PDA

View Full Version : Jet Boil SOL stove...how long does a standard size canister last (realistically)

Break:Away
02-19-2013, 15:00
I have the Jet Boil SOL TI stove...an awesome stove and I consider it to be my best piece of hiking gear. Having been stuck in the cold with a stove that couldn't boil water at cold ambient temps, it's a joy to use.

But realistically, what can someone expect from the standard size fuel canister? I'm guessing about about a week with normal use (boiling water 3 to 4 times/day, etc). Is that realistic? I'm sure eveyone's "milage" will vary, but what have you found in your experience?

bfayer
02-19-2013, 15:14
I can't answer your question exactly, because I have never run one empty on a hike.

I can tell you I have gone on 5 and 6 day trips with my kids, boiled water for all three of us 2 or 3 times a day, and still had plenty left in the canister for another day or two.

tds1195
02-19-2013, 15:20
There's no exact answer, as bfayer said, but I would say 5 days is a safe bet.

flemdawg1
02-19-2013, 15:46
Which one is the "Standard" size? The 4oz fits in the JB Sol, but its actually the smallest one.

I've yet to be on a trip long enough to finish one. (most of the time I taken a partially full to start, and start a new one when it runs out. And the trip is over before that one is empty. Most trips are 3-9 days)

leaftye
02-19-2013, 15:49
It's winter. These canisters cost what, $5? Do a test.

Coffee
02-19-2013, 15:52
I purchased the Sol Aluminum in December. It should boil 12 liters on one small canister so it is easy enough to figure out how long it will last. I never plan on taking more than one canister (small) except on the last section of my JMT thru where I'll go 9 days w/o resupply and I'll take a second canister in case I need it although I probably won't need it. I can't see a need for more than 1-1.5 liter of water/day boiled between breakfast and dinner and coffee. Most of my meals only require boiling, not extended simmering.

whiteout
02-19-2013, 16:20
Sol JB is the best yet for my use. On the trail solo for six days different times of the year and still have fuel. Did a test on the 4 oz years back at 5000 ft elev and with two men we got 15 meals total. If there is a question carry a spare or matches.

colorado_rob
02-19-2013, 16:29
As was asked below, what do you mean by "standard size" ? I use the 110 gm MSR Snow Peak canisters; they have the most fuel per total weight (the Jet Boil brand canisters have the worst fuel/weight). I count on 16 two-cup boils out of this small canister, but usually get a couple more. This is in mild weather, with 60-ish-degree water.

Break:Away
02-19-2013, 17:37
I should have been specific! By standard size, I meant the 100g size fuel canister. This is the one Jet Boil sells and it fits inside of the stove's main container when packed up.

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/jetpower-fuel.html

colorado_rob
02-19-2013, 17:46
I should have been specific! By standard size, I meant the 100g size fuel canister. This is the one Jet Boil sells and it fits inside of the stove's main container when packed up.

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/jetpower-fuel.html Total nit, but consider using the Snow Peak brand instead (white canisters w/ red lettering). You get 10 gm more fuel for the same total weight (and size), plus I swear the stuff burns slightly better. Could be my imagination. Probably is. But the weight thing is not.

10-K
02-19-2013, 17:59
Not really a nit.. 10% more is 10% more. :)

Gigapower Gold canisters are also 110 grams and are rated to work down to 15*.

Monkeyjaz
02-20-2013, 22:55
What jetboiler are you using? I have the zip and the sol. The SOL is made for winter Jetboil introduces advanced Jetboil Thermo-Regulate™ Burner Technology to deliver consistent heat output down to 20˚ F (-6˚ C). I've used both in the winter the SOL is much better I can get 8-10 days on a 100g can in the winter with the sol. And maybe 6 days in with the zip. I've been using the jetboil for 3 years now?

hikerboy57
02-20-2013, 22:56
standard canister is usually one meal short, regardless of the length of your trip

Monkeyjaz
02-20-2013, 22:58
Just went back ad saw u said sol. Lol 8days at temps between highs & lows 55-28

Stalking Tortoise
02-21-2013, 09:30
I count on 8 boils (14 - 16 ounces of water) out of a 4 oz. JetBoil canister. 4 days (breakfast & dinner) in March temperatures. Could probably squeak out nine boils but I'm not fond of running out of fuel.

bfayer
02-21-2013, 10:51
One thing to keep in mind is what kind of cooking you do.

I do either freezer bag or freeze dried. So as soon as the water is hot enough the stove is turned off.

If you are cooking something that needs to boil for 10 minutes before the stove is shut down, then that's a horse of a different color.

The neat thing about the jetboil is the temp indicator on the cozy tells you when the water is hot enough, no need to take it to as roaring boil just to cook ramen.

colorado_rob
02-21-2013, 13:52
woops... new information, I was wrong here.

Snow Peak changed their canisters, they are about 1/4" taller, a half ounce heavier, yet hold the exact same amount of fuel (110 gm). Therefore, they are no longer lighter than the Jet Boil brand. Not sure when this change happened, but I bought a bunch of snow peaks yesterday, noticed the height difference, compared to an older one (but still full) that I had, and sure enough. 1/2 ounce heavier. So no real difference now between snow peak and Jetboil, you get 10 more grams of fuel in the Snow Peak, but about 0.4 ounces, or right about 11 grams heavier.

I know, gram weenie.

Total nit, but consider using the Snow Peak brand instead (white canisters w/ red lettering). You get 10 gm more fuel for the same total weight (and size), plus I swear the stuff burns slightly better. Could be my imagination. Probably is. But the weight thing is not.