PDA

View Full Version : Patagonia Micropuff insulated jacket

10-K
02-22-2013, 08:56
I picked one of these up: http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-micro-puff-jacket-mens?CMP_SKU=PAT3044&MER=0406&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&003=8219600&010=PAT3044-FORGRE-M&mr:trackingCode=90DB4CB0-14D1-E111-9312-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=34363781985&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=57859236945&origin=pla&gclid=CLWd5N76ybUCFQmxnQodsHkA2Q and think I"m going to like it.

The XL weighs exactly 1 lb, 4 oz in its stuffsack. Well made - it's the first Patagonia item I've ever purchased.

It's perfect for when I need something warmer than my Montbell Thermawrap (14 oz on my scale) but not as warm as a bigger down coat/parka.

rocketsocks
02-22-2013, 09:11
I picked one of these up: http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-micro-puff-jacket-mens?CMP_SKU=PAT3044&MER=0406&CMP_ID=GAN_GPLA&003=8219600&010=PAT3044-FORGRE-M&mr:trackingCode=90DB4CB0-14D1-E111-9312-001B21A69EB8&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=34363781985&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=57859236945&origin=pla&gclid=CLWd5N76ybUCFQmxnQodsHkA2Q and think I"m going to like it.

The XL weighs exactly 1 lb, 4 oz in its stuffsack. Well made - it's the first Patagonia item I've ever purchased.

It's perfect for when I need something warmer than my Montbell Thermawrap (14 oz on my scale) but not as warm as a bigger down coat/parka.I've wanted to go to a down puffy, but have yet to do that. My EMS Mercury jacket with "Primaloft One" has served me well, pretty cheap on sale, I thinks it's 1 lb 5 oz has pit zips...It's my go to garmet each and every day....good luck with your purchase...I think you'll like that. Hmm, can't seem to find mine on there web site just now.

I should add, this mornings walk saw me in a tech wick long sleeve shirt, a 100 wt. fleece long sleeve ****, and the jacket...pit zips open after 10min. walking to get rid of the first humid sweat..and it was 26.9* out...I was toasty!

again good luck with yours...I think you'll find that primaloft pretty darn warm and giving back heat.

bfayer
02-22-2013, 09:19
I really need something a bit warmer than my Marmot Baffin, but not as warm as my Montbell Alpine light.

I believe my Marmot uses 60 gm. Primaloft Sport insulation.

Please keep us up to date on how it works out for you.

10-K
02-22-2013, 09:28
I've wanted to go to a down puffy, but have yet to do that. My EMS Mercury jacket with "Primaloft One" has served me well, pretty cheap on sale, I thinks it's 1 lb 5 oz has pit zips...It's my go to garmet each and every day....good luck with your purchase...I think you'll like that. Hmm, can't seem to find mine on there web site just now.

I bought a couple of down shells in December but on my Pinhoti Trail hike when there was an extended period of heavy (record setting) rain my down absorbed a lot of moisture. Had it got really cold I would have been uncomfortable.

I really need something a bit warmer than my Marmot Baffin, but not as warm as my Montbell Alpine light.

I believe my Marmot uses 60 gm. Primaloft Sport insulation.

Please keep us up to date on how it works out for you.

Will do... This jacket has 100 gm of Primaloft. It's a perfect fit between my Thermawrap and a heavier down shell.

bigcranky
02-22-2013, 09:30
I had a Micropuff pullover for a while. It was just under a pound, fit well, and was nicely made. I've had several Patagonia pieces, all bought on good sales :) and every one of them was put together very well. I finally sold the Micropuff along with another Patagonia down pullover to buy a Western Mountaineering jacket.

scudder
02-22-2013, 09:43
how does this do compared to golite Roan ?

Ewker
02-22-2013, 09:53
how does this do compared to golite Roan ?

The Roan without a hood weighs 1lb 2 ozs, The Roan with a hood weighs 1 lb 4 ozs and both are 800 fill. Not sure which size that weigh is for though

rocketsocks
02-22-2013, 09:57
I bought a couple of down shells in December but on my Pinhoti Trail hike when there was an extended period of heavy (record setting) rain my down absorbed a lot of moisture. Had it got really cold I would have been uncomfortable.

And possible in big trouble, I'd hate too have to cut holes in the bottom and sides of my sleeping bag for head and arms, and have to wear it to bail out to warmer safer hollers. But ya do do what ya gotta do!

10-K
02-22-2013, 10:04
The Roan without a hood weighs 1lb 2 ozs, The Roan with a hood weighs 1 lb 4 ozs and both are 800 fill. Not sure which size that weigh is for though

I bought the Roan Plateau with hood in December on sale. I just weighed it - 1 lb, 6.4 oz. for size XL. So, it's just a few oz heavier than the Micropuff and definitely a lot warmer than the Micropuff.

The Micropuff will pack smaller and won't lose it's insulating ability in damper weather and you could conceivably wear it hiking if it was really-really cold. I don't think I'd even try to hike wearing a down parka. :)

The Cleaner
02-22-2013, 10:10
I've had the Nano pullover for about a year now and wearing it over an Icebreaker lightweight wool baselayer keeps me warm around camp to about 25*.The pullover weighs a few ounces less.I think it is well made and great to have.I got mine from an E-bay sale for less than 90$.....

wornoutboots
02-22-2013, 10:30
I have one of these, Marmot Zues & I love it!! I normally Always hike in shorts & a light top with my rain shell even if it's below freezing, (my shell buttons & snaps so depending on the bite of the air, I'll either zip it to trap more heat or snap it to release excess heat) as soon as I get to camp, I throw my Zues it on immediately & the warmth my body continues to radiate is trapped by this jacket is wonderfully rewarding. This jacket also folds down into its on pocket & zips up so it takes up very little space in my pack. The only downfall is that the exterior of these jackets are not water proof so you'll have to put the shell on over top of it if raining, sleeting or snowing.
http://www.campmor.com/marmot-mens-zeus-jacket.shtml?source=CI&ci_sku=76358GAGXXL&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Marta
02-22-2013, 10:37
I've had a Nanopuff pullover vest for years. Very nice.

Beware--Patagucci is addictive. As I sit here in the house before getting dressed for work, I'm wearing some Patagonia expedition weight tights that I bought in 1993 and have worn many thousands of times. I'm also wearing my newer R3 jacket. (The house thermostat is set at 58.) A lot of other brands have cheaped out, but as far as I can tell, Patagonia hasn't. We still have all the stuff we bought in '93 when we outfitted ourselves for the move to Russia. The only things that have worn out are the gloves.