PDA

View Full Version : Goretex knee high over socks

moof53
02-22-2013, 12:00
Been following WB for a while as I was going to try a thru this year. Life being what it is it sometimes changes ones plan so this year had to be postponed. However, there are often questions here about keeping the feet as dry as possible while hiking or stream crossing with everything from Rocky brand over socks to plastic bags for stream crossing to just not bothering and letting the feet get wet.

I hike out west here and have used Rocky Gore-tex in the past and they are OK but I never found them quite comfortable so most time I just hike on through the water with my boots (Lowa) and keep on going. However, I just found that Arcteryx Leaf (the military version of Arcteryx gear) has introduced this year a gore-tex over sock that is also a gator. The concept seemed pretty good and though I haven't tried these I do have several items of Arcteryx gear which I find very well built and useful. They have both male and female versions with the female prcing at about $135 and the male pricing at about $165. My only "gripe" about them (without having tried them) would be you can only get the male version in Camo while the female version comes in Crocodile. Haven't been into camo since leaving the military a while back but what are you going to do? You can google "arcteryx leaf) and you should have no problem finding the site. Up on the left hand side is a link for new gear 2013. Scroll down and you can take a look. There is also a video that shows them in the field. I am not a part of Arcteryx or any other manufacturer. I just like their stuff and thought I would throw out another option for those that might be researching gear.

Good luck to the 2013 class. I am very envious!

Prime Time
02-22-2013, 12:08
I'm a Dirty Girl guy. Simple spandex gaiters that cost 20 bucks and keep out dirt, dust and pebbles. Come in hundreds of colors and designs.

Anything that keeps moisture out also keeps it in. Splash through the stream and just keep on trucking. After 5 miles you'll forget you even did it.

jos2thehua
02-22-2013, 12:58
I love Arc'teryx gear also! The Atom LT is my go to 4 season jacket down here in the south. I actually had no idea they had a specialized military brand. That's a pretty neat find! However, unless you plan on doing stream crossings in high frequencies or plan to wade through swamps for consecutive hours I don't see the justification in the price. Might as well just get some cheap rubber boots or simple spandex gaiters as Prime mentioned.

The Mattock drysocks are really cool though! Don't get me wrong on that!