PDA

View Full Version : What foods do you miss most?

girl81
02-20-2013, 00:07
What food that you can't carry easily do you most miss when you're on the trail?

Storm
02-20-2013, 00:15
Double cheesburgers

SCRUB HIKER
02-20-2013, 00:39
Burritos. Big fat spicy ones that weigh at least a pound. You can't even get them in most trail towns on the AT. I had a Chipotle burrito when I went into Blacksburg, VA (not a typical town stop) and that was as good as it got the whole way.

Pizza too, but there's pizza in one form or another in almost every town so you never have to go too long without it anywhere you're thru-hiking.

Mountain Mike
02-20-2013, 00:47
Burritos. Big fat spicy ones that weigh at least a pound. You can't even get them in most trail towns on the AT. I had a Chipotle burrito when I went into Blacksburg, VA (not a typical town stop) and that was as good as it got the whole way.

Pizza too, but there's pizza in one form or another in almost every town so you never have to go too long without it anywhere you're thru-hiking.

In pearisburg, VA a bunch of us pooled money & made our own with all the fixings. Everyone had their task chopping veggies, cheese, frying the meat. It only got weird till the guy doing the meat asked what he should do with the fat since we really needed it...we let it congeal. Still some of the best burritos ever & I doubt any fast food ones had as many calories.

rocketsocks
02-20-2013, 00:53
I think it would be fresh fruits and veggies, funny how our bodies tell us what they are craving, and probably for good reason.

daddytwosticks
02-20-2013, 08:19

Pizza too, but there's pizza in one form or another in almost every town so you never have to go too long without it anywhere you're thru-hiking. I've seen several hikers on the trail pull out a few slices of cold, town bought pizza and wolf it down. Typically happens the day they left town. :)

Not Sunshine
02-20-2013, 08:34
Fried Buttery Eggs. When I got home from my last section hike I fried 5 in my cast iron pan with about 2 tbsp of butter - and about 2 tbsp of hot sauce. sooooo good!

Malto
02-20-2013, 08:37
I think it would be fresh fruits and veggies, funny how our bodies tell us what they are craving, and probably for good reason.

Agree with this. I rarely eat salads in the unreal real but on my thru I had serious cravings for salads. Also, at one point MEAT!

yellowsirocco
02-20-2013, 08:56
It depends on your definition of easily carried. Most things listed above are things that I pack for the first night. I carry fresh fruit and bread for several days even. Eggs are hard since they arent near as good cold like pizza and cooking eggs on the trail isn't really a viable option. Even with pizza, just wrap it up in foil and stick it next to the fire. Sure all this adds up to a lot of weight, but that is why I have stuff like a Western Mountaineering bag.

WingedMonkey
02-20-2013, 09:34
There is nothing that I enjoy eating that I can't find a way to prepare while in the woods.

But same as at home, I have to decide if it is worth it.

Hot Flash
02-20-2013, 09:44
Mountain Dew.

JAK
02-20-2013, 09:52
Nothing you can't make up for in town really. I love trail food, and it's not like it's weeks or months at a time between resupply.

aficion
02-20-2013, 10:32
Watermelon

Deer Hunter
02-20-2013, 10:38
Fried Buttery Eggs. When I got home from my last section hike I fried 5 in my cast iron pan with about 2 tbsp of butter - and about 2 tbsp of hot sauce. sooooo good!

+1...............

mcstick
02-20-2013, 10:54
Lou malinatis and hot dogs

tiptoe
02-20-2013, 11:00
Fresh fruit and veggies from my garden.

FarmerChef
02-20-2013, 11:12
Definitely fresh fruit and veggies. I have dried fruit and veggies on the trail but it's just not the same. Still, I cook on the trail and enjoy the challenge of making it as close to home as possible. On occasion I have been known to pull out a fresh egg for making brownies or a tomato or onion to chop into something we're cooking, typically after town or resupply.

FarmerChef
02-20-2013, 11:13
Lou malinatis and hot dogs

Oh. Somehow I missed this post. LOVE Lou Malinatis. Also Portillos' chocolate cake. Mmmmmm. :D

atraildreamer
02-20-2013, 11:49
All these posts are about to ruin my diet! :eek:

I'm going to another thread! :D

mrcoffeect
02-20-2013, 12:22
Serloin tips and fried shrimp, surf and turf. oh yea!

jaymann
02-20-2013, 13:28
Double cheesburgers

If they are double cheeseburgers from McDonald's they will last for months in a pack.

capehiker
02-20-2013, 13:53

I already know I'm going to be craving a huge salad. Even on week long section hikes that would be the one thing I would crave.

Feral Bill
02-20-2013, 13:59
On the way home from snow camping Monday my son and I went straight for the double cheeseburgers and fries. YUM!

SoCalled
02-20-2013, 14:01
Ice cold beer.

In mid-august, after 4-5 days on the trail.

Farr Away
02-20-2013, 22:14
Milkshakes, or iced coffee.

Or iced anything.

Sara
02-20-2013, 22:36
I already know I'm going to be craving a huge salad. Even on week long section hikes that would be the one thing I would crave.

+1 on the super big salad

SCRUB HIKER
02-21-2013, 00:51
Salad cravings have happened to me too, and I'm not much of a salad eater at home. I think that's why Pizza Hut is the ultimate trail-town restaurant. You can tack on the unlimited salad bar to any pizza order for like $3. So you order your pizza, and while it's being fixed go to the salad bar and wolf down as many plates as you can. And once the pizza gets there, you still have the satisfaction of some heavy, salty, greasy, high-calorie food. Daleville, VA is ideal for this, since the Pizza Hut is basically on the trail.

on_the_GOEZ
02-21-2013, 04:37
Newman's Own Mint O(roe)s, cold, ripe pears and salad bar