PDA

View Full Version : Trail runners or waterproof boots for snow hiking

abbykat234
02-19-2013, 08:36
Are trail runners a good idea even for snowy days? I have brooks cascadias and have never hiked in anything but a trail running shoe, however, Ive never done extended hikes through the snow wearing them. Im starting my thru hike on March 10th and know that there will be quite a bit of snow starting out. Should I get a waterproof hiking shoe/boot to wear through the rest of the cold weather or should I just stick to the trail runners?

chilln
02-19-2013, 08:50
I love my trail runners except for hiking in the snow. If your feet get wet and cold equals misery.

Lyle
02-19-2013, 08:53
Depends how much snow. I chose to purchase some GoreTex trail runners for a trip to northern Minnesota in early May a few years back. There was still some areas of snow from winter and we had additional two to three inches of wet snow fall on us. I didn't have wet feet. Carry an extra pair or two of wool socks and you can rotate them around. Trail Runners dry fairly quickly when you wear them dry.

Gaiters will help with deeper snow. If I were expecting mostly deep snow(northern snowshoe trip), as opposed to occasional deep snow (AT in spring), I would go with mid-height boots and gaiters.

Totally personal choice, higher boots are safest bet, but may not be most comfortable most of the time.

BrianLe
02-19-2013, 11:44
You might search for other threads on this topic; I know I've added a comment on this very same subject on WB at least once before.

I started in late Feb my year and used trail runners throughout. If you go this route, do test out this approach before committing to it. There is no clear consensus on what's "best", with advantages on both sides. I'm not sure what I would go with were I doing it again, but probably trail runners. Rocky brand gore-tex socks are pretty good at mitigating things, and the shoes dry out faster once wet, and are easier to put on in the morning if frozen solid. But of course the shoes get wet-out more often than boots.

The problem with snow is that it comes in so many varieties. If you're going to be in a lot of transition zone snow, i.e., where you walk up into snow and then down below snow level, with a whole lot of streaming water on the trail in between, I definitely prefer shoes then, as any footwear will get wet in those conditions (PCT in the Sierras for a thru-hiker is the prime example for me). That's not the case in the AT, except as I recall coming down out of the Smokies, and then it was coming down to get into a hostel ("Standing Bear" I think it was?) that same day. It can still be slushy, though, so if you do wear boots I'd definitely have at least a minimal gaiter to keep snow/water from coming in from the top.

snowblind
02-19-2013, 13:16
Hiked parts of trail in non-waterproof/non-goretex trail runners in 3-5 inches of snow. Feet never really got cold unless I stopped for more than 10 minutes. Trail-runners would then 'freeze' over night, the outside... but were fine after 20~ minutes the next morning. Anything deeper though, and hiking boots are needed IMO. Gore-tex or waterproof preferred for that, and proper thick/wool socks.

Kerosene
02-19-2013, 13:58
I've done a number of hikes in 3"-6" of new snow. I definitely don't like to wear my non-waterproof boots in this situation, although it doesn't get bad while you're walking until you get closer to 20-degree temps. My Gore-tex boots are definitely appreciated in that situation. In either case, it does make a lot of sense to supplement with at least shortie gaitors to keep the snow from getting into your boots and melting. I end up sweating like a pig in Gore-tex booties, so I tend to avoid these in all but the coldest conditions.

tds1195
02-19-2013, 15:28
Personal preference...I use my waterproofs for snow trips, though, unless I'm taking snowshoes.

leaftye
02-19-2013, 16:01
The problem with snow is that it comes in so many varieties.

This is key.

For me, if I can mostly walk on it, I'll take trail running shoes. If I'm mostly walking in it, I'd like something that'll keep the snow out.

