PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Hose Freezing - Ideas?

FatHead64
02-22-2013, 10:13
So, hiking in Michigan in the winter - my hydration bladder hose wants to freeze. Not a huge surprise, but annoying. So far, the best I have figured out is to just drink from it regularly which is probably good discipline anyway. But any good hints on a better way - a "hose snuggie" or something?

10-K
02-22-2013, 10:16
The "best" solution is not to use a bladder in below freezing temps. I'm not sure there's really an effective way to stop it from freezing other than to babysit it to keep it unfrozen.

FatHead64
02-22-2013, 10:21
Yeah - I thought you might say that....

FarmerChef
02-22-2013, 10:27
Yup. That's been my experience too. That hose just doesn't have enough insulation to keep it from freezing up. Some creative ideas I've heard or read on here include wrapping the hose in some form of insulation (I'm thinking hot water pipe insulation from HD or similar). The insulation would probably have to be zip tied or something to compress it small enough to fit through the hydration port on your pack. Further, the bite valve is the tricky one for me. Aside from holding it in your mouth or tucking it in against your body, I don't know how else to keep that from freezing up. Then you can have all the liquid water behind but can't get it out :(

MDSection12
02-22-2013, 10:37
Blow the water back into the bladder after each sip.... It's a pain, but it works.

FatHead64
02-22-2013, 10:44
Blow the water back into the bladder after each sip.... It's a pain, but it works.

I thought of that, but felt that the remnants (dregs?) in the hose would be even more likely to freeze. Is that not a problem?

Scott

rhjanes
02-22-2013, 10:47
blow it back. First suck and you will get some ice, which was crystals frozen in the tube. keep the water bladder next to you.
Or just use gatorade bottles.

Tennessee Viking
02-22-2013, 10:51
Go to Lowes Walmart or Home Depot and get water pipe insulation.

MDSection12
02-22-2013, 10:59
I thought of that, but felt that the remnants (dregs?) in the hose would be even more likely to freeze. Is that not a problem?

Scott
It does freeze, but it's not enough to block the hose.

FatHead64
02-22-2013, 11:01
OK - cool - thanks - got some ideas now.

Wise Old Owl
02-22-2013, 11:04
They make bladders that are insulated for skiers... they fit inside your back pack they have a neoprene jacket on the tube.

http://www.airsoftpark.com/images/2.5L%20Hydration%20Water%20Bladder%20Pouch%20Reser voir.JPG

FatHead64
02-22-2013, 11:09
They make bladders that are insulated for skiers... they fit inside your back pack they have a neoprene jacket on the tube.

http://www.airsoftpark.com/images/2.5L%20Hydration%20Water%20Bladder%20Pouch%20Reser voir.JPG

Yeah, but I might require dental work after using that bite valve...:rolleyes:

Seriously, I might have to look around for that - probably save it for next season at this point. Thanks WOO

Starchild
02-22-2013, 11:12
I have not been a bladder fan for quite a while but did start out as one.

Start with hot water, usually pleasant when you sip, you get cold then hot (sometimes i have spit out the cold, other times I have stopped before the hot, depending on what I want). Hot water also serves to more quickly break up a minor ice jam if some water can get through, and allows one to place the entire tube with the bladder to speed melting.

I have found that the first place that freezes is the valve, so sometimes I have popped that off and drank from the tube, I have also placed the valve in my mouth to allow it to thaw.

Blowing back also helps, and as you mentioned drink regularly and a hose cozy. Perhaps a timer could be used to pace the drinking times as I have found it is too easy to forget and go too long and have it freeze.

I have wondered about the effect of adding either sugar, salt or alcohol(or combinations) to the bladder water to lower the freezing point and soften the freeze. Though with the exception of salt in small amounts, it does seem to introduce other issues.

MDSection12
02-22-2013, 11:13
Camelbak also makes a neoprene cover for their hoses... I just haven't bothered.

FarmerChef
02-22-2013, 11:17
I have wondered about the effect of adding either sugar, salt or alcohol(or combinations) to the bladder water to lower the freezing point and soften the freeze. Though with the exception of salt in small amounts, it does seem to introduce other issues.

Hmm - that's a good point, Starchild. I wonder what adding Gatorade or another electrolyte mix with salt and sugar would do to help lower the freezing point, especially if you heat it up first to help speed mixing. I feel an experiment coming on.... :D

Kerosene
02-22-2013, 12:03
There are hoses with bite valves that are insulated (http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13220144&mr:trackingCode=5D1D4A4D-2D6B-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:filter=24486676791&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=31379965311&mr:match=&mr:keyword=&{copy:iq_id}=&{copy:camp}=) from the cold down to about 20 degrees. It worked like a champ the one time I wore it while skiing.

