PDA

View Full Version : hammock repair

larkspur
02-19-2013, 19:38
I noticed a small rip in my hammock. i tried fixing it by sewing it and covering the seem with silicon. that lasted for a few months. is there any more permanent solutions that don't require purchasing repair kits?:-?

aclawrence
05-16-2013, 22:14
Maybe you could sew a large patch around the torn area. What kind of hammock do you have. If it's an expensive you could probably send to one of the cottage vendors on hammock forums and get it professionally repaired. My hammock is just a diy with some ripstop nylon from JoAnnes fabric store. I guess if I ripped it I would just make another one. Sorry I couldn't help you more.

1azarus
05-17-2013, 18:45
i've already been teased for my fear of "catastrophic failure" of my headlamp... but i will admit that my fear of hammock failure is really well developed. i don't know what i would do if my hammock ripped to failure point on a multi day outing... which is to say -- i don't think i would trust a fix of any kind that i can think of!

WILLIAM HAYES
05-21-2013, 00:19
duct tape both sides

tammons
07-24-2013, 08:45
I blew a hole through my bridge hammock while testing spreader poles and this is what I came up with. FYI in a bridge hammock near the spreader poles the fabric is under a lot of tension so I wanted an extra strong patch.

I made an oversized cloth patch and seamed the edges.

Use McNett Aquaseal urethane glue or you can use another flexible urethane glue like loctite hysol and very thinly coat the hammock side and the
patch side. You might want to thin the glue some and brush it on. Press them together and maybe put a barrier like wax paper or cellophane on each side so it doesnt glue itself to the floor and your books. Lay it flat on the floor and stack some books on it and let dry for 24 hours. I ran a seam around mine just to make sure the edge stay down, but typically a urethane glue cloth seam is stronger than the fabric.

Nasty glue though, so wear latex gloves.

William36
09-09-2013, 14:32
Hey to go here, but how about Either sending it back to the manufacture, or taking it to a really good seamstress or outdoor store for a good proper repair?

3 feet is a long drop in the middle the night

dhagan
10-24-2016, 14:40
Tenatious tape.

AfterParty
10-24-2016, 15:02
Were is the whole on the hammock its self. I second what hammock do you have

Just Bill
10-24-2016, 16:53
See Laz's post above... I'd relegate that hammock to backyard/car camping use and not trust it in the field where I couldn't replace it....

However- if you want to give it a shot- I would concur with what is below. The only thing I would add is to make the patch round and don't worry about sewing it or rolling the edge- the glue will prevent any unraveling of the fabric and you don't want to introduce any extra stress (like by say taking an automatic needle hole puncher and perforating the fabric).
The ideal patch fabric is the same fabric as the hammock itself is made from. If you patch one side only... I believe the back side would be stronger.

I blew a hole through my bridge hammock while testing spreader poles and this is what I came up with. FYI in a bridge hammock near the spreader poles the fabric is under a lot of tension so I wanted an extra strong patch.

I made an oversized cloth patch and seamed the edges.

Use McNett Aquaseal urethane glue or you can use another flexible urethane glue like loctite hysol and very thinly coat the hammock side and the
patch side. You might want to thin the glue some and brush it on. Press them together and maybe put a barrier like wax paper or cellophane on each side so it doesnt glue itself to the floor and your books. Lay it flat on the floor and stack some books on it and let dry for 24 hours. I ran a seam around mine just to make sure the edge stay down, but typically a urethane glue cloth seam is stronger than the fabric.

Nasty glue though, so wear latex gloves.

blue indian
10-25-2016, 13:31
I hope its not a Dream Hammock Darien UL. Mine just had a complete failure while hiking the BMT thru the smokies on night 1.

Dream Hammock was not very accommodating because they discontinued the product because they knew it wasn't strong enough. I had to pull teeth to get them to want to help me out. Not impressed.

Deacon
10-25-2016, 13:57
I hope its not a Dream Hammock Darien UL. Mine just had a complete failure while hiking the BMT thru the smokies on night 1.

Dream Hammock was not very accommodating because they discontinued the product because they knew it wasn't strong enough. I had to pull teeth to get them to want to help me out. Not impressed.

Interesting. That is my experience also, although I got halfway thru the Long Trail before mine failed.

blue indian
10-25-2016, 17:15
Interesting. That is my experience also, although I got halfway thru the Long Trail before mine failed.

Yeah man, I had to bail out of my hike because of it. I went 2 nights without it and I wasnt enjoying that very much.

Did Dream Hammock compensate for the failed hammock??

Just Bill
10-27-2016, 13:47

Yeah man, I had to bail out of my hike because of it. I went 2 nights without it and I wasnt enjoying that very much.

Did Dream Hammock compensate for the failed hammock??

I'd be very interested in hearing more about this...
I'm working on this "problem" with the 1.0oz fabrics in double layer hammocks and curious to hear about the failures. I was told they were fairly isolated and related to something I might have solved.
Point being... I'd like to offer a replacement to the discontinued style of UL double layers to fellow backpackers as I think they make good sense for many folks.

scrabbler
10-27-2016, 16:03
I think the proper repair involves buying a new one, sorry.