PDA

View Full Version : Self-defense Training (Split from Danger on the AT?)

Rhanis
02-22-2013, 12:04
I wasn't really going to comment on this, but my parents are concerned about me, and they want me to take a self-defense class. I'm not sure how much I'd be able to get out of one since I'm leaving in less than five weeks, but also, I really prefer to think of myself as a bad-a_ _ who has two brothers and played hockey for seven years, and could totally take someone trying to hurt me. But I was wondering what people think. I'm a girl, I'm 23, I'm hiking alone, I'm from Vermont, spent a ton of time in NH and Maine, and am really trusting, I hate locking the car, and never do it unless there's a computer in there or something, but I've hitch-hiked in Alaska, and ME, I've ridden the subway in Paris, New York, and Washington DC in the dead of night. I have prejudices about cities, and the south, wish I didn't, but I feel WAY safer in northern New England, hell, even BOSTON, than I do elsewhere, and there's probably a reason for that, but who am I to judge?

I've told my parents that I'm going to try really hard not to hitchhike alone south of Mass, and just be smart about things. Don't tell someone who gives you bad vibes every detail of my life, and just trust that there will be enough people out there that safety in numbers is a real viable defense. But what do you guys think, could I get as much out of reading that book "Trail Safe," as I could out of a self-defense class? I'm not scared, but my parents are. Oddly enough, they're more frightened now, than they were when I spent a semester in DC, and I was freaking out about how unsafe it was, and they told me, essentially, 'it's fine sweetie, it's not that big of a deal, don't worry,' which I'm not sure how to interpret. I think it could be just a symptom of their getting a bit older.. I don't know exactly how to deal with it. I'm glad that they're concerned about me, and I want them to freak if I don't check in when I said I would, but their nervousness is starting to make me nervous. There was talk of me carrying one of those plastic "safety kitties," which wouldn't add weight, and could be carried on the outside of my pack, easily accessable, but I just don't want to have a constant reminder that "I should be afraid of strangers," it goes against my nature.

So I guess what I'm asking is if there's anyway to get my parents to calm down a bit? I don't want them having nightmares, and I do want them to stop asking me about a self-defense class, should I just accept defeat on this one and see if I can find one to take? I'll probably get that book anyway, because it sounds like there's a good bit of useful information there. Thanks guys.

BrianLe
02-22-2013, 12:25
To ease your parents fears, get a small personal mace sprayer and promise to keep it handy. Early on you're likely to connect with one or more other people to hike with; I suggest that as soon as you can you describe this/these person(s) to your parents, give them the sense that you're now part of a mutual protection posse. I think that's likely to ease their feelings a bit. Then bring a cell phone and touch base a lot in the early days at least.
Before I thru-hiked, the idea of one of my daughters doing so alone would have been more than just uncomfortable. Having seen trail culture in action changed my view on this a lot, so any way in which you can convey that could help, to include perhaps getting your parents out and hiking some (?).

rickb
02-22-2013, 12:41
I've told my parents that I'm going to try really hard not to hitchhike alone south of Mass, and just be smart about things. Don't tell someone who gives you bad vibes every detail of my life, and just trust that there will be enough people out there that safety in numbers is a real viable defense. But what do you guys think, could I get as much out of reading that book "Trail Safe,"

So I guess what I'm asking is if there's anyway to get my parents to calm down a bit? I don't want them having nightmares, and I do want them to stop asking me about a self-defense class, should I just accept defeat on this one and see if I can find one to take? I'll probably get that book anyway, because it sounds like there's a good bit of useful information there. Thanks guys.

I think you are spot on about the safety in numbers thing.

Starting in a month and going NOBO gives you that.

It's a very different Trail other times of year.

KingGator and Sons
02-22-2013, 15:18
I wasn't really going to comment on this, but my parents are concerned about me, and they want me to take a self-defense class. I'm not sure how much I'd be able to get out of one since I'm leaving in less than five weeks, but also, I really prefer to think of myself as a bad-a_ _ who has two brothers and played hockey for seven years, and could totally take someone trying to hurt me. But I was wondering what people think. I'm a girl, I'm 23, I'm hiking alone, I'm from Vermont, spent a ton of time in NH and Maine, and am really trusting, I hate locking the car, and never do it unless there's a computer in there or something, but I've hitch-hiked in Alaska, and ME, I've ridden the subway in Paris, New York, and Washington DC in the dead of night. I have prejudices about cities, and the south, wish I didn't, but I feel WAY safer in northern New England, hell, even BOSTON, than I do elsewhere, and there's probably a reason for that, but who am I to judge?

