PDA

View Full Version : A Pack by Any Other Name...Would Smell as Sweet

Teacher & Snacktime
02-21-2013, 17:29
I bought a really nice pack at a really nice price at this year's REI garage sale. There's not a mark on it and it looks good as new. The only problem is it's smell that I didn't notice for about a week. It has been Fabreezed....seriously. Something must have died inside for it's former owner to pump out what must have been an entire bottle of the stuff into the main compartment. It's SO clean, and SO fresh it's sickening. Anything put in the pack comes out equally perfumed and nauseating. It literally takes my breath away (and not in a good way).

I've aired it out. I've freezing-aired it out. I've dumped-in a box of baking soda. I don't want to use anything too caustic because I don't want to destroy the "waterproof coating" on the nylon.

Does anyone have any ideas how to de-fragrance a pack?

tauwillow
02-21-2013, 17:49
I would spray it with vinegar and then let it sit out in full sun for a day or two.

bfayer
02-21-2013, 17:50
Sounds like one from the REI thru hiker rental program :)

I cant say if it will work for your specific problem, but I have used pet smell remover spray you get from a pet store to de-skink gear donated to our scouts. It actually works wonders and is safe for fabric.

swjohnsey
02-21-2013, 17:53
Most packs can be washed in a washing machine.

tauwillow
02-21-2013, 18:36
The pet enzyme products are terrific with any organic materials, but I don't know that it would knock out the Fabreeze perfumes.

jeffmeh
02-21-2013, 18:59
The pet enzyme products are terrific with any organic materials, but I don't know that it would knock out the Fabreeze perfumes.

I agree.

Perhaps an overnight soak in hot water and Oxiclean Free, then triple cold water rinsing, then drying in the sun? It took the stink out of a pack that made it from Springer to Katahdin.

NLaeger
02-21-2013, 19:22
This my seem really random but put cheap, the cheaper the better, vodka in a spray bottle and spray the pack down then let it air dry. The vodka smell and other smells will evaporate as it dries.
I use to work in costume shops for theater with some pretty smelly actors and this is the method we use for costumes that can't be laundered!!!

Hairbear
02-21-2013, 21:24
scent blocker for hunters

Teacher & Snacktime
02-21-2013, 22:47
Most packs can be washed in a washing machine.

That's what the sales rep said, but the Mfg states it should never be put in a machine (it has a partial frame of aluminum tubing that would be destroyed by the agitation, and the pack can't be separated from it).

Teacher & Snacktime
02-21-2013, 22:49
This my seem really random but put cheap, the cheaper the better, vodka in a spray bottle and spray the pack down then let it air dry. The vodka smell and other smells will evaporate as it dries.
I use to work in costume shops for theater with some pretty smelly actors and this is the method we use for costumes that can't be laundered!!!

Cool...my daughter worked in her college costume shop for years....I wonder if that was a solution of theirs too.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-21-2013, 22:52
I would spray it with vinegar and then let it sit out in full sun for a day or two.

I had considered lemon juice...an acid much like vinegar, but concerned about the effect on the fabric.

Thanks so much everyone....some good ideas here. I'll try them...one by one....and hopefully something will work. If not, you'll be seeing a used pack for sale!

MuddyWaters
03-01-2013, 05:52
Run a few inches of warm soapy water in bath tub. Insert pack, swish around for 5 min squeezing water in and out.
Replace with cold rinse water, repeat 2 or 3 times to get rid of all soap residue
Hang up on hanger on shower head, and let drip dry.

rocketsocks
03-01-2013, 06:21
20076if all the great ideas above don't work :sun

Slo-go'en
03-01-2013, 12:10
I Fabreezed one of my packs to get rid of a musty, mildewy smell. Just a few squirts inside and out. I'm not sure which smell is worse :) The smell will eventually fade, but it will take a while.