PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag question

astafford
02-19-2013, 14:05
I'm looking for suggestions for a sleeping bag for a NY-Katahdin hike during June-August. I pack with a NF Blue Kazoo 20 degree bag which I just throw over me when it is warm in Wyoming. What do you think? Too warm? Get a lighter quilt? Thanks!

swamp dawg
02-19-2013, 14:45
I used a 40 degree in 2011 and it was more than I needed. I did have a silk liner just in case but only used it a couple of nights. Most nights I slept on top of my bag in my tent and used my poncho as a cover. swamp dawg

tds1195
02-19-2013, 15:22
I would go for a lighter quilt if it was me.

FarmerChef
02-19-2013, 16:32
+1 for lighter quilt. But what temperature rating depends on how cold you sleep. It can get quite cold in the Whites (from what I've read) and most switch out their warm weather gear for cold weather once they hit them and further. I used Climashield Apex and M90 from ThruHiker to sew a couple two person (could be three if you really pushed it) quilts for my family. Using the thicker Apex, it should be good down to 20 though the lowest we've tested was around 25 (we were warm and comfy). Total weight of each quilt was 36 ounces (18 ounces per hiker) and I splurged a bit with regard to size. I'd bet you could get that down to one pound with a bit of a taper. And, of course, you can just buy one as well. Hopefully some guys/gals chime in with some quilts they've purchased and used. There are plenty to choose from.