PDA

View Full Version : Fleece Layer Recommendation...

Studlintsean
02-21-2013, 13:57
I am looking for a recommendation on a mid weight fleece to layer under a wind proof jacket. I was in SNP this past weekend doing a day hike in what my car said was 14 degrees and had on a wicking short sleeve and long sleeve (Polyester) and a light weight wind proof jacket over top and while I was comfortable enough to not freeze, I think I could have used another layer (especailly on the decline). Id like to look into adding an additional layer when needed and have read a lot about a light weight fleece but do not have any experience with them. I have been looking at the Arcteryx Caliber Zip Neck Sweater and the North Face TKA 100 Microvelour Glacier 1/4 Zip Fleece Pullover Sweater since they are both onsale on various sites right now. Anyone have any experience with these?

Any input on what you use and works well for you? If possible, I would like to stay under $100 but all suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

bigcranky
02-21-2013, 14:35
I have a lightweight TNF microfleece zip tee that I use for this sort of thing. It's approximately Polartec 100 weight -- that is, not at all heavy or midweight for a fleece. More like a heavy base layer, but it's so airy it's not more than about 8.5 ounces in an XL.

You might look at the new Capilene 4 top -- that is a nice light piece that would be warm under a wind shirt.

The Cleaner
02-21-2013, 14:42
Use an Icebreaker or Smartwool baselayer and you won't need a midlayer if you have a good hardshell/windshirt.IMO all synthetics feel cool next to skin when damp with sweat.....

Studlintsean
02-21-2013, 14:47
I have a lightweight TNF microfleece zip tee that I use for this sort of thing. It's approximately Polartec 100 weight -- that is, not at all heavy or midweight for a fleece. More like a heavy base layer, but it's so airy it's not more than about 8.5 ounces in an XL.

You might look at the new Capilene 4 top -- that is a nice light piece that would be warm under a wind shirt.

Thanks for the input bigcranky. I looked at the Capeline 4 top and it looks nice but im wondering if something like the TNF microfleece zip tee could also suffice. How do you like yours? Its onsale for $30.00 (http://www.argear.com/the-north-face-tka-100-glacier-14-zip.html) right now which I feel is pretty hard to beat.

treesloth
02-21-2013, 16:20
Loki Midi Micro Fleece. I LOVE mine. Extremely versatile and very warm, 9oz, and in your price range. www.lokiusa.com

Studlintsean
02-21-2013, 16:42
TheCleaner and treesloth, Thanks for the recommendations. I will look into both of these.

FarmerChef
02-21-2013, 17:03
I agree with the cleaner regarding micro-midweight smartwool. I'm comfortable with a windbreaker on down to the teens, often removing the windbreaker on the uphills as I get too hot but popping it back on partway down the backside. While I do have a fleece I bring with me for when I'm in camp on those really cold nights, it almost never comes on while I'm hiking. It's warm but does not wick well and makes me much too hot. The smartwool does a much better job. Oh, and I'm usually in shorts to give you an idea of my hiking temperature. Yours will, of course, vary.

Feral Bill
02-21-2013, 17:19
If you do want a fleece (as I often do) I'd suggest the Mtn. Hardware Monkey Phur or equivelent. It is light, compact, and vents well when needed. For cheap, a nice wool sweater from Goodwill.

daddytwosticks
02-21-2013, 17:19
Starter brand microfleece pullovers' w/quarter zip from walmart. $7 and 11 ounces. :)

bigcranky
02-21-2013, 20:48
I think that Glacier top is what I have, and I love it. Wearing it right now.

gunner76
02-21-2013, 21:23
When really cold (32 or lower which is rare here) I use a longsleeve underwear top, a fleece jacket and a rain coat (which also acts as an windbreaker)

Studlintsean
02-22-2013, 12:31
Thanks for all the input. Much Appreciated.

Gunner- That is kind of what im thinking. I might see if the REI near me still has the NF one on sale and if so give it a try tomorrow while out on a day hike on the Occuquan Trail here in Northern VA.

