PDA

View Full Version : Showers/laundry

TSWisla
02-19-2013, 23:10
Doing my first section hike in April. Is it pretty easy to find a place to shower and do laundry once you get to a town?

Mountain Mike
02-19-2013, 23:14
What section would help. Generally yes, pretty easy. Get Awol's guide or the Companion for detailed info on hostels, motels, laundry mat, & maps of trail towns + a whole lot more.

TSWisla
02-19-2013, 23:49
What section would help. Generally yes, pretty easy. Get Awol's guide or the Companion for detailed info on hostels, motels, laundry mat, & maps of trail towns + a whole lot more.

That is great info, thank you. I am starting at Springer Mtn and traveling to Franklin, NC. If you know of a good place to park in/near Franklin, that would be great as well. Thank you again.

Mountain Mike
02-20-2013, 00:09
Hostel & Shower at Neels Gap http://www.mountaincrossings.com/ 30 miles in along with an outfitter & resupply right on the trail. For Franklin; RON HAVEN! Runs a free shuttle bus from trail to his motels in town. Check here http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?90466-Budget-Inn-of-Franklin-amp-Hiawassee. He may be also be able to do a shuttle to Springer or help arrange one. He is a stand out when it come to people providing services along the trail.

Odd Man Out
02-20-2013, 00:35
Your question made me think of a news story from last week. When that Carnival Cruse ship lost power in the Gulf of Mexico, one news reporter said that "the passengers would be without fresh food, toilets, or showers for several days". Of all the things they went through, I thought it interesting that they highlighted "not having a shower for several days", considering that most of the people on the planet (and all thru hikers) do that on a regular basis.

Mountain Mike
02-20-2013, 00:38
Your question made me think of a news story from last week. When that Carnival Cruse ship lost power in the Gulf of Mexico, one news reporter said that "the passengers would be without fresh food, toilets, or showers for several days". Of all the things they went through, I thought it interesting that they highlighted "not having a shower for several days", considering that most of the people on the planet (and all thru hikers) do that on a regular basis.

To bad there wasn't any water around to do a sponge bath in! If it was that bad I'd think even salt water would do, not to mention the swimming pools most cruise ships have. I even saw a report where it rained.

Parkie Man
02-20-2013, 13:18
It's such a shame that they had to live in such terrible conditions for so long (5 days) when there are so many more in third world countries that have only lived in far worst conditions for only several years.

TSWisla
03-06-2013, 19:53
OK, I purchased the AT guide, but I still can't find anything aroudn the 70 to 80 mile area to get off the trail and have a shower and laundry, anyone have any suggestions?

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 19:59
OK, I purchased the AT guide, but I still can't find anything aroudn the 70 to 80 mile area to get off the trail and have a shower and laundry, anyone have any suggestions?
Just keep walking. Dont be affraid of the stank

Wise Old Owl
03-06-2013, 20:03
I still trying to understand what happened to skinny dipping and a bar of Ivory that floats....what happened???

Lone Wolf
03-06-2013, 20:05
Hiawassee.....

yellowsirocco
03-06-2013, 20:07
Look for Dicks Creek Gap. I think it is closer to mile 65. I prefer the Blueberry Patch for this stop.

TSWisla
03-06-2013, 20:15
Right, Blueberry patchm how did I miss that?! Is it very far from the trail? Can you walk there? Also, how far is Mountain Crossings from the trail? Thank you!

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 20:18
Right, Blueberry patchm how did I miss that?! Is it very far from the trail? Can you walk there? Also, how far is Mountain Crossings from the trail? Thank you!
trail goes through mtn crossings

Mountain Mike
03-06-2013, 20:19
The trail goes thru the arch at Mountain Crossings under the building.

Chaco Taco
03-06-2013, 20:19
hitchhike.......

TSWisla
03-06-2013, 20:22
Thank you!

WingedMonkey
03-06-2013, 20:30

You are likely to find someone at the road crossing going that way. It's one of those places where rides just appear. Good place for a mail drop too, even if they usually do runs to town. You don't really need a town trip that early in a hike, enjoy the property and the creek and the hospitality.

WingedMonkey
03-06-2013, 20:32
You are likely to find someone at the road crossing going that way. It's one of those places where rides just appear. Good place for a mail drop too, even if they usually do runs to town. You don't really need a town trip that early in a hike, enjoy the property and the creek and the hospitality.

That was in reference to Blueberry.

Drybones
03-06-2013, 20:55
If I get really grungy I heat up a pot of water and take sponge bath in the tent before crashing, not a hot shower but it helps.

flemdawg1
03-07-2013, 13:43
Outside of Neels Gap (also has coin laundry & hostel), and Standing Indian Campground, the only others places to shower are hostels and motels (Suches, Helen, Hiawasee, Franklin).

daddytwosticks
03-07-2013, 17:31
Outside of Neels Gap (also has coin laundry & hostel), and Standing Indian Campground, the only others places to shower are hostels and motels (Suches, Helen, Hiawasee, Franklin). If you are passing thru the NOC and have some quarters, you can get a nice hot shower by the changing rooms at the foot of the vehicle bridge. :)

flemdawg1
03-07-2013, 17:52
They're not going to NOC, stopping @ Franklin.

daddytwosticks
03-08-2013, 08:27
They're not going to NOC, stopping @ Franklin. You are correct, my bad. :)

flemdawg1
03-08-2013, 11:08

Nothing but woods between Dicks Creek Gap (mile 67) and Deep Gap (mile 83).