PDA

View Full Version : Flying with Pack

woodsman
02-20-2013, 14:19
For the ones who have flown to your starting point:

Was it easy to travel with your loaded pack?

Did the airlines take care of your pack or was it thrown around like the rest of the baggage?

Anything that you would do different next time?

SCRUB HIKER
02-20-2013, 14:37
Every time I've had to check a backpack, I've stuffed all of the extra strap lengths inside the pack itself so they don't get torn off. You can't have anything lashed to the outside of the pack or it probably won't make it. Baggage handlers aren't going to treat anything specially. I think I've also locked the zippers shut, but I can't remember specifically. I've worn my boots and hiking clothes on the plane (on the way there ... they smell too much to do that on the way back, might want to consider mailing yourself some extra clothes at the endpoint).

Some people in this thread on BPL (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60870) suggest putting the pack in a duffel bag, along with your poles if you have them, or anything else that wouldn't normally fit in your backpack. Even if your pack can fit as a carry-on, there's no way you can carry on trekking poles.

Cookerhiker
02-20-2013, 14:40
...Some people in this thread on BPL (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=60870) suggest putting the pack in a duffel bag, along with your poles if you have them, or anything else that wouldn't normally fit in your backpack. Even if your pack can fit as a carry-on, there's no way you can carry on trekking poles.

That's what I did - the backpack plus other luggage all in one duffel bag. A bit unwieldy but it worked OK. Left the duffle and other stuff at a friend's house while I hiked the JMT.

Hot Flash
02-20-2013, 14:45
You can also wrap it with stretchy plastic shipping wrap...

88BlueGT
02-20-2013, 14:53
I lock on the zipper sounds like a good idea (if your pack has a zipper). Also, having it wrapped works well. I know at my local airports they do this for a small fee ($10-15).

Zmaidment
02-20-2013, 14:58
You can also wrap it with stretchy plastic shipping wrap...
+1 on the plastic wrap. It holds it all together, the baggage handlers usually leave it alone, no need for locks, could get away with wrapping crocks on the outside and when you land just cut off and throw away. No need to ship back a duffel bag. Definitely worked for me in costa.

Coffee
02-20-2013, 15:01
I'm considering taking my backpack as a carry on and mailing the items ahead that cannot be taken on the plane (trekking poles, tent poles, tent stakes, knife, stove, fuel, matches, lighters, etc etc). I am quite paranoid about an airline losing or damaging my pack or some TSA drone rummaging through the things in my pack that look "interesting" and screwing everything up. If they are going to inspect things that are unusual (bear canister, etc), I'd rather they do it in my presence at the security checkpoint. Also, I have nowhere to stash a duffel bag at my destination and I won't have a car. Anyway, I'm not sure what I'll do yet but carry on is what I'm leaning toward right now.

Hot Flash
02-20-2013, 15:26
I lock on the zipper sounds like a good idea (if your pack has a zipper). Also, having it wrapped works well. I know at my local airports they do this for a small fee ($10-15).

Zipper locks are useless. A simple pen will allow someone to open your zipper, ignoring the lock, and have full access to anything inside. If it's a dual-way zipper, they can even zip it back up with the lock in place, and you'll never know you were robbed until you actually open the bag and inspect the contents -- generally much too late to file a complaint with the airline.

Hot Flash
02-20-2013, 15:28
I am quite paranoid about an airline losing or damaging my pack or some TSA drone rummaging through the things in my pack that look "interesting" and screwing everything up. If they are going to inspect things that are unusual (bear canister, etc), I'd rather they do it in my presence at the security checkpoint...

You can request that checked luggage be inspected in your presence.

RedBeerd
02-20-2013, 15:36
Good question. Wondering this as well.
Would it make any sense to ship everything to local PO of your destination and just carry on the bare essentials you need until you arrive?

DeerPath
02-20-2013, 15:38

I have small TSA approved locks for my luggage. They are combination locks (you set the numbers) with a universal TSA key lock, letting the TSA open you lock vs. damaging the lock and/or pack.

Hot Flash
02-20-2013, 15:39
Good question. Wondering this as well.
Would it make any sense to ship everything to local PO of your destination and just carry on the bare essentials you need until you arrive?

If you're taking a stove, then it is good to ship that at least, and plan on buying the fuel when you're at your destination. The last decade, airlines are pretty touchy about stoves if they have even the slight smell of fuel. I've even had trouble flying with a brand new stove still in the original packaging.

Prime Time
02-20-2013, 16:28
If you're taking a stove, then it is good to ship that at least, and plan on buying the fuel when you're at your destination. The last decade, airlines are pretty touchy about stoves if they have even the slight smell of fuel. I've even had trouble flying with a brand new stove still in the original packaging.
I'm planning on drop shipping to my starting point at Amicalola Falls Lodge whatever I can't keep in my pack for carry on. Regarding fuel, my shuttle guy sells fuel canisters, so that's how I solved that. If that somehow still doesn't work you can mail fuel canisters if you send your drop shipment Parcel Post. A little slower (4-7 days) but half the price as other methods. I may yet go the duffel bag route, and check everything (God help me) but then I have to figure out how to deal with the duffel bag.