1azarus
02-19-2013, 16:02
I generally agree with brianle. A related issue is sock thickness in cold weather. I love cascadias, too... Perhaps the solution is to get a size bigger pair of cascadias to begin, with room for a thicker sock and a rocky gore tex sock, then switch out when snow is less likely. Note that you need to get those gore tex socks at least one size larger.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

jeffmeh
02-19-2013, 17:19
I generally agree with brianle. A related issue is sock thickness in cold weather. I love cascadias, too... Perhaps the solution is to get a size bigger pair of cascadias to begin, with room for a thicker sock and a rocky gore tex sock, then switch out when snow is less likely. Note that you need to get those gore tex socks at least one size larger.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Rocky is selling the 13" Goretex socks for $37. Pretty good deal, but sizes are limited. http://www.rockyboots.com/Product-Details/4636/1600FQ0008013/Rocky_13''_GORE-TEX®_Socks/

For sizing, I normally take a 10.5 or 11 shoe, and the Rocky 11's just work over a pair of Darn Tough full-cushion boot socks. I may have to try a 12 some time, but they are hard to find at a discounted price.

garlic08
02-19-2013, 18:41
Another trick to try out when hiking in running shoes is "bagtex". Keep a couple of bread bags handy and use them over the socks on the coldest, slushiest mornings to keep your feet a little warmer. Don't use them all day or you'll have skin problems. That trick worked well in some winter conditions on my AT hike. In fact, I had to help out a guy with frostbitten feet in the Smokies and he had Goretex lined leather boots. It clearly isn't the gear, it's how you use it.

QiWiz
02-20-2013, 12:01
Rocky brand gore-tex socks are pretty good at mitigating things, and the shoes dry out faster once wet, and are easier to put on in the morning if frozen solid. But of course the shoes get wet-out more often than boots.

+1
also used trail runners with (if needed) gore-tex socks as my solution to this dilemma; pretty happy with the results.

IMO, if your boots are "waterproof", they won't be for long, and a boot takes much longer to dry than a light trail runner.

BrianLe
02-20-2013, 14:25
The comments about 3" - 6" of snow interest me. Almost all the hiking I've done in snow in trail runners has been on consolidated spring snow --- new snow doesn't often enter into it in May/June/July. In that context a comment about snow depth doesn't matter much unless it's the afternoon and you're postholing. In fact, in the springtime, 3" of snow depth total is often the area where you're walking in a lot of snow melt (water) --- I generally prefer to either be above that walking on greater snow depth, or well enough below it that the trail isn't a stream.

I'm NOT saying that you can't use trail runners in other snow conditions, though my experience at this is relatively low --- just a few trips in my local area, a few days in Colorado on the CDT, and there was some new-ish (light, fluffy) snow on the AT at times too. I'm just saying that in the context of the O.P. starting a thru-hike in early March (on the AT I would guess), new snow is certainly possible but not likely to be much of an issue. At least in 2010 I think maybe we had one dump of a couple of inches in March in N.C./Tennesee and that was it.

snowblind
02-20-2013, 15:13
tds1195,

And if you are taking snowshoes, what then? Doubt I'll be needing snowshoes in VA March 1, but would still like to know the scenario...

kidchill
02-20-2013, 18:36
I did a SOBO thru just last year and after Sandy hit I was climbing out of Pearisburg in my trail runners (2ft snow drifts on whatever that mountain was)...It was one of the most uncomfortable days I had on the trail! My feet were frozen and even worse, was putting on frozen socks and shoes the next morning. I really didn't have any problems after that, but that one day sucked so bad, I really did wish I had boots...I do, however, like the idea of gortex socks. I prefer trail runners to boots and if I had some gortex socks, I probably would've been much happier. I won't tell you what to do either way, 'cause I hate it when people do that, but for the minimal weight of gortex socks, it may be a good idea. Always plan for the worst weather possible. Also, I'd look into gaiters (if you're not already using them). Alot of NOBO's were using Dirty Girl gaiters. I picked up some Mount Hardware ultralight gaiters in NH and used them all the way to GA. I can't stand those huge gaiters that strap under the shoe/boot. I wore Cascadias for quite awhile and they have a really low-cut ankle on them, so gaiters were a must for me.

rocketsocks
02-20-2013, 18:40
I go with boots in the snow, gaiters if it's deep. snowshoes if it's deeper still.