Slosteppin
02-22-2013, 13:36
I'm a little farther north than you are, about 10 miles from Grand Traverse Bay and 20 miles from Sleeping Bear Dunes. I'm out three or four times a week skiing or snowshoeing. I use a Platypus in a day pack.
I do two things; after I get a drink I blow the water in the hose back into the bladder, then after I drink and blow the water back I put the bite valve inside my jacket. Body warmth keeps the valve from freezing. Even if I forget to put the bite valve back inside my jacket and it does freeze it will thaw again after 10 minutes inside my jacket.
I've been doing this for over 10 years.

rocketsocks
02-22-2013, 13:54
And if you really want to get slick on ol' mister winter, you could buy some battery electric socks and rap them on there, but you'd have to be a real tech weenie for that....not that there's anything wrong with being a tech weenie, hehe

might even get warm enough to steep a bag of tea.

Coffee
02-22-2013, 13:56
I have the Camelback product made for skiers. It has never frozen up on me, including the time I was skiing in ridiculously low temps at Lake Louise. I suggest giving it a try. (I always take at least a sip every 5-10 minutes if it is well below freezing).

FatHead64
02-22-2013, 14:13
And if you really want to get slick on ol' mister winter, you could buy some battery electric socks and rap them on there, but you'd have to be a real tech weenie for that....not that there's anything wrong with being a tech weenie, hehe

might even get warm enough to steep a bag of tea.

I see how you are! :rolleyes: Not that I am admitting to anything, but look at the sign by my desk at work. And yes, that is WhiteBlaze on my monitor...

HikerMom58
02-22-2013, 14:19
i see how you are! :rolleyes: Not that i am admitting to anything, but look at the sign by my desk at work. And yes, that is whiteblaze on my monitor...

.....................:d.........................

rocketsocks
02-22-2013, 14:42
I see how you are! :rolleyes: Not that I am admitting to anything, but look at the sign by my desk at work. And yes, that is WhiteBlaze on my monitor...

And we both drink water all day long, I'm on my 4th 16 oz...gotta pee now, bye

Alligator
02-22-2013, 14:52
I mix one part boiling water to about 2 parts cold water in the morning. Bladder goes into an insulated sleeve (old blue foam pad works). Hose is insulated, blow air back into the hose. I treat with Polar Pur in the winter.

Carry-On
02-22-2013, 18:01

That's what I did, along with wrapping the hose in a garbage bag to insulate it.

10-K
02-22-2013, 18:29
Anti-freeze works too and I hear it tastes like kool-aid. :)

4Bears
02-22-2013, 19:05
Was going to use this one, but you beat me to it, so now I use comment #2, a few ounces of a good 80-90 proof Burbon will work as well. Of course it won't keep you warm, but that wasn't the issue here. lol

Maybe one day
02-22-2013, 19:56
I use a hydration bladder while skiing. I have tried the neoprene covers and such but I am not a fan of them. Best way I have found is to keep the bladder and hose beneath my jacket. Body heat works great at preventing freeze-up

FatHead64
02-22-2013, 21:19

I tried that once - things just never looked the same...

Bucho
02-23-2013, 22:01
You could try one of those insulation hoses but the solution that will actually work is to add a shot of hard alcohol to your water.

Violent Green
02-23-2013, 22:52

Ding ding ding - we have a winner. This works great. I don't use a bladder, but I do use 20oz water bottles with Hammer Endurolyte Fizz tabs or a smidge of Morton's Lite salt. The sodium in either will keep the water from freezing down to at least the upper teens, plus replenish your electrolytes.

Ryan

FatHead64
02-23-2013, 23:25
I tried the blowback today and it seemed to work pretty well for me - of course it was upper 20s.

hikerboy57
02-23-2013, 23:36
it most definitely didnt.

Wise Old Owl
02-24-2013, 00:15
OH wow .... nevermind... where's the wheelchair....

ChinookFE
02-24-2013, 05:51
Might be a little uncomfortable, but what about tucking the hose down in your jacket when your not using it? Keep it close to your body heat.

Mrs Baggins
02-24-2013, 09:39
For $3 I solved the problem with mine. Bought a package of black weather stripping, 1/2" wide, sticky back, and wound it around the hose. No more freezing.

JAK
02-24-2013, 18:59
I just try and shake it a few times before I tuck it back inside, plus a little extra insulation in that area.

FatHead64
02-24-2013, 19:13
I can see I need to think my thread titles through a bit more. At least you guys don't know anyone I work with!