PDA

View Full Version : Dicks Creeks Gap and Neels Gap Parking

squallace87
02-19-2013, 09:09
I have a lot of questions, so bare with me here. First of all, is it ok to leave your car at Neels Gap and Dicks Creek Gap for about 4-5 days?

Second, are there any camping spots at Dicks Creek Gap like there is at Woodys Gap?

And lastly, about how long of a drive is it to get from Neels Gap parking lot to Dicks Creek Gap parking lot?

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to nail down some specifics.

Hikes in Rain
02-19-2013, 09:25
Parking is pretty safe at both places. I don't think Dicks Creek has established campsites, but the Companion lists one (with water) 1.1 miles north. There are several little streams half a mile south. Pretty area, and where there's water, someone has probably camped there. That being said, if there's a flat(ish) spot large enough for your tent, or two appropriately spaced trees if you use a hammock arrangement, there's your camp.

Google Maps says 49 miles driving between the two, a little over an hour.

squallace87
02-19-2013, 10:39
Thanks, this is very helpful.

Have you been to Bettys Country store near Unicoi Gap? Last year, my buddies and I picked up a ride at Woodys and went to Suches. Just in case I get real hungry like I did last year.

Hikes in Rain
02-19-2013, 10:46
That's the one down in Helen? I have. Nice, but pricy. Catered more to the tourist/cabin renter crowd than hikers. I recall they had great steaks, though! It's quite a hitch down there, though, if I remember correctly.

Glad I could help. That's a great section to hike; I thoroughly enjoyed it.

soulrebel
02-19-2013, 11:34
First of all, you'll need to park at the byron reese lot 1/4 mile down from the store at Neel gap. Limited parking at the store and it's for employees and customers, so you don't want to end up with an orange cone behind your car... lol If you want a shuttle, just ask Lumpy ($) to take you to dick's creek and hike back to the store...then you can hang out amongst the thruhiker madness at the end of your hike.

Razor
02-19-2013, 11:37
For clarification ,you can not park at Neel gap, but the parking is 1/2 mile north @ Bryon Reese . There is flat area south of Dicks creek trailhead . Just return the area as you found it! The established camping north of the gap will have water this time of year . Plan on 3/4 to 1 hour shuttle time. Also if you hitch trail west to Hiawassee from either Unicoi or Dick's Creek you will find a much better trail town( it is the same distance as Helen). and depending on the time of year, Ron @ Budget there gives free shuttles to his motel-a great hiker place!

squallace87
02-20-2013, 09:01
Do any of you know if Unicoi has any campsites? And thanks for all of the other info, I pretty much have a shuttle in place that will take me from Neels Gap area to Dicks Creek Gap. So I've been marking all of the possible campsites/shelters along my route. I have a guide book that says that Unicoi has a campsite but I'm not sure if its something like Woodys Gap has or if its talking about down the road somewhere (which it should then say campground).

generoll
02-20-2013, 09:53
there is an established campsite approximately 1 mile north of Unicoi Gap. There is also camping at the trail junction with Rocky Mtn trail. You will need to water up at the creek crossing about 1/4 mile before the trail junction.

daddytwosticks
02-20-2013, 17:12
The climb going north out of Unicoi Gap will get your attention. :)

squallace87
02-20-2013, 22:34
I'll be taking the climb out of Unicoi going south but it looks identical in elevation and grade. Thank goodness I did a Tough Mudder training and race last year. :)