PDA

View Full Version : usfs 71

Ford Perfect
02-19-2013, 18:12
getting ready to get back on the trail just wondering if anyone has been from dicks creek gap to deep gap lately and how good shape usfs road 71 is (do we need 4wheel drive). Looking at camping around sassafras gap or addis gap which ever has the best water if anyone knows. just looking for any info that will help us plan our hike, going sometime in late March. Thanks

max patch
02-19-2013, 19:58
FS71 should have been closed for the winter 1/1. Its a good road that can be traveled by a normal passenger car. It usually reopens 3/15 (although the Forest Service website states 4/1.)

I've never had the need to get water at Sassafras Gap, however, I can assure you that the stream will be running at Addis Gap in March. Its about 1/2 mile E of the trail at the site of the old shelter.

Ox97GaMe
02-20-2013, 19:37
getting ready to get back on the trail just wondering if anyone has been from dicks creek gap to deep gap lately and how good shape usfs road 71 is (do we need 4wheel drive). Looking at camping around sassafras gap or addis gap which ever has the best water if anyone knows. just looking for any info that will help us plan our hike, going sometime in late March. Thanks

Are you talking about Deep Gap NC (Near Standing Indian)? If so, you wont be hitting Sassafras or Addis Gap. Those are south of Dicks Creek Gap. Deep Gap NC is north of Dicks Creek Gap.

Addis and Sassafras Gaps in GA have access to water, but you will take a short hike to get to it.

Ron Haven
02-20-2013, 22:33
FS 71 will be closed until at least March 15th..

Ford Perfect
02-21-2013, 21:27
thanks for the info lost my trail guild have not got new one yet just going off old notes, main worry was if fs 71 was open and what shape it was in. if i rember right we are starting at dicks creek gap and going to deep gap.

MockingJay
04-04-2014, 13:00
Has anyone been on USFS road 71 up to Deep GAP, NC (near Standing Indian Campgroud) since it opened this year? Planning a trip in a few weeks and wondering about the condition of the road this year. (I added to this thread since I see that there's a lot of past info out there on this subject.) Thanks!