PDA

View Full Version : Carrying money on a thru

Libertyguy
02-21-2013, 14:49
What's the best way to carry your cash on you while going from town to town.
I do not currently have a bank account but I am considering it.
I worry about my ID being stolen on the trail or worse freezing my account along with all my money.
Cash scares me for obvious reasons.
What do you guys think about buying visa gift cards and doing drops for a few hundred dollars at a time.
I figure that might help me ration my spending a little while at the same time keeping me safe and I can still ATM a few 20's out for back up.
just thought I'd make a thread so people could share their insights and experience.

wornoutboots
02-21-2013, 14:52
open a bank account with a bank that is most widely used along the trail, then carry some cash & an atm/debt card. Some folks on here can tell which bank is most prevalent along the trail, that way you don't incur all those fees. Have a Great Hike!

RED-DOG
02-21-2013, 14:53
I would not carry a lot of cash maybe only a couple of hundred, a DEBIT card is the way to go i have used them on each of my Thru's never had a problem, the gift card idea is great as long you don't loose any of them.

yellowsirocco
02-21-2013, 15:18
Credit cards are better than debit cards. Since you don't even have a bank account I don't know if a credit card is possible for you. Anyway credit cards give you a buffer between where you spend your money and where you store your money. If there is a bad charge on your credit card then you still have access to your money while they figure it out, but with a debit card the money is in limbo.

88BlueGT
02-21-2013, 15:53
I have not thru-hiked but I would think to carry a few hundred cash and get yourself a debit card. You can either do as suggested and find a bank that is most prevalent along the trail OR you can try and find a bank that reimburses you for ATM fees. I work for a local bank that offers this on account holders with over $5k between accounts (checking and savings). They have unlimited reimbursement for ANY ATM in the county... for someone who plans on doing a significant amount of travel, this can be very useful.

88BlueGT
02-21-2013, 15:55
Also, another thing to take into consideration is using your card out of state. MANY banks will shut your card down if they see a transaction XXX miles from your home, they use this as a security feature. I have had TD shut my card down multiple times when out of state and forgetting to call. It's a pain as it usually takes 24 hours to get it turned back on. Not sure if you could notify your bank to have them disable the feature or if you would have to contact them every XXX miles or so to let them know your next destination... never been in the position. Maybe someone can elaborate and/or clarify.

Libertyguy
02-21-2013, 16:08
geez why do cards have to be such a pain?
Does anyone know what bank is seen mostly around the trail?

There is another option I was checking out and that is the walmart money card. It acts as an online debit card and I don't think it will be hard to find walmarts anywhere. Rates are cheap but Im not sure how to go about withdrawing money from the account. I think the protection on these cards are not so good so I may not have to worry about them shutting the account down, but then if it gets lost or stolen I may be up appalachian shyt creek.

Sly
02-21-2013, 16:28
Pretty sure Bank of America is the bank you'll see most of the trail. When hiking and I see one I usually draw $300 and use the debit card feature and cash back when needed.

Hot Flash
02-21-2013, 16:42
Also, another thing to take into consideration is using your card out of state. MANY banks will shut your card down if they see a transaction XXX miles from your home, they use this as a security feature. I have had TD shut my card down multiple times when out of state and forgetting to call. It's a pain as it usually takes 24 hours to get it turned back on. Not sure if you could notify your bank to have them disable the feature or if you would have to contact them every XXX miles or so to let them know your next destination... never been in the position. Maybe someone can elaborate and/or clarify.

I travel a lot, and much of it is out of the country. All you have to do is notify your credit card provider that you will be traveling, and they won't block your card. I've charged things all over China, South Korea, Australia, Japan, the British Isles, and all over North America with no issues whatsoever.

gizzy bear
02-21-2013, 16:51
i use monopoly money...i've even bought several properties with it and never had a problem...

actually...i think the prepaid debit cards sound like a good idea...and let's face it...aren't there walmart(s) about every 7 miles?!?

