PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for hiking in the smokys

tucker0104
02-20-2013, 21:07
Looking to do a 3 day hike in the smokys probably 8 to 12 miles a day. I want to end up where I started. Any recommendations?

illabelle
02-20-2013, 22:17
You might check into doing a loop from Fontana using the AT along the ridges, then take a connecting trail down to the Lakeshore Trail (BMT). I haven't done this, but we ran into some guys who had. I assume you know about the BIG landslide a few weeks ago that took out a chunk of Newfound Gap Road between Cherokee and Newfound Gap, so I wouldn't plan anything up there if you're coming from NC.
Enjoy your hike.

tucker0104
02-20-2013, 22:29
I did not know about the landslide. Thanks for letting me know.

illabelle
02-24-2013, 09:17
I did not know about the landslide. Thanks for letting me know.

Here's an update, road reopening around May 15:
http://www.wate.com/story/21289492/contract-awarded-for-newfound-gap-road-repairs

johnnybgood
02-24-2013, 12:23
Big Creek Perimeter Loop starting at the Big Creek Campground. Duration and distance: three or four nights-- 34 miles.

Baxter Creek Trail from Big Creek CC to campsite # 38, then Mt.Sterling Ridge to Laurel Gap , Balsam Mountain Trail to the AT, on to Cosby Knob Shelter to Chesnut Branch then back to Big Creek.

--Also can take the Gunter Fork Trail a mile beyond Laurel Gap Shelter, then to Camel Gap Trail to connect the AT south of the Cosby Knob Shelter.