PDA

View Full Version : Hiking from Springer Mountain for roughly 2 two weeks

CaliLizard
02-20-2013, 07:09
Me and some friends and family (all 21+ years) are planning to section hike a portion of the Appalachian trail next year, our plan is to hike late summer or possibly early fall for two weeks. due to our work schedules we can only hike for 2 1/2 weeks tops.<br>
<br>
My question is about where do you think a reasonable stopping point should/would be for us if we leave from the Springer Mountain trailhead? All of us but my mother would be considered beginner hikers, and while I know everyone's hike is different Im wondering where a good stopping point would be so we dont end up going to far away from a pickup location.

Lone Wolf
02-20-2013, 07:11
Fontana Dam

slbirdnerd
02-20-2013, 13:45
I wonder if Fontana might be too far for a large group of new hikers, especially when you consider all the changes in elevation? We are looking at doing Georgia in June, my son is 10, and I'm planning in such a way we have maybe 3 potential stopping points if we need to bail. I might not tell him this, though! I wish we had the time (and confidence in him) to make Fontana.

max patch
02-20-2013, 14:05
Nantahala Outdoor Center because you are a group.

For a solo hiker I would say Fontana Dam.

bigcranky
02-20-2013, 15:10
Yeah, either US 64 at Winding Stair Gap, NOC, or Fontana. Depends on your pace. You can get a ride easily from any of them. If it were me I would suggest leaving a car in Franklin, NC, and getting a ride to Springer, then just get picked up wherever you finish and shuttle back to Franklin.

Or, drive to Springer, park at Amicalola Falls SP, and start hiking. Then just get one ride back when done.

Have fun.

The Old Chief
02-20-2013, 15:11
Park your vehicles at Amicalola Park and walk to the Ga/NC line and then walk back to your vehicles. Aftr walking North the trail going South will seem completely different. An enjoyable hike I've done several times.

Northern Lights
02-20-2013, 15:16
I made it to Fontana in 2 weeks with two zeros and I am a sloooooooooooooow hiker.

NLaeger
02-20-2013, 15:24
I did Springer to the NOC in 13 days last summer, end of july, We Stopped for the night at Neel Gap, and took 2 Nero days in Hiawasee and Franklin. If you have more then 2 weeks you can probably go further but the first 140 miles are a pretty good distance for a group of beginning hikers!

CaliLizard
02-20-2013, 15:24
Thanks everyone so much for your replies, I'll probably make Winding stair gap, Fontana and Nantahala Outdoor center our goal locations, but opt for a possible turn around hike after week one if my group isn't as enthused as I am, then possibly go solo next time XD. I also like the idea of leaving a car in Franklin NC, as I used to live in franklin and its a very good area.

I guess were going to see how it goes, and how they do after one week, and then make our destination plans from there based of the advice you all have given, thanks so much :) I will definitely be posting again for light weight gear options, as well as meals.

Chris10
02-20-2013, 22:15
Slbirdnerd,
Plan on doing the same hike in June with my 14 year old son, and looking at ending at NOC. We have about two weeks so that seems about right!

Ron Haven
02-20-2013, 22:29
If you do need to leave a vehicle at one of my motels in Franklin, it will be free parking. We also will come to Winding Stair and pick you up for free if you are staying with us. We only ask a small shuttle fee if you are not. That is just to cover expense.

CaliLizard
02-21-2013, 07:45
Thank you very much Ron, I will pass that information on to my group

slbirdnerd
02-21-2013, 13:22
I made it to Fontana in 2 weeks with two zeros and I am a sloooooooooooooow hiker.

That is good to hear! Having trouble gauging what is realistic for us.