PDA

View Full Version : Bag liners

kbarnard
02-19-2013, 11:34
I am leaving for my thru hike at the end of March and I have a 15f degree bag but want to make sure I am warm enough. Has anyone used the Sea to Summit thermolite bag liner? Is it overkill with a 15 degree bag? Would a coolmax option be a better choice to add a few degrees of warmth but also be a good summer option?

slbirdnerd
02-19-2013, 13:45
I wonder if the 15 degree bag would be just fine by itself. I have a 20 and got a sea to summit coolmax liner, more because i hate the feel of the inside of the bags than anything. I haven't had it out in the cold yet but did my research and while the coolmax doesn't promise much if anything for heat, users say it does help. Good luck on your thru, be safe!

bfayer
02-19-2013, 14:01
I have never used a liner that added anywhere near the warmth stated by the manufacture.

I believe you are much better off adding insulating layers you can wear. An ultralight puffy jacket weighs the same as a liner, and can be used for more than sleeping.

For summer use they can be great, but I can tell you from experience that the temps can drop into the 40s in the Virginia Mountains in the summer (not often but it happens) so you will still need a sleeping bag or quilt.

bigcranky
02-19-2013, 14:46
I believe you are much better off adding insulating layers you can wear. An ultralight puffy jacket weighs the same as a liner, and can be used for more than sleeping.

This +infinity.

10-K
02-19-2013, 15:00
But if you're going to be in the bag most nights for several months you can keep your bag cleaner which is important in maintaining the stated warmth with a liner. Just throw the liner in the washer every week or so.

-SEEKER-
02-19-2013, 15:04
But if you're going to be in the bag most nights for several months you can keep your bag cleaner which is important in maintaining the stated warmth with a liner. Just throw the liner in the washer every week or so.
I agree 100%.

bfayer
02-19-2013, 15:08

I agree. I just wanted to dispel any illusion that a thin liner will add any significant warmth.

I do have a few, and they do have their purpose. My daughter uses one all the time in the summer, because she can't stand being uncovered for whatever reason.

The sea to summit liners are good quality and hold up well.

Tramp
03-22-2013, 21:43
Ok..I'm looking for a liner that has a zipper and to keep the bag cleaner not really for the added warmth. I have a kelty cosmic down 20, and will use a kelty 100 fleece liner when its cold but I want sonething for when its not. Any help?

Trail Ponderer
03-22-2013, 22:54
Tramp, I have two Sea to Summit liners. Neither one has a zipper. I think the additional zipper would be a hassle with your bag. I have the Thermolite that states it provides 15 degrees of warmth and I feel has helped on a few cold nights. I would suggest their thin Coolmax version for summer. It feels nicer than laying on the bag plus easy to clean. Good luck.