9 oz) with my backpack under my feet. I love everything about it except for the width, as my elbows fall off the sides when I'm lying on my back. Early models appeared to have some problems with delamination or leaks, and some people seem to think they're noisy, but I love mine. It is a huge improvement from the 1.5" Therm-a-Rest pads of old, especially for a side sleeper. The full length version is wider and would still come in below your 400g upper limit. Expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

swjohnsey
02-19-2013, 10:23
What he said. I went from Prolite 3 to Neoair Xlite short (8 oz). I was concerned that it would not be durable enough. It seems to be more puncture resistant than the old Thermarest. I never had a problem with it being noisy. Much, much more compact than the Prolite. Only downside I see is the price.

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 10:40
Thx Kerosene.

I had a chance to buy a used Neoair back in 2010 for 50 bucks. At that time, they were 150$ new. I didnt. I just bought the sleeping bag he had to offer. Now I wish I did but I remember I wasnt confident at all about em at that time.

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 10:49
NeoAir Xlite, 160$ for the regular. Ouch. Almost as expensive as my tent (contrail). These guys at Thermarest are crazy, even tho their pads are great.

Mags
02-19-2013, 11:47
The old wise guys suggest something about sleeping with the fishes...

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 12:06
Anybody use the pads from Kooka Bay ? It weird there is so many different tent makers (for example) and only 3 or 4 competitive sleeping pad makers : thermarest, exped, agnes ... nemo. Thats it.

mark jer
02-19-2013, 12:33
I use a foam pad and dig a little hole in the ground for my hips

colorado_rob
02-19-2013, 12:47
Yep, same, I swear by the Neo Air shortie, though I still have the older model (pre-Xlite), 9 oz. It has been on sale on Campmore for $80. I even bought a second one, thinking my first one WILL eventually fail, but I tell you, it just keeps on going, no leaks in about 100 nights of use. In colder weather, I supplement it with a 1/4" thick CCF pad, full length, about 6 more ounces, total still under a pound, 15 oz = about 425 grams. I think I will take both for the first 500 miles or so of the AT (NOBO).

10-K
02-19-2013, 12:57
I've got 3 Neoairs (a short for me, 2 regulars for wife/son).

Never had a problem.

But, but, but.... if you hike long enough you'll meet someone carrying one that has a hole in it and they'll swear they'll never trust one again.

I've met a few of these folks.

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 12:58
Yep, same, I swear by the Neo Air shortie, though I still have the older model (pre-Xlite), 9 oz. It has been on sale on Campmore for $80. I even bought a second one, thinking my first one WILL eventually fail, but I tell you, it just keeps on going, no leaks in about 100 nights of use. In colder weather, I supplement it with a 1/4" thick CCF pad, full length, about 6 more ounces, total still under a pound, 15 oz = about 425 grams. I think I will take both for the first 500 miles or so of the AT (NOBO).

So I shouldnt worry too much about my 35$ XLite I guess. Its a great deal so far.

And @mark jer

Great tip the hole under the hip. I come I never tought about this one. Thx. If I have a puncture with my inflated, I hope I will remember this.

swjohnsey
02-19-2013, 14:11
They make a special patch kit for Neoair. I bought one but never used it. Finally put it in my bounce box.

leaftye
02-19-2013, 14:30
My only recommendation is to buy from REI. It may cost more, but it gives you a measure of insurance if your pad fails.

Anybody use the pads from Kooka Bay ?

Sadly, that business went away a little over a year ago. Unfortunately Bender tarnished his brand equity on the way out, so he didn't find any takers when he tried selling his business.

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 15:05
My only recommendation is to buy from REI. It may cost more, but it gives you a measure of insurance if your pad fails.

Sadly, that business went away a little over a year ago. Unfortunately Bender tarnished his brand equity on the way out, so he didn't find any takers when he tried selling his business.

Pacific Outdoor Equipment is gone too (now Hyalite Equipment ?). Man, that left us with very few compagnies. How come I can buy tens and tens of different top notch UL tents and sleepingbags ... and a NeoAir ? I dont get it.

leaftye
02-19-2013, 15:13
Pacific Outdoor Equipment is gone too (now Hyalite Equipment ?). Man, that left us with very few compagnies. How come I can buy tens and tens of different top notch UL tents and sleepingbags ... and a NeoAir ? I dont get it.

Pads must have the highest rate of returns of any type of gear. That has to be tough.

Don't forget Warmlite. They make the warmest pads, and the weight is impressive too, even if the build quality is not.

Heavier, but... There are a couple more companies like Alps and Browning that sell pads, but I think their pads are rebranded. There's also Coleman. Occasionally they have a decent pad....err, rarely.

SoCalled
02-19-2013, 17:31
Pads must have the highest rate of returns of any type of gear. That has to be tough.

Don't forget Warmlite. They make the warmest pads, and the weight is impressive too, even if the build quality is not.

Heavier, but... There are a couple more companies like Alps and Browning that sell pads, but I think their pads are rebranded. There's also Coleman. Occasionally they have a decent pad....err, rarely.

You are definitely right. Return ratio must be one of the major problem for the makers. Thx for the clever comment.

Rain Man
02-19-2013, 21:58
I have and had had a goodly assortment of sleeping pads. Being older and a side sleeper, I was never happy with them. Recently I purchased a Big Agnes Insulated Q-core, which I swapped for a Big Agnes Insulated Q-core SL. Both are 3.5" thick and have good R-ratings, but the latter packs smaller and is lighter. Size Regular is $160, but I had a discount coupon and a store credit, so didn't have to pay full price out-of-pocket.

At 3.5", they are about the thickest sleeping pads I've found, but for even more comfort, I've started piling up leaves first. Get enough of those and you'll sleep cradled in comfort and warmth, even on your side.

Rain Man

SoCalled
02-20-2013, 05:44
Hey Thx RainMan

I wrote this one down. BA Insulated Q-Core SL. Reviews are excellent and your first hand input is much appreciated. At 595g, its still in the same range of my current pad, tho.

Ill think about this one. Thx.

JAK
02-20-2013, 08:30
I really think you should use a blue foam pad or at least work it into your system.

Odd Man Out
02-20-2013, 11:47
I really think you should use a blue foam pad or at least work it into your system.

I like the combo method. The Short Neo air with a full length thin closed cell foam pad. The pad underneath helps protect from Neoair from punctures. It provides some padding and insulation for the legs. Plus in the event of a Neoair puncture, the pad is an emergency backup.

QiWiz
02-20-2013, 11:53
I got a POE pad and it developed a slow leak through a faulty seam on day 2 of a nine day trip. I was PO'd at POE, needless to say. Not surprised they are out of the biz. I like the NeoAirs, though expensive and crunchy - they are warmer than you might expect for an air mattress. I can use one down to freezing with no additional bottom insulation. Below that, I add a thin layer (5-6 mm) of closed cell foam underneath. I like the BA pumpsack to inflate them, especially in winter, so condensed moisture from my lungs does not accumulate inside and add weight.

SoCalled
02-20-2013, 11:55
I like the combo method. The Short Neo air with a full length thin closed cell foam pad. The pad underneath helps protect from Neoair from punctures. It provides some padding and insulation for the legs. Plus in the event of a Neoair puncture, the pad is an emergency backup.

Thats why I like blogs. Good ideas like that.

SoCalled
02-20-2013, 13:46
Thx for the great tips (combo method is great). I will order a CC pad with whatever the inflated I chose to buy.

Thx guys.