PDA

View Full Version : Bringing Information on the Trail

robertblake60
02-19-2013, 16:03
Ok, here's a subject that I haven't seen much on here.

What sort of information, articles, reference material, etc would you recommend that someone bring with them? You can store quite a bit of data on an iPhone and I'm curious what people would find useful.

For example:

- I would think a picture of how to tie certain knots would be useful.
- Information on how to deal with muscle fatigue

Other ideas?

FarmerChef
02-19-2013, 16:16
There's a good first aid app that I have on my phone. I've never had to use it but it's nice to know it's there (provided I have a charge) if a situation arises for which my knowledge is limited.

Sly
02-19-2013, 16:17
Most practical information is probably best learned before you start out.

88BlueGT
02-19-2013, 16:48
^ Agreed.

However, I'm sure there are 20+ apps on 'how to tie a knot', download a few and see which you like best. but learning a few before you leave will be much more useful to you when you are out there!

BuckeyeBill
02-19-2013, 17:09
Ihave the US Army Survival Guide and Handbook on my phone. they both cover pretty much any sistuation you could get into. The best part is both were free apps.

Wuff
02-19-2013, 17:42
Agree on the phone. Anything you may forget can be easily learned from the phone. It's surprising how much reception you'll get out there.

As far as dealing with muscle fatigue I can answer that question right now - the only way to get rid of it is to quit hiking. haha :)

rocketsocks
02-19-2013, 17:46
the only way to get rid of it is to quit hiking. haha :)Or....hike more:)

prain4u
02-20-2013, 02:27
I carry various resources on my smart phone--like the U.S. Army Survival Guide, trail guides and links to weather stations. However, they are more for entertainment purposes and for something to read if I am bored. I do not rely upon what is on my phone in my day-to-day life on the trail. Phones can break, run out of battery life, or get lost. Then you are in a jam.

It is my belief that it is better to know the bulk of the important stuff that you will need to know---before you hit the trail. In some circumstances, it may be little late to start learning those things once you are on the trail. (In a driving rainstorm and 30 mph wind--you probably are not going to get out your iphone and start learning how to tie a knot or properly pitch a tent. Once you are sitting down in a patch of poison ivy--it is a little late to get out the correct iphone app and start identifying the plants. In a real first aid emergency, you probably won't have the luxury of getting out the phone and looking up what to do).

I remember a very smart Army First Sergeant telling the following to his Soldiers (as they were in the final weeks of preparation before going to Iraq):

"Read and memorize your *$%@# manuals and handbooks now--because Sadaam and the boys are not going to stop the %!&$#@ war while you get out the book and look up the #$%@&* answer!"

Hiking certainly isn't the same as war. However, in some circumstances on a hike--you can't realistically hit the "pause button", get out your phone, and start researching the right answer.

Mountain Mike
02-20-2013, 02:44
Store pic of poisonious plants, snakes, tics etc if you don't know them yet.

First aid & knots learn before you go. When in a storm or one is coming is not the time to whip out you Iphone to learn how to tie a taunt line hitch or clove hitch. If it comes to a real emergency live someone with a bad cut, the bleeding won't stop while you pull up info on how to stop it.

Use-full apps: Wildflowers, trees, constellations , ebooks. Along with anything else that interests you.

DeerPath
02-20-2013, 09:48
Here's a nice app for knos: Animated Knots by Grog (http://www.animatedknots.com/)

BrianLe
02-20-2013, 14:08
I cached a bunch of stuff like that on my phone before my first long trip, and have pretty much never used any of it. I think the one exception was that I had a bunch of phone numbers and email addresses to places, I might have used one of those once ... ? Generally whatever guidebook pages I'm carrying have everything I need. I suggest that you look at your guidebook pages and see if there's anything 'missing'. Perhaps zip codes to post offices if you bounce a box. Perhaps contact info for some gear makers to call them up to deal with any problems that might arise with stuff you're carrying.

Photos of "dangerous stuff": I think in particular that it's nice to have a picture of poison ivy (or oak, depending) on your phone, ideally taken in different seasons, so if you're not sure you can look. I did find that handy on the PCT a time or two when looking at a lot of similar-looking "green stuff".
Agreed also on having one (or more) decent first aid references in eBook form; I think you can find something free in pdf form. Probably a good idea to have a summary of symptoms, how to recognize Lyme, if only for peace of mind.
I also suggest that you copy/paste the contents of this into a word processor and then adjust font and spacing to fit it all on one or two pieces of paper and carry that (printed out) in a ziplock along with your first aid kit:
http://whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=med_guide

I've also pdf or other format "manuals" for some gear items on there. So for example, if you wear one of those too-heavy and too-expensive watches with a bazillion features that you can never remember how to make work --- nice to have the manual on your phone. Maybe you're a new tarp user and want some pictures of different ways to pitch it. Etc.

Knots: I've never understood the fascination about knots, at least for a backpacker. It feels similar to how gonzo some people get about knives, way way disproportionate interest relative to how minimally useful this tool is for a typical long-distance backpacker. If you're a hammock camper, then knowing a couple of knots is helpful. If you bear bag a lot, a knot or two is maybe useful. And knowing how to stitch things up to repair gear is good, but a pretty crude ability is plenty. Otherwise, so long as you can tie your shoes every morning ...