PDA

View Full Version : First section hike in April, only 1 thing keeping me up at night...

TSWisla
02-20-2013, 12:44
...TICKS! I bought a shirt and pants impregnated with permethrin, I plan on treating everything that I can with the Sawyer spray. Honestly though, the idea of Lyme disease or Ehrlichiosis is freaking me out. I have been combing through posts about this, but it really seems like a crapshoot, additionally, the damn things are so tiny. Is this a deal breaker or am I being irrational. I see pictures of people hiking in shorts, am I overreacting? :confused:

slbirdnerd
02-20-2013, 13:30
I hate them too, but such is life if you want to actually live it. April shouldn't be too bad for ticks, as I understand it. I plan on treating our clothes, too, but not underwear. Long pants tucked in your socks. Short or easy to check hair. Check yourself, or for fun, have someone else check you. ;) I hear there are not many deer ticks in the south, but I'm just going to assume there are and take reasonable precautions. And a tweezers. I saw one guy say he was taking a dose of doxicyclene (sp?) with him. I probably won't go that far, but do watch for any signs or symptoms of Lyme's disease and get treatment as soon as you can. It is treatable. My mom has had it and initially it flared up with flu-like symptoms once in a while and each time she took a round of antibiotics. I don't think she has had any issues in quite some time. She got bitten on Hilton Head. Anyway, I think it's reasonable to be concerned and prepared, but don't let it ruin your dream.

tiptoe
02-20-2013, 13:48
Don't be freaked out. Both are very treatable if caught early. If you are vigilant about inspecting your body for ticks every day, you should be okay, as they need to be embedded for 36-48 hours before transmitting the disease (http://www.cdc.gov/lyme/transmission/index.html). I had erlichiosis once and then several years later, Lyme and erlichiosis at the same time. A 2 or 3-weed course of doxycycline took care of it in each case. Each time, the presenting symptom was a high fever (102-103) without a bullseye rash.

TSWisla
02-20-2013, 14:01
OK, thank you for that. The reason it bothers me so much is because I have 4 children (3 to 11) and I don't want to be debilitated and not be able to do things with them because I want to hike the AT (though I would like to bring them along at some point as well). I also don't want my hearing to be affected as I spend much time collecting, cleaning and listening to records. Anyway, again, thank you for putting my mind at ease.

ChuckBrown
02-20-2013, 18:55
I use good old fashion 100 percent deet, always wear gaiters and always wear something on my head. I have seen them drop from trees and jump from the ground and just bounce off my gaiters.

yellowsirocco
02-20-2013, 18:58
April is usually too cold for ticks. Too cold for most insects actually. Georgia even sees some light snow in April.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2013, 19:42
Where are you planning to section hike? If it's anywhere in southern New England - say Lyme Ct., April is the prime start of tick season (we start treating animals in April). Most of the ticks you're likely to encounter on the trail though will be the non-deer variety and thus not carriers (still creepy though). However the shelters should be rampant with them since mice as well as deer are carriers. Keep yourself as clean as you can and check yourself at least 2X a day. Watch out for the symptons and assume there will be no bullseye. You can't really avoid the little buggers, but that doesn't mean they're guaranteed to get you sick. Oh, and don't bunk down with Bambi.

TheDuckOnTheJunebug
02-20-2013, 21:34
April is usually too cold for ticks. Too cold for most insects actually. Georgia even sees some light snow in April.
I pick up the occasional tick in Virginia in November or January. We have plenty down here, too.

bfayer
02-20-2013, 21:40
I get more ticks on me working in my yard than I ever have hiking.

swjohnsey
02-20-2013, 21:59
Carry a course of Doxycyclene 20 x 100 mg., drug of choice to treat Lyme and some other tick borne diseases.