Hot Flash
02-20-2013, 17:07
I have small TSA approved locks for my luggage. They are combination locks (you set the numbers) with a universal TSA key lock, letting the TSA open you lock vs. damaging the lock and/or pack.

Zipper locks are useless, combination or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI&feature=related

flemdawg1
02-20-2013, 17:31
I've done both duffel bags and the garbage sack route. Both arrived safely to start. On my return trip however the garbage bag was ripped, nothing was harmed as the backpack was pretty well closed without anything in the pockets. An Army style duffel works pretty well, and can easily be stuffed into and a large envelope and mailed whenever you arrrive.

If going the duffel route, however, always keep your souvenirs with you. Twice I was missing souvenir articles that I placed in my duffel, and TSA had been in my duffel for inspection.

NLaeger
02-20-2013, 17:34
I flew with my pack in a duffle last summer with a TSA approved lock on the duffle. When I got to my destination my pack was mostly intact, they did indeed search it, nothing was missing except my TSA approved lock!!! I had everything in my pack stove, knife, trekking poles, and even dehydrated food. Like I said things were rearranged inside my pack but nothing was missing...

treetop flyer
02-20-2013, 22:48
If you can get the pack through security as a carry on, e.g. No fuel, liquids or knives etc, you should be able to gate check it as you board the plane and retrieve it as you deplane, in the same way they gate check baby strollers. That way you are present when TSA goes through the pack. I would try that route before relying on regular baggage check. It may require shipping ahead or buying fuels, liquids etc. at your destination. The TSA website is pretty specific and accurate on what they allow and what they will flag.

StarMan
02-21-2013, 00:07
Don't over think this.....What would you use if you mailed your stuff?

A BOX

I have flown dozens of times with my pack and those evil do'ers, hiking poles......in a plain old medium size moving box. Never had one opened and inspected.
If you fly like I do to Hawaii, you will see locals hauling 50lbs of mainland items in: BOXES. (I saw one family of four with a total of 12 boxes one flight)

Once you get your box from baggage claim, find a luggage porter and he or she will have a knife handy. Unload the box, pack your pack and break down the box for the trash or re-cycle. Off you go on your trek.

StarMan

chiefiepoo
02-21-2013, 00:23
2 x a year I load everything ( pack, boots, poles ) into an Osprey Airporter duffel and check it to destination. In the airporter is a USPS priority box and some tape. At my destination the airporter gets folded and stuffed into the USPS box and is sent to a PO or other place at my end point. Always have a TSA calling card announcing their snooping around when I get to where I'm going. Never lost anything, yet.

rusty bumper
02-21-2013, 10:05
I bought a cheapo suitcase (about $30) at the local discount house and filled it with all my gear for the flight to Atlanta. I spent a night in Atlanta and donated the suitcase to the owner of the B&B I stayed at. She was happy to take it.

colorado_rob
02-21-2013, 10:34
I taken about a dozen international trips, and close to that many domestic ones with all of my climbing/hiking/backpacking gear, always simply checked it, never had any problems, even with my various stoves and fuel bottles. I always disassemble the stoves into the smallest pieces possible and put them in triple zip-locks and separated in the luggage. for simple backpack trips, I just put the backpack in a large trash bag, wrap tape around it, poke a hole in the top to be able to grap the haul loop, and check it. I did use a box once, that works well too. Basically, they just don't want loose straps on checked luggage. that plastic wrap stuff around backpacks works well too, in fact, the Denver United check in has that stuff available to use.

Of course, you cannot check fuel of any sort.

As said below, don't over think this.

88BlueGT
02-21-2013, 10:51
I am aware that you can have issues with packing stoves on flights. Has anyone had a problem with packing a pepsi-can stove?

BFI
02-21-2013, 10:57
I bought a cheap hockey bag and put my pack and poles in it. When I arrived in Atlanta my bag went to the oversize area for pick up.

flemdawg1
02-21-2013, 16:11
I am aware that you can have issues with packing stoves on flights. Has anyone had a problem with packing a pepsi-can stove?

Nope. Taken penny Stove and Fancy Feast stoves, cross-Country (AL-CA) a couple of times and took the alcky stoves because I didn't want the hassel of finding an outfitter for butane canisters. Even used the stove 2-3 hours for morning coffe the day of my return flight. Burn all the fuel out then let it sit till cooled down, all the alcohol should be evaporated then.

88BlueGT
02-21-2013, 16:44
Nope. Taken penny Stove and Fancy Feast stoves, cross-Country (AL-CA) a couple of times and took the alcky stoves because I didn't want the hassel of finding an outfitter for butane canisters. Even used the stove 2-3 hours for morning coffe the day of my return flight. Burn all the fuel out then let it sit till cooled down, all the alcohol should be evaporated then.

Sweet. That's great to know.

singing wind
02-21-2013, 17:53
Good ideas about the box and cheapo suitcase.

When flying anywhere, especially from overseas, I usually put every restricted item including my hiking poles inside my pack, tighten down all the straps, click together anything than can, and put it in a plastic bag or some kind of sack if I can find one. Onboard goes my sleeping bag and any unrestricted gear that I would prefer not to replace at all or on short notice. So far, so good.