PDA

View Full Version : Looking for David and Kate in Maine

karen0540
06-13-2005, 20:30
Looking for campers that just started out southbound from Maine starting point 2 days ago...new to this, so please be patient.

MOWGLI
06-13-2005, 20:44
Looking for campers that just started out southbound from Maine starting point 2 days ago...new to this, so please be patient.

Karen, welcome to Whiteblaze. Since they have to traverse the "100 Mile Wilderness", it might be a week or longer before they emerge in Monson, Maine. I'm sure if someone on here meets them on the trail, they'll post something here.

Jeffrey Hunter

karen0540
06-13-2005, 21:39
This hike was sprung on me last minute, so I have just started research into AT. A week ago, I had never even heard of AT! (from Chicago) David (my son) and his best friend, Kate, were driven to starting point by Kate's Dad. Is the 100 mile wilderness at beginning of trip? I bought a book, have been searching web, and now found this forum. Thank you for your patience, advice, and help! Karen:eek:

MOWGLI
06-14-2005, 06:03
This hike was sprung on me last minute, so I have just started research into AT. A week ago, I had never even heard of AT! (from Chicago) David (my son) and his best friend, Kate, were driven to starting point by Kate's Dad. Is the 100 mile wilderness at beginning of trip? I bought a book, have been searching web, and now found this forum. Thank you for your patience, advice, and help! Karen:eek:

Karen:

If they are walking south from Mt Katahdin in Baxter State Park, the 100 Mile WIlderness is the first major stretch of trail that they encounter. Don't let the name worry you. There are a number of logging roads and a fishing camp where they can get hamburgers and ice cream along the way. It's not a totally isolated place.

I wouldn't fret about the hike. As a mother - it's probably natural, but after hiking the trail myself, I would not have a problem with my daughters hiking the trail. It's a great experience.

TJ aka Teej
06-14-2005, 12:02
Welcome Karen,
Not to worry, about two dozen southbounders have started ahead of them already. Many already have made it into Monson. Do the kids have a maildrop list?
And please feel free to ask as many questions as you can think of. The members of this site are an amazing resource of hikers, service providers, trail maintainers, volunteers, and trail family, all ready and willing to help hikers - and hiker's parents too!

karen0540
06-15-2005, 03:05
Karen:

If they are walking south from Mt Katahdin in Baxter State Park, the 100 Mile WIlderness is the first major stretch of trail that they encounter. Don't let the name worry you. There are a number of logging roads and a fishing camp where they can get hamburgers and ice cream along the way. It's not a totally isolated place.

I wouldn't fret about the hike. As a mother - it's probably natural, but after hiking the trail myself, I would not have a problem with my daughters hiking the trail. It's a great experience. Thanks for the encouragement! It's great to know that the trail is not deserted. I am sure they will appreciate the burgers!

karen0540
06-15-2005, 03:25
I sincerely appreciate how friendly everyone on this site has already been! I am still learning my way around and plan to spend a lot of time on this forum in the coming weeks/months? Kate's dad has a list of maildrops, but he is not home yet from the drive out there. I am having trouble finding a list of good maildrops myself-also, what would you suggest I send in my care packages? Thanks and talk to you soon!

Heater
06-15-2005, 04:11
I sincerely appreciate how friendly everyone on this site has already been! I am still learning my way around and plan to spend a lot of time on this forum in the coming weeks/months? Kate's dad has a list of maildrops, but he is not home yet from the drive out there. I am having trouble finding a list of good maildrops myself-also, what would you suggest I send in my care packages? Thanks and talk to you soon!

Amicalola Falls State Park
Visitors Center
Walisi-Yi Center

Blueberry Patch Hostel or
Hiawasse PO

Franklin PO

NOC Outfitters

Fontana Village PO or
The Hike Inn

Happy Hiker Outfitters

Mountain Momas Hostel

Hot Springs PO

Nolichucky Hostel or
Erwin PO

Elk Park PO or
Roan Mountain PO

Kincora Hostel or
Laurel Creek Hostel

Damascus PO

Troutdale PO

Village Motel

Bastian PO or
Bland PO

Rendezvous Motel or
Pearisburg PO

Catawba PO

Best Western Motel or
Econolodge Motel

Big Island PO or
Glasgow PO

Tyro PO

Inn at Afton or
Waynesboro PO

Luray PO

Front Royal PO or
Linden PO

Bears Den Hostel or
Bluemont PO

ATC Headquarters or
Harpers Ferry PO

Cascade PO

Ironmasters Hostel

Boiling Springs PO

Duncannon PO

Port Clinton PO

Slatington PO or
Palmerton PO

Delaware Water Gap PO

Unionville PO

Arden PO

Bear Mountain PO

Kent PO

Salisbury PO

Tyringham PO

Bascom Lodge

Bennington PO

Manchester Center PO

Inn At The Long Trail

Hanover PO

Glencliff PO

North Woodstock PO

Pinkham Notch Visitors Center

Gorham PO

Andover PO

Rangeley PO

Stratton PO

Caratunk PO

Monson PO or
Shaw's Boarding House

White House Landing Camp

Daicey Pond Ranger Station

attroll
06-15-2005, 12:13
I would not be sending care packages to just any maildrop. They may not be checking every maildrop along the way. I would wait first to here from Kate's dad and get the list and then start from there.

