PDA

View Full Version : Aqua Mira?

Fur Queue
02-19-2013, 16:12
Tablets or liquid? Pros and cons? Thanks in advance.

Stir Fry
02-19-2013, 16:15
Liqiid, Tablets take longer to activate, and it eased to adjust dose for cloudy or tepid water. I still carry some tablets as back up adout 10.

chiefduffy
02-19-2013, 16:36
Liquid. Still takes about 20 minutes. Not a problem once you get used to it.

ajwatson
02-19-2013, 16:47
Definitely liquid. I think you are "supposed" to wait something like 2 hours with the tablets? No thank you.

daddytwosticks
02-19-2013, 16:49
Liquid. Simple, easy, nothing to break. :)

Miner
02-19-2013, 17:17
The only downside to the liquid is when they leak out into your hipbelt pocket when in storage for several months, bleaching and weakening the fabric. Don't ask me how I know this one.

As others said, tablets take too long to be of use except treating overnight.

barf_jay
02-19-2013, 17:20
+5 on liquid...

Praha4
02-19-2013, 17:21
use the liquid. It's easy to use on the trail. I would only take the tablets as an emergency treatment method if you had an overnite hike and couldn't bring the liquid.

Carry-On
02-19-2013, 18:07
I used the liquid my whole hike. 5 minutes to activate, 15 in the water, or 30 if it's especially dirty water. You can even pre-mix the drops in a separate container. It will save you the initial 5 minutes but is only good for about 24 hours after mixing.

leaftye
02-19-2013, 18:30
The only downside to the liquid is when they leak out into your hipbelt pocket when in storage for several months, bleaching and weakening the fabric. Don't ask me how I know this one.

I hate that.

Lyle
02-19-2013, 18:32
Liquid. Never had one leak.

SCRUB HIKER
02-19-2013, 18:36

Or, alternately, into your toiletries bag that contains your toothbrush. Toothpaste gets a funny taste and consistency when you unwittingly squeeze it onto a brush coated in chlorine dioxide.

That said, Aqua Mira droplets are still my favorite treatment method. Now I keep them in a double mini-Ziploc setup ALL BY THEMSELVES, somewhere easily reachable.

ridingpa
02-19-2013, 20:39
I Like the drops and they dont break like tablets can.

Blissful
02-19-2013, 21:40
Liquid works fine

JAK
02-19-2013, 21:56
I use a little wedding bottle to premix it, and I do that while still hiking about 10min before water stop. Then I get my water from the stream and ass the premixed from the wedding bottle and keep hiking, usually up the next damn hill, and start drinking it after 10 min or so. Or I just drink from the dang stream as God intended.

WalksInDark
02-19-2013, 21:56
Put the liquid into to a heavier duty zip lock plastic bag.

Hairbear
02-19-2013, 22:15
How does this compare to bleach, I have no point of reference.

realdeal64
02-19-2013, 22:31
Bleach is cheaper.

Del Q
02-19-2013, 22:33
Aqua Mira is fine, like it, do not like having to wait 30 minutes. More and more I have done better not carrying extra water which means more often I get to a water supply empty. Bought a Sawyer Squeeze to use on my next hike.............like fresh water with no chemicals I can drink at once.

RodentWhisperer
02-19-2013, 23:17
To manage the 20-30 minute wait time, I carry two 20 oz bottles. I fill them up before I leave for the trailhead, placing one in each of my pack's side pockets. On the trail, I drink out the the bottle in the right-hand pocket. When it's empty, I refill it from whatever water source is there, and treat it with AquaMira liquid. I then move the bottle from the left-hand pocket into the right-hand pocket, and start drinking out of it. By the time it's empty, the treated water from the refill is ready.

I find this rotation works very well, almost never making me wait to drink, drink water after minimal treatment time, etc. It works best if I've two different colors of bottle caps, so my feeble brain can easily tell which water is treated/being treated.

