PDA

View Full Version : Current gear list for nobo thru

LHT
02-21-2013, 19:53
Ill be leaving for a nobo through hike from Springer Mtn sometime between March 28 and April 1. I'm looking for some suggestions on my current gear list. Do I have enough clothing? Im thinking of adding either a spare pair of running shorts or wind pants. I also have yet to purchase a headlamp, I'm leaning towards the zebra light h51, powered by one AA. All the gear weights are from websites or estimated, no scale. So far, everything comes out to be around 8.5lbs

Backpack:
Zimmerbuilt kiwi 14oz
Exped schnozzle pump bag (pack liner + pad inflator + pillow) 2.4oz

Shelter:
Tarptent contrail with 5 stakes 25.5oz

sleep stuff:
Exped ul7 16oz
MH phantom 32 long 24oz

clothing packed:
MH ghost whisper 7oz
Terramar merino wool long sleeve shirt 6oz
icebreaker 3/4 length merino wool tights 5oz
MH micro fleece beanie 1oz
thin cycling socks 1oz
smartwool sleep socks 2oz
marmot essence rain/wind jacket 6oz

worn clothing:
Patagonia cap 1 shirt 3oz
synthetic shorts 3-4oz
exoficcio boxers 3oz
thin cycling socks 1oz
bandana 1oz
New Balance minimus 14oz
Leki poles 16oz

Food+ Water:
snowpeak trek ti bowl with DIY lid 2oz
light my fire spork .3oz
zpacks blast food bag + 50ft zline 2oz
Aqua Mira 3oz
nalgene canteen 2oz
1L bottle 1.5oz

Electronics:
iphone in otterbox defender case 6oz
charger 1oz

Other:
first aid 2oz
repair kit (ducttape, pad patch kit, zip ties, needle, safety pins) 2oz
classic Swiss Army knife .8oz
Cut down sham wow 1oz
dr.Bronners .7oz
100% DEET .5oz
AWOL guidebook (4 sections) 2oz
headlamp (suggestions?) 2-3oz
Minibic + book of matches .6oz
TP in ziplock .8oz
Toothbrush and floss .6oz
money/cards 1oz

Slo-go'en
02-21-2013, 22:10
Your definately light on clothes. At least add a jacket or heavy shirt. Microfleece or wool. Add long pants. One cold rain storm and you could be in serious trouble.

swjohnsey
02-21-2013, 22:27
I would add some fleece mittens w/shells, and some kind of wind/waterproof pants. Petzl E-lite for headlight. You ain't gonna like the New Balance Minimus. I used a pair starting a Gorham and they lasted about a 100 miles.

KingGator and Sons
02-21-2013, 22:30
This is the thread for ME! I love the list....I am a newb, so I cannot offer much of anything to the post other than this is helpful to me as well. I have a lot less than he does at this point.

KingGator and Sons
02-21-2013, 22:31
BTW: Big ups MIDWEST! I just moved to Florida from Indianapolis, I hope you guys aren't getting snowed out. I know I left that area last January for good...it was 12 degrees. Got to Florida and it was 82.

LHT
02-21-2013, 22:38
I've got four torso layers including the down jacket, I'm going to think about adding a wool t shirt to start with. I will start looking for a pair of water resistant wind pants.

Thanks Slo-go'en

LHT
02-21-2013, 23:23
swjohnsey,

Forgot about the gloves, what do you think about using my wool sleep socks as mittens and adding a glove shell? I've come very close to buying the little petzl light but I've read lots of reviews (sticksblog has a great review) and I'm not sure it would be bright enough to hike in the dark with. In the past when I know its going to be a hot day, I've started moving well before the rises in order to be at camp or have time to relax before the hottest part of the day. I've been using the minimus shoes for two months now and have around 200 miles of the Buckeye trail on them. I like them because their light, dry fast, and are inexpensive at 45$ a pair (sierra trading post). There are a bunch of different models for the minimus shoes, some of which seem to have terrible reviews. I have another month to put them to the test but so far they seem to be holding up well.

KingGator
Between research on whiteblaze, youtube and backpackinglight + my own experience I've put together this list. So much information out there that has saved me some frustration and probably some money. I lost count of how many times I've shoveled the driveway this week..... training I guess.

MuddyWaters
02-21-2013, 23:30
I would add a light puffy too, synthetic or down.

Get the Zebralight H51, its an awesome light . Just dont run it on high much, and ALWAYS back the battery cover off a 1/4 turn to prevent turning on in pack accidentally. The switch is too easy to operate. The contact on battery cover doesnt touch the body and complete the circuit until it is screwed down all way

LHT
02-21-2013, 23:45
Thanks for the advice MuddyWaters, I'm probably going to order the zebralight soon. The ghost whisperer is a down jacket, its light but very warm. I've got a marmot synthetic filled jacket that I layer with the ghost when temperatures go well below freezing. The marmot jacket is over a pound though and If its ever that cold Ill be in my sleeping bag.

swjohnsey
02-21-2013, 23:56
You can use socks for mittens . . . maybe without shells. The little Petzl is adequate for night hiking, waterproof and very light. Also long battery life and red light. I always rose in time to move 30 minutes before sunrise so I used the headlight a bunch.

Tundra
02-22-2013, 01:22
I love my e-light. It's bright enough to night hike. Look at Patagonia, Houdini pants or Montbell Dynamo wind pant, they're both around 3oz. Also, possum down gloves from litetrail; 1.5 oz. combined with Mountain Laural Designs rain mitts. Great list. I'll be getting the Ghost Wisperer. Thanks for turning me on to it. It looks sweet.

Tundra
02-22-2013, 01:27
Oops, I meant combine the two pairs of gloves. Not combined for 1.5oz. but 3.

bubonicplay
02-22-2013, 01:40
Petzyl zipka, get it, it's lighter than the bulky headband and can be mounted anywhere.

LHT
02-22-2013, 09:31
Now Im thinking that maybe the e lite is the way to go... Id prefer the zebralight but its 3x as much as the e lite in both weigh and price. Im going to need the extra money for the windpants.

Tundra, now is a great time to buy the ghost whisperer... can be found for under 150$

bubonicplay
02-22-2013, 09:54
The elite isn't bear as powerfull as the other petzyls. The batteries are hard to find and expensive. Take the advice from the forums.

bfayer
02-22-2013, 10:18
The elite isn't bear as powerfull as the other petzyls. The batteries are hard to find and expensive. Take the advice from the forums.

I have to agree. I find my e-lite very marginal for night hiking. If the trail is flat and predictable, it will work, but there is no way I would use it at night if I knew I had a steep downhill or if I was thru hiking.

I have retired it to an emergency light when I day hike.

Since I am not a thru hiker, battery availability is not an issue for me, but I could see how it might be on a thru.

I am not discounting the advise of others on here, just giving my views from using it hiking at night.

saltysack
02-22-2013, 21:16
Zebra is the best headlight around.. I have the h 51 just recently hiked from 7pm til midnight w mine on standing Indian loop. Have petzel Tikka 2 and doesn't come close to zebra...expensive but worth it if your walking in the dark! Remember opinions are like a..holes...everyone has one!!!!

LHT
02-22-2013, 21:41
Im going to order the H51,I want something more than just adequate for night hiking.

I made a DIY rain kilt today out of a trashbag, shockcord, and velcro(modeled off the zpacks cloud kilt) I'm guessing it weighs around 2 ounces and will hopefully last me through April.