PDA

View Full Version : Why start on the weekend?

InTheWind
02-20-2013, 01:39
Just curious if there is a reason why it seems that so many thru hikers tend to plan for a weekend start? Is it travel convenience? Do the different services offer transportation from the airport/train to the trail on weekdays?

I need to set my date asap and I am wondering if I am overlooking something.

Thanks

Mountain Mike
02-20-2013, 01:43
Just curious if there is a reason why it seems that so many thru hikers tend to plan for a weekend start? Is it travel convenience? Do the different services offer transportation from the airport/train to the trail on weekdays?

Thanks

Works best for friends dropping them off & people doing shuttles on their days off. That simple. Avoid it if you can if you want to hit hostels early on & I'd never plan on space in a shelter unless you get up early & hike fast.

SCRUB HIKER
02-20-2013, 03:14
Travel convenience, definitely. For instance on the AT (2011) and the PCT (this year), Sunday is the only day that worked/will work for someone I know to drop me off. It makes both me and my family happier to have someone seeing me off at the starting line, as opposed to me traveling there all alone. Good quality time on the drive out and all that. It's cheaper that way, too.

OzJacko
02-20-2013, 03:47
As I have a fair amount of travel to get there I considered the above (happens here too - most start on weekends) so I worked backwards a bit.
I looked at 3 days to Neels Gap, didn't want to be there on a weekend when they are busy with day trippers etc.
Didn't want to start in a Saturday/Sunday rush.
So I'm starting on a Friday early to be just ahead of that at the start and hopefully a quiet Monday/Tuesday at Neels Gap.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2013, 06:24

Thanksso family can start with them

mountain squid
02-20-2013, 12:26
I need to set my date asap and I am wondering if I am overlooking something.If it is possible to avoid the weekend, I would suggest it. Aside from all the thrus and sectioners starting, the weekends will also have scouts and college students and church groups, etc. Hawk Mountain Shelter can be crowded . . .

OzJacko has a good idea about avoiding Neels Gap on the weekend, as well. Day hikers won't be too much of a problem, but if you want to stay at the hostel, those that started on Wed will be hitting Neels Gap on the weekend.

One way or the other it'll all probably work out. I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

read some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=) thread for additional observations

maintenance videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/mountainsquid04/videos)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Ox97GaMe
02-20-2013, 19:15
since you talk about airport/train, the only other thing to consider is Atlanta mid week traffic. If you are flying in, you will want to make sure you are clear of the rush hour traffic (by 3PM) heading toward Springer. The hostels have pickup service from the airport and the SandySprings MARTA station (REI nearby), but they try to be out of the city by mid afternoon also.

Stir Fry
02-20-2013, 20:53
Like LonE Wolf said so family can see you off. Mines going to spend night with me at Lenfoot befor I start.