CarlZ993
02-20-2013, 00:01
Liquid for 98% of applications. If you get some serious cold weather, it can freeze. For true winter camping, you'd want the tablets. I doubt that would be the case on an AT thru-hike.

Be sure to tighten the caps. I had a buddy's bottle lead out on him on a 220M hike. The last 5 days of the hike he had to drink untreated water in the Sierras. Fortunately, he didn't get sick (he didn't just pick any water source; he was 'picky').

Winds
02-20-2013, 04:15
I have two questions:

1) Do the bottles have an expiration date on them?

2) What is effective duration of use once opened?

Thanks!

daddytwosticks
02-20-2013, 08:17
Yes, AM does have an expiration date on the bottles. :)

JAK
02-20-2013, 08:24
To manage the 20-30 minute wait time, I carry two 20 oz bottles. I fill them up before I leave for the trailhead, placing one in each of my pack's side pockets. On the trail, I drink out the the bottle in the right-hand pocket. When it's empty, I refill it from whatever water source is there, and treat it with AquaMira liquid. I then move the bottle from the left-hand pocket into the right-hand pocket, and start drinking out of it. By the time it's empty, the treated water from the refill is ready.

I find this rotation works very well, almost never making me wait to drink, drink water after minimal treatment time, etc. It works best if I've two different colors of bottle caps, so my feeble brain can easily tell which water is treated/being treated.I like it. I will have to add your two bottle method with my wedding bottle method. I also don't both with the AM when going for a full boil for tea.

Lyle
02-20-2013, 08:36
How long to opened bottles last?

I believe that the contents are usable until their expiration date, opened or not. The two components are stored separately, as it becomes unstable once they are mixed. As long as you don't pre-mix, I think they are stable until they expire.

Please note the qualifying words in my statement above - "believe", "think". Obviously, I'm not certain 100% on the above. I've been using opened bottles from year to year with no problems, but I also occasionally drink untreated water with no problems, so perhaps just lucky. :)

JAK
02-20-2013, 09:50
I believe they are also safe and effective past the expiration date, but not sure how long or how effective. As I figure it the chemicals are pretty stable until mixed, although I've had a set over 10 years now and the plastic bottles are starting to look a little distorted. Not sure what is going on there.

rusty bumper
02-20-2013, 10:17
I use the liquid....both bottles go in a mini-ziploc that rides in an outside mesh pocket on my pack.

Waterbuffalo
02-21-2013, 17:00
I have been filtering for years and now thinking about a change is there any after taste?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-21-2013, 17:09
Wow...there's always something else to learn. I've spent months researching the best purification system for our needs and decided the only thing that would suffice is the Steri-pen. It is imperative that any creepy, crawly bacterial or viral nasties be "neutralized", and iodine is not an option. I've checked online and the efficacy of AM appears to be comparable to the ultraviolet light. Am I missing something or does Aqua Mira and a decent pre-filtering system (to remove the chunks) actually rend the water SAFE at a sincerely reduced cost?

Feral Bill
02-21-2013, 17:14
How does this compare to bleach, I have no point of reference. Two different chemicals. Bleach is not reliable on protists, such as crypto and giardia.

daddytwosticks
02-21-2013, 17:18
Wow...there's always something else to learn. I've spent months researching the best purification system for our needs and decided the only thing that would suffice is the Steri-pen. It is imperative that any creepy, crawly bacterial or viral nasties be "neutralized", and iodine is not an option. I've checked online and the efficacy of AM appears to be comparable to the ultraviolet light. Am I missing something or does Aqua Mira and a decent pre-filtering system (to remove the chunks) actually rend the water SAFE at a sincerely reduced cost? Never been sick once using Aqua-mira and filtering thru some fine no-see-um mesh. Using this since 2005. :)

scope
02-21-2013, 17:26
I have been filtering for years and now thinking about a change is there any after taste?

