PDA

View Full Version : Desperately Seeking Shade

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2013, 19:51
I am EXTREMELY photosensitive. I know that it probably sounds stupid to be planning an extensive outdoor adventure when outdoors is the last place I should be, but hey...it's just too boring inside. Sooo...in planning my sections this year, I need imput from those who've travelled different sections.....or even the entire trail.

What are the shadiest sections once the trees "leaf in"? Or perhaps....what sections have extensive amounts of open, unprotected trail?

(my idea of a section is up to 50 miles)

Slo-go'en
02-20-2013, 20:27
I guess you'd want to avoid the above tree line sections on NH and Maine and the balds of North Carloina, but every where else is fair game. The AT is called "the green tunnel" for a reason. Loose, long sleeve shirt, long pants and a sun hat, along with some sun block should be all you need to deal the enevitable sunny spots which can't be avoided.

Sandy of PA
02-20-2013, 23:11
How about a parasol? A Go-Lite chrome dome umbrella attached with elastic and toggles to a shoulder strap allows hands free portable shade. Pretty good in the rain too!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2013, 23:25
Actually I was planning on bringing a light umbrella....both for rain and for sun if I find myself frying through my hat and sunscreen. I was just wondering though about places to avoid at the worst "sun season" or time of day, like exposed mountain tops in NH or farm fields in PA. I figured if I were aware of specific stretches that would not provide any shade I could be sure to schedule those hikes for early spring or fall.

An actual parasol could be cool though, and add a certain panache to the hike!

Hosaphone
02-20-2013, 23:51
http://questionamexican.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/big_sombrero.jpg

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2013, 23:52
@Slo-go'en Thanks! These are the areas I figured might be an issue, but in looking at some of the gallery posts I became a little concerned about farmlands in PA, and some of the open stretches in VA. I can handle the odd stretch or so, but hours in unrelenting sun will knock me off the trail. (these places I can schedule in off-season, and make sure my hiking is all early or late in the day.)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-20-2013, 23:54
@Hosaphone PERFECT!!!! And I can tie it in to a review of the geography unit we did on Mexico last year! How big a stuff sack will it need, I wonder...

Slo-go'en
02-21-2013, 00:06
With the exception of the few miles of above tree line in NH and the balds of North Carloina, the majortity of the AT is in the shade. Open, sunny vistas are reasonably frequent, but of short duration unless you take a break there.

If you want to stay reasonably close to home, NY, CT, MA, and southern VT would do. You will of course, need your normal sun protection gear for the open areas. Just like on the beach, don't be in the sun between 11 AM and 3 PM.

poopsy
02-21-2013, 02:46
Hey,

I can't help you and I don't know anything about your photosensitivity but I think its great that you're bringing it up. Walking in the woods is one of the few passtimes where I feel comfortable. No photic sneezing, migraines or squinting. I get tired of the comments about my geezer sunglasses and big hats during the summer Some people have porphyria but me, bright sunlight just drives me crazy. It always has. They say that hiking in the Northwest is the best for people who like grey overcast rainy days.

daddytwosticks
02-21-2013, 08:15
Be aware, even into mid/later May down south (like where I am), trees will just be fully leafed out at high elevations (> 5000 ft). :)