Prime Time
02-21-2013, 17:23
i use monopoly money...i've even bought several properties with it and never had a problem...

actually...i think the prepaid debit cards sound like a good idea...and let's face it...aren't there walmart(s) about every 7 miles?!?
Well, actually, once you get past the CT/MA border, I think you'll only come anywhere near 3 Walmarts for the rest of the trip. One in Pittsfield MA (not really that close), one in West Lebanon NH, and one in Berlin NH (Not that close). That's it until Katahdin.

capehiker
02-21-2013, 18:15
I would advise against Visa gift cards. The minute you buy them, you start losing value due to the fees. So if you bought a card for use 4 months away you're gonna lose quite a few dollars.

kidchill
02-21-2013, 18:16
You don't need a few hundred in cash on you...carry $50-100 in cash and get an account with debit card or setup secured (prepaid) credit card...The only thing is, you'd have to see what happens if you lose said card...I don't know how that works. Easiest thing is to just open an account.

fredmugs
02-21-2013, 18:24
geez why do cards have to be such a pain?

To protect you.

CarlZ993
02-21-2013, 18:48
I travel a lot, and much of it is out of the country. All you have to do is notify your credit card provider that you will be traveling, and they won't block your card. I've charged things all over China, South Korea, Australia, Japan, the British Isles, and all over North America with no issues whatsoever.

+1.
Let the CC companies know in advance and there will be no problems. They will make a notation on your account of your travelling locations & times. Be sure to give them your cell phone number if there are any problems. That way, they won't call you home phone number if they have a question about a transaction.

Previously, I used a bill paying service that was located in SD. All my bills went there, they were scanned, and email notices were sent to me. From there, I paid my bills online (convenient when I traveled a lot). So, my billing address was listed in SD even though I lived in TX. When I tried to buy a new computer locally, my wife got a phone call at home from Visa asking why someone was buying a computer in TX. It got straightened out.

Anything drastically out of the ordinary may cause some glitches w/ the CC companies.

KingGator and Sons
02-21-2013, 20:15
I personally think the drop box idea with the prepaid cards is a great idea. My only question of that would be this...what if you miss that drop box or they lose it in transit? Losing a few candy bars is a little different than losing hundreds of dollars...I dont know. I like the idea though.

kayak karl
02-21-2013, 20:30
i have two accounts (with bank of america) when hiking i have an auto transferr to the card im carrying at about $100 a week. if card is lost i can only lose what's on it. if i need more i just transfer over to it. this is the same card i use online when at home. always have $100 cash on me.

i replaced a damaged card at a bank in 15 minutes. don't know the time it would take if stolen.

rocketsocks
02-21-2013, 20:30
I personally think the drop box idea with the prepaid cards is a great idea. My only question of that would be this...what if you miss that drop box or they lose it in transit? Losing a few candy bars is a little different than losing hundreds of dollars...I dont know. I like the idea though.Naw, those get stolen all the time.

Wise Old Owl
02-21-2013, 20:42
To protect you.

Fred- just a tad un-informed - having worked in the industry, Banking only protects their biggest investors, the middle and bottom with credit rated get fee-ed to death...

i have two accounts (with bank of america) when hiking i have an auto transfer to the card im carrying at about $100 a week. if card is lost i can only lose what's on it. if i need more i just transfer over to it. this is the same card i use online when at home. always have $100 cash on me.

good advice

i replaced a damaged card at a bank in 15 minutes. don't know the time it would take if stolen.

Yes - I am with TD... amazing service.

Naw, those get stolen all the time.

Yep totally seen that first hand!

Folks Cash is King in the woods... but in 20 years it will disappear... with a few laggers... Treat people with respect ask a few questions with every transaction... Take a moment and really like people and take an interest... it's all good.

BillyGr
02-21-2013, 20:47
Well, actually, once you get past the CT/MA border, I think you'll only come anywhere near 3 Walmarts for the rest of the trip. One in Pittsfield MA (not really that close), one in West Lebanon NH, and one in Berlin NH (Not that close). That's it until Katahdin.

The Pittsifeld one is really fairly close - from the map, it measures about 3 miles from the intersection of 8 & 9 in Dalton (which the trail goes through). Unfortunately for supply purposes it is only a regular WalMart (not super) - but the plaza has a full sized grocery (Price Chopper) and there is also a Stop & Shop (and Dicks for basic items) within another mile away.

