PDA

View Full Version : AMC Maps - How good are they?

Break:Away
02-19-2013, 20:16
I support the AMC and have most of the map "packages" they produce for the AT. My experience on the AT so far is limited and I'm wondering how accurate they are? My expectation is that the maps will be accurate and current, including where roads are, distances, watering holes, etc.

What's your experience?

Sugarfoot
02-19-2013, 20:30
The maps are published every few years, sometimes five or more. The trail changes every year. Trust the DataBook, the Companion, of the AT Guide (all use the same source) for current year information. I personally carry the maps only for Maine (because they are so beautiful) and for New Hampshire (because I want to know how to get below tree line in the event of thunderstorms). Otherwise, they are nice but unnecessary, at least for me.

hikerboy57
02-19-2013, 20:53
if you have the at maps they are unnecessary. if you plan on extensive hiking in the whites and maine, both the white mountain guide and the maine mountain guide are excellent investments and come with complete sets of maps. for hiking the at, the atc map sets are more than enough

Mountain Mike
02-19-2013, 21:28
For NH/White Mountains I would suggest one of the larger maps available. they give you a better idea of detour/bad weather routes Also a good overview. Do your homework before & add in the AMC Shuttle stops, Hostels, etc. They are cheaper than getting the strip maps.From Amazon http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_18?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=white%20mountain%20map&sprefix=white%20mountain%20map%2Caps%2C250&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Awhite%20mountain%20map

rdljr
02-19-2013, 21:32
They varry hugly state to state, I love the Maine maps, like the NH maps, think the VA maps are a waste of my hard earned money. I can not say the VA maps are inaccurate but they are printed in a maner that makes then very hard to use. Poor color contrast and shading making them hard to read, different scales on the same side of the map. and very little information off of the trail as far as trails/roads for exit ect.
But they still work for redlining :)

Blissful
02-19-2013, 21:39
I have used the older ones. They did fine for me in the Whites. I did miss the elevation profiles until I got to ME, then I had them.

terryg49
02-19-2013, 21:53
I've found that "The A.T. Guide" by David miller is all I need. I have a north bound version that is not bound. I copy the pages that pertain to where I'm hiking and leave the rest at home. It seems to be as accurate as any other source and by only taking the pages I need they weight is nearly nothing

Chaco Taco
02-19-2013, 22:03
If you are thruhiking, carry the Companion or The AT Guide. If you are just going to hike the Whites, the nat geo map is great. Its all I carry now

Prime Time
02-19-2013, 23:34
I live in the Whites and believe the AMC maps are the best. They are ultra light tyvek that are waterproof and will simply not tear. they are detailed, easy to read, especially the contour grade lines, and provide all the information to walk the AT, walk off the AT, figure out how to get into town, and help lost thru hikers. That's the main reason I carry them. I have to help out at least 10 per summer, all of whom refuse to carry anything but AWOL's guide. Nat geo map is very good but it's extremely heavy, and for me, hard to read for some reason, especially, make out the grade contours. Lot's of dark and multiple coloring that makes me have to really stare hard to see it clearly.

peakbagger
02-20-2013, 08:37
As mentioned if you are hiking the AT and have the AT maps, you really dont need AMC maps. If you want to explore the rest of the whites or Maine, they are the about the best as they have their own cartographer that updates the trails with GPS frequently. There are a couple of for profit companies that produce more detailed maps for specific areas, they are oriented to the retail trade so they can be sold to the person driving up for the weekend who wants a map of a specific area. I personally carry the AMC map that has the entire White Mountain trail system on it which is printed on plastic in my day pack. I rarely use it for myself but do on occasion have to pull it out to get others pointed in the right direction.