PDA

View Full Version : Pre-trip physical exam

wildbilltn
02-20-2013, 15:47
Anyone else getting a physical exam from their doctor prior to thruhiking?

rocketsocks
02-20-2013, 15:55
That's a very interesting question....with full blood work-up, that might be very telling with regard to end of hike results...like nutrition...hmm?, and a test for lymes, which we no can be false-negative, but it wouldn't hurt.

barf_jay
02-20-2013, 16:09
Since a thru is very physically demanding, a good check for any issue prior to you leaving is actually a good idea in my opinion. How many do it, probably not many....if you have any health issues I would rather find out prior than later....have a good hike!

RiverSong
02-20-2013, 16:21
I just got my physical, in fact. I would highly recommend it, especially if you still have health insurance!

I made a point to tell both the nurse and the doctor exactly what I plan to be doing - i.e. extremely strenuous activity and exposure to the elements, under possibly dubious nutrition, for five or more months without good heath insurance or easy access to doctors.

Once my doctor understood the nature of the trials ahead of me, he definitely added a few things to his list of tests. He gave a really thorough listen to my lungs, tested my pulse at multiple body points, did a cardiogram to look for heartbeat issues, and added a few metabolic measures to the usual blood tests. I told him about every little issue I've had since my last physical, whether it seemed relevant to hiking or not, just in case it made any difference.

Remember, doctors don't get tired of hearing about medical stuff....in the same way we don't get tired of hearing about gear and food. If you've got a good doctor, you're not going to gross him or her out, or bore them. Just tell them everything you know, and ask as many questions as you have.

One final bit of advice - when you leave for the trail, make sure you have access to your doctor's contact info - if you run into medical trouble, you might need to get in touch fast.

Best wishes to all - for good health and easy miles!

Break:Away
02-20-2013, 17:01
I had a full physical including EKG and even told my doctor what my plans are and asked that he review the EKG and be extra critical. His response..."Go Hiking". :)

max patch
02-20-2013, 17:10
Don't forget the dentist.

CarlZ993
02-20-2013, 17:54
I couldn't schedule my normal physical until two days prior to my flight (timing on the previous year's physical). I'd seen my doctor on another matter and informed him of my pending thru hike. He was excited for me (he's an avid runner & marathoner). I'll discuss w/ him about any possible medical issues and whether or not to prescribe any meds beforehand.

I've got a dental appointment two weeks prior to the flight. Regularly scheduled 6-mo check-up. He's an avid backcountry fly-fisherman. He heard from my wife about my pending hike. He's also is excited about my trek.

I had a stress test done (nuclear) and it showed no reduced blood flow to the heart. So, assuming the dentist doesn't pull out all my teeth or my regular doctor finds something that my cardiologist missed, I'm good to go.

gumball
02-20-2013, 18:02
We time our annual physicals and blood work for right prior to the our hiking season, usually April--its really important to us a section hikers, too.

Trippinbilly33
02-20-2013, 18:15
I started exercising a few years ago in preparation for a thru attempt. I ate better started hiking and bought the Insanity workout videos. They recommend getting a physical before starting. Advice I immediatetly ignored and began the program.
I dropped weight and and felt great for a few weeks then suddenly I found myself short of breath and extremely fatigued.
After a few weeks I broke down and went to my doctors office were I was told that I needed a pacemaker due to an un-diagnosed heart condition.
The stress of the exercise and strain on my heart exacerbated the underlying condition.
I highly suggest that anyone attempting a thru hike get a thorough medical, dental and physical prior to attempting a thru hike.

Break:Away
02-20-2013, 18:30
Good point, Max Patch. I did that too...$900 later, my teeth are ready!

Half-Life
02-20-2013, 18:52

I'm currently uninsured (the joy!), but will be signing up for a 6-month policy starting April 1st. First thing I plan to do during those two weeks before I start hiking is get everything checked, just in case.

I'll try and hit up a dentist for a large amount of toothpaste samples as well. Though I hear toothpaste is optional. Flossing + brushing is highly effective already.

Zippy Morocco
02-20-2013, 21:41
I did the doctor and dentist. I also got a broad spectrum antibiotic prescription with refills just in case. I also got hepatitis A and B vaccine and Typhoid. Those are for my trip abroad after the hike though.

10-K
02-20-2013, 21:44

+1

I was going to say that too.

lkn4air
02-20-2013, 22:25
Geez I'm so messed up couldnt pass physical. Doctor does know what i will be doing. Doesn't increase my chance of dying and even if it did I still start trip April 4th. See you on the trail.

HYOH

daddytwosticks
02-21-2013, 08:20
I did the doctor and dentist. I also got a broad spectrum antibiotic prescription with refills just in case. I also got hepatitis A and B vaccine and Typhoid. Those are for my trip abroad after the hike though. Good tip about the vaccines. Don't forget tetnus. :)

douginky
02-21-2013, 11:04
I did the doctor and dentist. I also got a broad spectrum antibiotic prescription with refills just in case. I also got hepatitis A and B vaccine and Typhoid. Those are for my trip abroad after the hike though.

I also discussed my plans with my doctor, focusing on locations and time frames. Based on that discussion, my doctor gave me a number of prophylactic/just in case prescriptions based on possible threats to my health (i.e., the appropriate meds for exposure to lyme disease and giardia). I also got a just in case epipen - thank God for good Rx coverage. ;)

snowblind
02-21-2013, 12:44
Always a good idea to see a Dr. before a thru-hike... unless you end up having abdominal lapo. surgery 4-5 months surgery prior to leaving. Granted, it was voluntary, but I still got the go-ahead... Doc then gave me general BSA (broad-spec-antibiotic) just in case. Thought about using on the spider bite I got on trail, but that cleared itself up after 3 weeks. Should probably update my Tetanus shot though ...

BrianLe
02-21-2013, 13:46
If you're an older hiker, I suggest that you get blood/lab work done immediately on return from your thru-hike. I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure and found it interesting to do this to establish a sort of baseline "the best I can possible be at my age" on cholesterol and triglycerides by doing that, and comparing to blood work from a physical done shortly before starting the hike (which I indeed agree is a good idea).

max patch
02-21-2013, 14:00
If you're an older hiker, I suggest that you get blood/lab work done immediately on return from your thru-hike. I have high cholesterol and high blood pressure and found it interesting to do this to establish a sort of baseline "the best I can possible be at my age" on cholesterol and triglycerides by doing that, and comparing to blood work from a physical done shortly before starting the hike (which I indeed agree is a good idea).

How much improvement did you show? I also intend on doing this, and expect to see a marked improvement. My doctor agrees. However, Gator Gump stated in his book that he did this and did not see much improvement. He had poor numbers to begin with.

10-K
02-21-2013, 14:10
I'm sure you already know that high cholesterol can have a hereditary component. My brother-in-law is a picture of health - the guy could be on a magazine cover - but his cholesterol is through the roof and he controls it with statins.

Also, exercise from hiking is great and all but your 'hiker diet' determines your cholesterol more than anything. If you eat a load of high fat food to fuel your hike you could easily come back with higher cholesterol than you left with.

Snowleopard
02-21-2013, 14:39
A hiker over 50 or with known health problems should definitely consult their doctor and have a recent physical. If your trip is international, you should consult a travel clinic to get the appropriate vaccinations and meds.