PDA

View Full Version : Pa in March

woodsman
02-20-2013, 13:34
Going to hike the 1st 120 miles or so in Pa 3rd week in March from Pa16 to Pa 501 Pine Grove. I am assuming it could be wet this early?

Could someone chime in on the terrian?

Thanks!!!!!!!

kyhipo
02-20-2013, 13:40
Not bad in march cold!watch early ice on rocks,have fun.ky

Cookerhiker
02-20-2013, 14:48
You'll hit the fabled PA rocks mostly on your last 1-2 days after Swatara Gap. Also, the 10 miles or so before Rt. 30 (your first or second day) are along Rocky Mountain whose name exists for a reason! But in my recollection, it's not as tough footing as further north.

Regarding weather, you're bound to have some rain for a hike that long. Be prepared for cold rain. Shelters are numerous enough if you so choose. The stretch from Alec Kennedy to Darlington is long (not home, can't look up the mileage) but much of it is across the Cumberland Valley, a very easy stretch.

And don't forget The Doyle:D

Wildbird
02-20-2013, 15:47
And between Darlington and Alex Kennedy you could stay at the Allentown Playhouse in Boiling Springs - they have a hiker hostel and it's right off the trail. Plan on cold weather and moderate hiking, not too difficult at all.

rocketsocks
02-20-2013, 16:20
March in the Northeast has always been a "Crap Shoot" best to be prepared for freezing rain, snow, and sunny skies. have a great hike.:sun

Stalking Tortoise
02-20-2013, 21:47
I did most of that section during March hikes. Freezing temps, cold wind and snow on the ground as I left Pen Mar Park. Cold & rainy conditions from Pine Grove Furnace to Boiling Springs. A sunny day crossing the Cumberland Valley and finally a wet and foggy day up to Duncannon and across the Susquehanna. That was all in one week.

The following year, I had snow flurries in Rausch Gap and my bottle of soda (pizza delivery) froze overnight inside the 501 shelter. During the day, it was warm enough to work up a sweat. Gotta love March hikes in PA...

RED-DOG
02-21-2013, 15:05
Cold,Wet,Rocky. Good luck go have lots of fun and Watch your step.

TheYoungOne
02-21-2013, 15:51
+1

3rd week in March it could be anything from freezing cold, sleet and snow, to 68 degrees and sunny. I don't know about your trail section specifically but most PA in general didn't get a lot of snow this year. Still prep for freezing temps and cold rain, but I think you will be blessed a few warm days. The Groundhog promised an early spring.

Good luck.

strnorm
02-21-2013, 18:09
could be wet or white, but it will be slippery most of the rocks is after pine grove to deleware water gap

FarmerChef
02-21-2013, 18:10
+1 on slippery when wet. Some of the sections are pure rock scrambles and your pace may slow dramatically if it's raining. Shouldn't be a problem if you allow enough time for it. Most of all, have fun!

Tinker
02-21-2013, 18:18
Cold fog from snow.............there's nothing like it - especially if it's blowing hard - everything gets wet. On the upside - you shouldn't have any trouble finding water (more of a problem north of Duncannon).

Have fun.

I'll be in Maryland. :D

Deerleg
02-21-2013, 23:10
Between all of the rocks, slippery, cold and wet are long manageable low ridges, easy short climbs, great views, great towns stops, the beautiful Cumberland Valley, and good drinking water.
Have a great hike!

BigHodag
02-21-2013, 23:31
Unicoi Zoom is currently sectioning your piece of PA. Might contact her via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/ncuriel

UnfamousK
02-25-2013, 16:15
from that area of PA as well as planning a few nights out the last week of march in that same area.....im planning for cold freezing rain and sunny in the high 50s....PA in March is hit or miss...i can tell you most of the snow will be gone by then if we dont get anymore.....If you make it farther north than expected be sure to stop at my house, The Port Clinton Fire Company for a cheap cold beer :)

keepinitsimple
02-25-2013, 16:21
Gotta love PA, it has everything! Just think, you are avoiding most of the deer ticks!

TheYoungOne
02-28-2013, 15:54
Also the good thing is March you don't have to worry about hunters. Small game just ended last week (Feb 23) and Spring Gobbler Turkey is between April 27 and May 31. I would still wear something bright and reflective, for road crossings and just in case.

http://archery.biz/pennsylvania/hunting-seasons.shtml

illabelle
02-28-2013, 19:17
We'll be doing this section in mid-April. If it's not too much trouble, please clear the spiderwebs for us and remove all the tripping hazards. ;) Thank you very much!

PosterNutbag
03-01-2013, 00:40
What clothes would you recommend bringing for a weekend trip? I have a 20 degree bag and a tarp tent moment.. I was thinking rain jacket, sweatshirt ,running pants, shorts, gloves, hat and a pair of boxers

Hipcheck
03-01-2013, 01:29
Everyone has answered your questions.. I'm just chiming in to say give me a shout if you run into trouble! Always happy to help a hiker.. I'm in the Lehigh Valley.

Cookerhiker
03-01-2013, 08:46
What clothes would you recommend bringing for a weekend trip? I have a 20 degree bag and a tarp tent moment.. I was thinking rain jacket, sweatshirt ,running pants, shorts, gloves, hat and a pair of boxers

If your sweatshirt is cotton, it will provide little insulation and is useless when wet. There's a reason for the expression "cotton kills." Your warm layer should be a wool or fleece sweater.

TheYoungOne
03-22-2013, 08:35
+1

3rd week in March it could be anything from freezing cold, sleet and snow, to 68 degrees and sunny. I don't know about your trail section specifically but most PA in general didn't get a lot of snow this year. Still prep for freezing temps and cold rain, but I think you will be blessed a few warm days. The Groundhog promised an early spring.

Good luck.

I hope the OP is OK. It cold snap has blown in this week. Also the Groundhog is dead meat for screwing up so bad.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/03/21/ohio-prosecutor-seeks-death-penalty-for-punxsutawney-phil-after-bad-forecast/

redseal
03-28-2013, 17:16
How did the trip go? I was out in PA for 3 days and met quite a few fellow hikers out on the trail.

PosterNutbag
03-31-2013, 22:33
I got back on friday, I did a 1 nighter and hiked around 35 miles for the 2 days. gotta say the knifes edge is really something! I brought with me a pair of running tights, fleece and a rain jacket shell. did all my hiking in shorts and at shirt and wore the shell when I got chilly ( kept it on the top of my pack ready to go). I was great, only got a little cold around 8.30 pm but just went to bed

TheYoungOne
04-01-2013, 09:31
I got back on friday, I did a 1 nighter and hiked around 35 miles for the 2 days. gotta say the knifes edge is really something! I brought with me a pair of running tights, fleece and a rain jacket shell. did all my hiking in shorts and at shirt and wore the shell when I got chilly ( kept it on the top of my pack ready to go). I was great, only got a little cold around 8.30 pm but just went to bed

Was there any ice and snow along the trail? If I have the time, I'm shooting for a Lehigh Gap to Delaware Water Gap hike this weekend.

Hipcheck
04-01-2013, 11:01
No snow from Wind Gap to DWG.. I'm guessing there's none south of there, but haven't witnessed it first hand.