PDA

View Full Version : Jumping on the bandwagon. another gear list for your review.

slntmnt
02-20-2013, 20:47
I have about a month until I fly down to georgia to start the trip. So far this is my gear list. It comes to about 18lbs total (minus shoes and trekking poles) without food and water. Let me know if you have any suggestions, I will humbly consider them all. Thanks!

Pack:

ULA Circuit

Sleep System:

Enlightened Designs 10* Quilt EMS Boreal 40* (warm temps)

BA Insulated Aircore 20x78

Lightheart Duo

LIghtheart Duo Footprint

Cook System:

Litemax Titanium

MSR Quicksolo Pot

Sea to Summit Food Bag

Foil Windscreen

Aluminum/Plastic Mug

MSR isopro fuel

Clothing:

Smartwool Baselayer top

Smartwool Baselayer botton

Shorts (2 Pair)

Icebreakers tshirts (2)

Icebreakers Boxers (2)

Lightweight fleece

merino wool socks (3)

Sock Liners (1)

MH Compressor Jacket

Dryducks Rain Suit

Hat

Gloves

Water:

Sawyer Squeeze Filter

Inline Adapter

Platypus 3L bladder

Gatorade Bottle

Trekking Poles:

Black Diamond Carbon Cork

Shoes:

Merrell Moab Vent

Crocs (camp shoes)

Misc:

First Aid Kit

Headlamp

Journal and Pen

Phone (iPhone)

Camera (or iphone for both)

Extra Ziplocks

Turkey Roasting bags

Z packs Med+ dry sack (for Quilt)

AWOL Guidebook

Knife (Leatherman Skeletool)

Bear Line/Caribiner

Toiletries

Solar Charger (pico)

PosterNutbag
02-20-2013, 20:50
I would do away with 1 pair of boxers and 1 pair of socks

Sensei
02-23-2013, 12:18
I few minor observations...

Canister stoves are not designed to be used w/ a windscreen. The reflected heat can cause the canister to overheat and explode.

You can wear your Smartwool top as your primary hiking layer for the first part of the hike, then switch to something lighter when it gets warm outside. No need for the Icebreakers shirts at the outset. Just push the sleeves up if you get warm.

This is strictly personal preference, but I try to sleep in a bag liner or clean clothes at night to keep my sleeping bag cleaner. This is a BIG help on longer trips. A liner is obviously much lighter and more practical.

I would take 1 or 2 more pairs of liner socks. Clean liners are more important than clean outer socks.

I assume you know the pros and cons of using a platy hydration system. It's good you are carrying a Gatorade bottle as backup in case the bladder leaks.

Most people have issues on the AT with solar chargers once the canopy fills in. They don't call it the long green tunnel for nothing!

What's in your first aid kit?

slntmnt
02-23-2013, 15:31
Thanks for the input! Right now I have Alcohol swabs, several different sized bandaids, benadryl, ibuprofen, and last but not least, vagisil for chaffing (comes highly recommended).

chilln
02-23-2013, 16:00
Just one minor thing. Change the one Gatorade Bottle to a one liter soda bottle. Your filter fits on then in case the squeeze bag breaks or you want to filter as you drink.

slntmnt
02-23-2013, 16:14
Very good point! Thanks!

XANGO
02-23-2013, 16:59
Looks good to me...I might consider switching to some running shorts that have a mesh lining and ditch the other pairs of shorts (If you're not afraid to show a little leg).