Question being - do the guides list any of that (or just Dalton, which has only smaller (convenience) stores and such)?

OzJacko
02-21-2013, 21:17
I've travelled a bit and I think what is a good idea is to have a photocopy of any cards, licenses (in my case passports, visas) etc, left with a trusted family member or friend.
Should anything be stolen you can have them provide numbers etc quickly for immediate cancellation/replacement to be started.
A bit off topic, but especially for passports etc, leave them a digital copy for email to relevant places to speed up the process.
Re OP.
I am going with a credit card, a debit card and a small amount of cash.

KingGator and Sons
02-21-2013, 21:50
No wonder there are robberies on the trail once in a while now that i think about it. Almost EVERY THRU HIKER seems to have loot....lol

OzJacko
02-21-2013, 21:52
No wonder there are robberies on the trail once in a while now that i think about it. Almost EVERY THRU HIKER seems to have loot....lol
I would think most hikers carry a lot less than the average person in a town or city.
Less than $100 cash doesn't constitute a lot of "loot".

wornoutboots
02-21-2013, 22:01
aren't there walmart(s) about every 7 miles?!?

Nope, but if you could get a Dollar General Card, that's the ticket!! :D

KingGator and Sons
02-21-2013, 22:02
I would think most hikers carry a lot less than the average person in a town or city.
Less than $100 cash doesn't constitute a lot of "loot".

Tell a crackhead or alcoholic that is homeless that. If I was homeless, a $100 may make me consider losing my mind.

wnderer
02-21-2013, 22:06

I called my bank and credit card companies and told them I was hiking the AT. I also overpaid my credit cards by about $1000 each so I wouldn't get bills.

OzJacko
02-21-2013, 22:15
Tell a crackhead or alcoholic that is homeless that. If I was homeless, a $100 may make me consider losing my mind.
Not too many crackheads and homeless hike.
It jut looks like the trail is full of them.

Rob someone in a city and you can be spending their money in seconds.
Do it on the trail and you'll probably be on a search list before you hit bitumen.

KingGator and Sons
02-21-2013, 22:23
Not too many crackheads and homeless hike.
It jut looks like the trail is full of them.

Rob someone in a city and you can be spending their money in seconds.
Do it on the trail and you'll probably be on a search list before you hit bitumen.

That makes sense to me and I would imagine that you are right about that. Where I am from people get killed for less, so why not there too?

gizzy bear
02-22-2013, 00:48
Soooo... There is a walmart on katahdin???! ;)

gizzy bear
02-22-2013, 00:51
And....They don't call it dollar general for nuttin.... They are makin tha dollars!!! And I believe they are actually about every 47 inches...

gizzy bear
02-22-2013, 00:55
Crap... I tried to reply with posts in regards to my comments above .. Yeah.. That didn't work out so well... Kinda like the secret decoder.... DRINK MORE OVALTINE Y'ALL !!!!

pelenaka
02-22-2013, 02:11
What's the best way to carry your cash on you while going from town to town ...

Bra, handkerchief, safety pin. If my money is discovered I have bigger problems then being robbed.
I've also rolled up cash in a bandanna then tied the bandanna around my neck.

kayak karl
02-22-2013, 06:07
Bra, handkerchief, safety pin. If my money is discovered I have bigger problems then being robbed.
I've also rolled up cash in a bandanna then tied the bandanna around my neck.
i made a neck wallet. duct tape and paracord. works well. take it on the water also.

rocketsocks
02-22-2013, 06:12
i made a neck wallet. duct tape and paracord. works well. take it on the water also.
19887very nice!..my kids made somethin like that when they were in scouting, that project is on my list of to do's

88BlueGT
02-22-2013, 10:43
I called my bank and credit card companies and told them I was hiking the AT. I also overpaid my credit cards by about $1000 each so I wouldn't get bills.

This isn't going to prevent you from getting bills... they will just have a lower balance when you get them every month?

mrcoffeect
02-22-2013, 10:51

I notified my bank i was leaving for an extended time, they took the out of state protection off while i was away.

88BlueGT
02-22-2013, 11:13
I notified my bank i was leaving for an extended time, they took the out of state protection off while i was away.

Good to know this is possible. Thank you!