karen0540
06-15-2005, 13:39
Just heard the kids are expecting a package when they get to Monson. Any ideas what would be most appreciated for 2 kids just out of the 100 mile?

karen0540
06-15-2005, 13:59
I am so happy to have found this forum! If I did not have to go to work, I'd spend all evening searching this site. Wait! If I did not have to go to work, I'd be hiking the AT myself! Maybe next year...Your kind words of advice have saved me from some sleepless nights worrying out of ignorance. But...are the black flies bad this year? Just curious...NOT "worrying", just wondering...LOL!

gr8fulyankee
06-15-2005, 15:11
...are the black flies bad this year? Just curious...NOT "worrying", just wondering...LOL!
Nah the black flies are nothing compared to all the bears... :D

ferryman
06-15-2005, 20:08
Often times duriing the hiking season here in Maine, I receive calls from concerned family members and friends inquiring on the whereabout of certain hikers. On a rare occasion, the Maine Warden Service will call concerning a missing person report. While Maine is large in size (22 million acres) the trail is small and personal. The Maine Appalachian Trail Club provides caretakers and ridgerunners at certain intervals along the 280 miles of trail maintained land. At our annual meeting last weekend in The Bigelows, we discussed "strategy and Leave No Trace" principles with returning caretakers and those who are just starting out. The locations are: Abol Bridge (Baxter State Park), Gulf Hagas (100 mile wilderness), Kennebec Ferry (Caratunk), Horns Pond (The Bigelows-Stratton) and Piazza Rock (Rangeley). Word of mouth travels quickly on the trail and over the years we have established partnerships with stores near trailheads to post notices for hikers. For novice and experienced hikers alike, the distance and weight of food supplies (10 days) will tend to slow you down a bit heading from Katahdin to Monson. Add black flies and rainy weather, getting to Monson looks better all the time. Rest assured that if a connection with family members is not made in Monson, the next stop is the Kennebec River and a most excellent (strong certainty) chance that I shall see them when they arrive to the Kennebec River. Yours, Steve 'ferryman' Longley

attroll
06-16-2005, 01:21
Nah the black flies are nothing compared to all the bears... :D
Come on now. LOL. We just started to make Karen feal comfortable and to stop worrying about her son and hopefully she knows you are just kidding. Karen he is just kidding.

karen0540
06-16-2005, 02:20
Nah the black flies are nothing compared to all the bears... :D LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

karen0540
06-16-2005, 02:23
Come on now. LOL. We just started to make Karen feal comfortable and to stop worrying about her son and hopefully she knows you are just kidding. Karen he is just kidding. I know he is kidding and I appreciate the humor very much! You guys are great!:jump

karen0540
06-16-2005, 02:25
Often times duriing the hiking season here in Maine, I receive calls from concerned family members and friends inquiring on the whereabout of certain hikers. On a rare occasion, the Maine Warden Service will call concerning a missing person report. While Maine is large in size (22 million acres) the trail is small and personal. The Maine Appalachian Trail Club provides caretakers and ridgerunners at certain intervals along the 280 miles of trail maintained land. At our annual meeting last weekend in The Bigelows, we discussed "strategy and Leave No Trace" principles with returning caretakers and those who are just starting out. The locations are: Abol Bridge (Baxter State Park), Gulf Hagas (100 mile wilderness), Kennebec Ferry (Caratunk), Horns Pond (The Bigelows-Stratton) and Piazza Rock (Rangeley). Word of mouth travels quickly on the trail and over the years we have established partnerships with stores near trailheads to post notices for hikers. For novice and experienced hikers alike, the distance and weight of food supplies (10 days) will tend to slow you down a bit heading from Katahdin to Monson. Add black flies and rainy weather, getting to Monson looks better all the time. Rest assured that if a connection with family members is not made in Monson, the next stop is the Kennebec River and a most excellent (strong certainty) chance that I shall see them when they arrive to the Kennebec River. Yours, Steve 'ferryman' Longley Thanks very much! And tell them I said to brush their teeth and eat their veggies!

JORGENSEN
06-16-2005, 18:46
i miss kate and david !

karen0540
06-17-2005, 02:51
And I am also very proud of them, their sense of adventure, and their courage. Imagine the photos we will see and the stories we will hear upon their triumphant return! They have probably already experienced more breath taking views, challenges, adventures and mis-adventures, etc. in this first week than many people do in their entire lives. What a wonderful way to spend the summer!:sun

JORGENSEN
06-24-2005, 08:30
Has anyone seen these two. It has been ten days since they left Katadyn campground and they should be hitting monson. We would love too hear if anyone has seen them. Also how mant sobo's have there been so far this season. Rich J.

karen0540
07-01-2005, 16:21
I have decided that the best thing for David IS to stay on the journey w/ Kate...and his reluctance to continue may be based on his feeling that he cannot afford the financial costs ahead. I am going to tell him to GO FOR IT and I will foot the bill...college can wait..I think this is probably better than college at this juncture in his life...there's always next year for the annual family trip to Minnesota. Thanks to everyone who opened my eyes to this realization. (Thanks, Rich J. for your advice and support!):-?