IMO, it is minor. If its an issue, bring some electrolyte flavoring available widely now groc stores.

Wow...there's always something else to learn. I've spent months researching the best purification system for our needs and decided the only thing that would suffice is the Steri-pen. It is imperative that any creepy, crawly bacterial or viral nasties be "neutralized", and iodine is not an option. I've checked online and the efficacy of AM appears to be comparable to the ultraviolet light. Am I missing something or does Aqua Mira and a decent pre-filtering system (to remove the chunks) actually rend the water SAFE at a sincerely reduced cost?

Cost is relative based on how much AM you might use over time and how long you might keep your steripen. Works great, but keep in mind that steripen works more completely to remove everything within a short period, whereas AM takes 4 hours for the really nasty stuff. The caveat there is that if you're careful with your water source, you likely can get away with 20min treatments only with AM. That's what I do.

p.s. unlike everyone else, I like the tablets; guess thats mostly because I always fill at standard volumes 1L,2L,3L.

Creek Dancer
02-21-2013, 17:39
Steri-pens work fine, until they don't. On several occasions, I have lent my Agua-Mira to other hikers because their Steri-pens stopped working for some reason.

Starchild
02-21-2013, 17:40

Cost is one factor but also remember weight, One AM user here said that their plan was to carry 20 oz of water in storage + the water they drink from in another bottle (0 to 20 oz) + the weight of the AM, that is a lot more weight then a 3.x oz steripen (or 5.x oz) + 8-12 oz of water that a Steripen user can reasonably expect to leave a water source with after immediate consumption at the source and add a oz for some chemical backup method and you still come up way ahead. To me the saying 'if you need a backup your initial method is flawed' does not apply for this if your goal is to save weight.

Winds
02-21-2013, 20:51
Steri-pens work fine, until they don't. On several occasions, I have lent my Agua-Mira to other hikers because their Steri-pens stopped working for some reason.

I have read precisely this so many times, I am still shocked how often people rely on those low quality pens. The technology DOES work fine, in MUCH more expensive non-mobile applications. I would trust bleach well before.

Where Aquamira succeeds is the oxidation effect during mixing is superior to chlorine alone, this is proven.

RodentWhisperer
02-21-2013, 21:24
One AM user here said that their plan was to carry 20 oz of water in storage + the water they drink from in another bottle (0 to 20 oz) + the weight of the AM, that is a lot more weight then a 3.x oz steripen (or 5.x oz) + 8-12 oz of water that a Steripen user can reasonably expect to leave a water source with after immediate consumption at the source and add a oz for some chemical backup method and you still come up way ahead.

That's a decent alternative to my system, until you find yourself on a mountain trail with no water sources for 10+ miles. If I hiked in places where I'd feel fine with an 8 oz bottle, I'd use my Steripen more. As is, I only take it when I know I'll be able to refill every 5 miles or so.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-21-2013, 22:17
My plan is this: The Steripen comes with a filter and bottle. At the shelter source I gather water in the 96oz bag and bring it back to the shelter for filtering and purification 1L at a time, filling our Camelbacks and providing water to boil for our meal. I'm willing to carry the weight of the water daily to avoid the possibilty of not finding a source while hiking, and I don't mind making this whole process part of our evening routine as it makes for a good lesson in ecology and science for my grandson.

The thing is, I thought this was my only reasonable option given the need to SAFE water (again, iodine is not an option). I was unaware that this product even existed (probably since REI doesn't carry it), and now I'm unsure if it would not be a better choice.

I have not purchased anything yet and am now not certain if my first plan is the best. My apologies to the originator for hijacking this thread, but thanks too for the opportunity to clear this up.....

What should I do?

RodentWhisperer
02-21-2013, 22:34
What should I do?

This will come across as a major copout, but really, it all depends upon what you feel is best.