RockDoc
02-22-2013, 15:26
After backpacking in Iceland I'm a big fan of the 66 degrees north brand. Pricey, but very nice, and last forever.

Deadeye
02-22-2013, 21:29
I don't think the quality of the fleece fabric varies much from Wal-mart to Patagonia or Eddie Bean, but the price sure does. I'd go for cheap as you can get, but with a full-length zipper for temperature control.

WingedMonkey
02-22-2013, 22:51
You might want to look into a fleece vest. I'm happy with mine over a wicking long sleeve and covered with a windbreaker when needed.

rocketsocks
02-22-2013, 23:46
I don't think the quality of the fleece fabric varies much from Wal-mart to Patagonia or Eddie Bean, but the price sure does. I'd go for cheap as you can get, but with a full-length zipper for temperature control.I agree with ya, probably more about the weave or nap...Poly is poly, I have a couple no namers that are just as good, and wicking shirts...same thing, recent bought a target CD brand long sleeve wicker shirt...that thing is thirsty and at a 1/3 the price of patagucci and the like, but in all fairness...it doesn't have the hand nor lay like the others, but I can live with that, not really into lookin good...ya feel me.

Venchka
02-23-2013, 02:32
Polartec Windblock jacket and pants from REI and vest from L.L. Bean. The fabric is magic. With/without Gore-Tex over jacket as conditions dictate. They have worked in New Orleans "liquid snow" winters, Canadian Rockies in October and Kazakstan six month winters. The best thing that I have found under the Polartec is a Columbia or LL Bean long sleeved, vented back, fishing shirt if temperatures warrent long sleeves.

Wayne

aaronthebugbuffet
02-23-2013, 05:09
http://www.melanzana.com/

bigcranky
02-23-2013, 10:26
I don't think the quality of the fleece fabric varies much from Wal-mart to Patagonia or Eddie Bean, but the price sure does.

My experience is that you get what you pay for. I found an LL Bean Polartec Power Dry top in tall sizes on sale, and ordered it immediately. It is, after all, exactly the same fabric as the Patagonia Power Dry top, right? But the Patagonia piece is much softer, silker, and lighter. I suspect that there are different grades of fabric with the same name but different prices, and different manufacturers choose among them for different price points.

colorado_rob
02-23-2013, 10:37
I do agree somewhat that you do get what you pay for, but over the years I've noticed some brands do have a higher "value" or performance vs. price, and Columbia brand seems to fit that bill. for some reason columbia brand fleece tops really work well for me, the 1/4 zip, 100 weight ones you can find at Dick's or Sports Authority for $20. I have a couple of those, one of which will be my vital 2nd layer on the AT. Or I might splurge and buy a new one.

daddytwosticks
02-23-2013, 10:43
Sit by the campfire and let that $100 fleece catch some embers. Me, I don't give a flip with my $7 Walmart fleece. Whatever works for you. My wife tells me I'm not very fashionable off the trail as well. :)

Deadeye
02-23-2013, 12:40
Sit by the campfire and let that $100 fleece catch some embers. Me, I don't give a flip with my $7 Walmart fleece. Whatever works for you. My wife tells me I'm not very fashionable off the trail as well. :)

Sort of like the freedom you have once your car gets it's first dent!

aviator60
03-17-2013, 22:06
Does anyone know of any PowerStretch type hoodies that are not bank-breakers? There's no doubt the Westcomb Ozone is nice but at $180 it better come with $150 cash in the pockets...

bigcranky
03-18-2013, 09:01
Here is a thread that might interest you (http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/54884/index.html). They could all be too expensive, of course.

Also, EMS has a full zip hoodie for $99 (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11101579). That one appears to have thumb loops, one of my primary requirements.

Finally, check the new Patagonia Cap 4 hoodie, which is not Powerstretch but might meet your needs.

aviator60
03-22-2013, 21:45
Thanks for the help guys. I ended up just buying the Westcomb jacket with my REI coupon and dividend. I didn't have anything else I really wanted and I could have saved some money but of all the options this is the only one I can see wearing anywhere off trail. Such is life...