AquaMira works fine. So does the Steripen. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. AquaMira is relatively inexpensive, but is a chemical treatment (chlorine dioxide, to be precise), takes time to work (the company recommends 4 hours to be absolutely sure everything is killed), and can give water a slight off-taste (although that's not my experience). Steripens enable you to treat in a few minutes, and drink immediately afterward; but they are dependent upon batteries, and take some practice to use correctly. Both options frequently require pre-filtration, especially with stagnant water (like that in a pond). A full two-bottle system (2 fl oz in each bottle) of AquaMira weighs about 3 oz. A Steripen Adventurer Opti weighs 3.8 oz.

Carefully weight the benefits and drawbacks, make a decision you're comfortable with, and go out with the knowledge that others will be doing completely different things.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-21-2013, 23:08
@RodentWhisperer

Well yes, it may be a cop-out, but you're right nonetheless. I guess I'll have to make my own informed decisions.....and I was so hoping to just hang onto the shirttails of others! Thanks anyway.

Winds
02-21-2013, 23:49
@RodentWhisperer

Well yes, it may be a cop-out, but you're right nonetheless. I guess I'll have to make my own informed decisions.....and I was so hoping to just hang onto the shirttails of others! Thanks anyway.

You may be able to use the shirttails of others to strain your water! :)

MuddyWaters
02-21-2013, 23:53
It all works.
It all works because you mostly have nothing to worry about anyway if you choose water sources carefully.
AM is just plain reliable. Nothing to fail, nothing to plug up at innoportune times, no batteries to go dead.
It is simple.
There is elegance in simplicity.

AM only takes a long time to deactivate cryptosporidium, which nobody worries about.
They obviously dont need to , or everyone would be getting sick from it, but its not an issue on the AT.

Everything else is reduced satisfactorily in a couple of minutes at intended ClO2 conc.
Not 30 min, not 15 min, not 10 min
more like 3 min for 1000x reduction of giardia and 1 min for 10000x reduction of bacteria.
These things are easy. How many cysts will you get in 1L from a spring? The answer is zero, but anything less than say 1000, wont be an issue.

Learn to drink water with a few floaties, sinkies, and swimmies in it. It doesnt hurt you, and it tastes the same.
No need to prefilter it. Most AT water is crystal clear, floatie free if caught from a piped spring.

BTW ClO2 and UV may kill some bacteria, but doesnt kill protozoa, just affects DNA and effectively sterilizes them so they cannot reproduce. You are still drinking live critters.

Bottoms up.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-22-2013, 13:26
You may be able to use the shirttails of others to strain your water! :)

You guys are great....LOVE the banter.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-22-2013, 14:04
It all works.
It all works because you mostly have nothing to worry about anyway if you choose water sources carefully.
AM is just plain reliable. Nothing to fail, nothing to plug up at innoportune times, no batteries to go dead.
It is simple.
There is elegance in simplicity.

AM only takes a long time to deactivate cryptosporidium, which nobody worries about.
They obviously dont need to , or everyone would be getting sick from it, but its not an issue on the AT.

Everything else is reduced satisfactorily in a couple of minutes at intended ClO2 conc.
Not 30 min, not 15 min, not 10 min
more like 3 min for 1000x reduction of giardia and 1 min for 10000x reduction of bacteria.
These things are easy. How many cysts will you get in 1L from a spring? The answer is zero, but anything less than say 1000, wont be an issue.

Learn to drink water with a few floaties, sinkies, and swimmies in it. It doesnt hurt you, and it tastes the same.
No need to prefilter it. Most AT water is crystal clear, floatie free if caught from a piped spring.

BTW ClO2 and UV may kill some bacteria, but doesnt kill protozoa, just affects DNA and effectively sterilizes them so they cannot reproduce. You are still drinking live critters.

Bottoms up.

Hmmm....taking H2O advice from someone named "Muddy Waters"...perhaps I should rethink. By any chance are you THE MuddyWaters from Prov RI? Friend to Rudy Cheeks and Bob Dalton?