I've told my parents that I'm going to try really hard not to hitchhike alone south of Mass, and just be smart about things. Don't tell someone who gives you bad vibes every detail of my life, and just trust that there will be enough people out there that safety in numbers is a real viable defense. But what do you guys think, could I get as much out of reading that book "Trail Safe," as I could out of a self-defense class? I'm not scared, but my parents are. Oddly enough, they're more frightened now, than they were when I spent a semester in DC, and I was freaking out about how unsafe it was, and they told me, essentially, 'it's fine sweetie, it's not that big of a deal, don't worry,' which I'm not sure how to interpret. I think it could be just a symptom of their getting a bit older.. I don't know exactly how to deal with it. I'm glad that they're concerned about me, and I want them to freak if I don't check in when I said I would, but their nervousness is starting to make me nervous. There was talk of me carrying one of those plastic "safety kitties," which wouldn't add weight, and could be carried on the outside of my pack, easily accessable, but I just don't want to have a constant reminder that "I should be afraid of strangers," it goes against my nature.

Believe it or not, you can learn a few solid moves in five weeks. I do think that you may be naive however due to your upbringing. You may trust people too much. I am not saying that there are not some good people out there, but at the same time, most people are atleast self-centered. Even if people will not want to rape you or kill you, that does not mean that they still do not want to take advantage of you or hustle you. BTW: No book can teach you how to defend yourself. I think hikers can tell you how to be safe on the trail, but something tells me that your issue is bigger than that. I do not mean to be a fear mongerer at all, but the truth is that I think out of every 5 people in life, atleast 2-3 will try to get over on you...Hell, maybe 4. Be smart and do not trust ANYONE that you meet 100%. Plenty guys are gonna try to "hook up". Plenty are gonna ask questions about your life. You have to realize that when you turn them down (assuming you will), they might get offended and the plot thickens. People can't know your naive or they are gonna also try to get your $$$. I believe these people when they say the trail is safe, but bad people exist EVERYWHERE...even the magical trail.

rocketsocks
02-22-2013, 15:25

So I guess what I'm asking is if there's anyway to get my parents to calm down a bit? I don't want them having nightmares, and I do want them to stop asking me about a self-defense class, should I just accept defeat on this one and see if I can find one to take? I'll probably get that book anyway, because it sounds like there's a good bit of useful information there. Thanks guys.Take a class...sure sounds like fun, they are fun and you'll like it...couldn't hurt, and it may calm them down and in turn put your mind back in balance. have a great hike. oh and get the book...couldn't hurt either.

Prime Time
02-22-2013, 15:53
Take a class...sure sounds like fun, they are fun and you'll like it...couldn't hurt, and it may calm them down and in turn put your mind back in balance. have a great hike. oh and get the book...couldn't hurt either.
Ya, all that. But the biggest thing is to be trail smart. Stay on everyones good side and be part of the group. A week ahead of you and a week behind you is a smaller community with a better grapevine than you can imagine. They'll help watch your back. When you are in towns or close to them is when the danger of anything bad happening is at the highest so guard your valuables closely, NEVER leave your pack unattended, and stay with people you know as much as you can. By the way you really need to drop the whole "it's safer north of Massachusetts than south of it thing". First of all, I strongly doubt it's true. Secondly, even i fit were, if you voice that opinion you will set off some kind of civil war and really alienate yourself from anyone south of MA. Then you really could have problems.

Lastly call Mom whenever you can, but not every night! Once you do that and for some reason can't call her one night, if she's like my mom was she'll assume your dead or worse because you didn't call. Enjoy your hike!

Alligator
02-22-2013, 16:01

So I guess what I'm asking is if there's anyway to get my parents to calm down a bit? I don't want them having nightmares, and I do want them to stop asking me about a self-defense class, should I just accept defeat on this one and see if I can find one to take? I'll probably get that book anyway, because it sounds like there's a good bit of useful information there. Thanks guys.I recently helped out in a women's self-defense class, acting in the role of assailant aka as the target. You would learn some basic techniques that would help you to possibly get away. In the woods however this might not help as much as you are still somewhat far from help. If you can run fast, the techniques could help or they might provide you the time needed to grab a weapon if you have one.

Slo-go'en
02-22-2013, 18:20
According to one web site I looked at while researching murders on the AT, they claimed that an average of three rapes a year are reported to the ATC, so that could be a concern. I have not been able to verify that though and wonder if they actually occur on the trail deep into the woods. I would think it would be most likely to occur in town or near a road where the perp has a chance of getting away quickly.

Alligator
02-22-2013, 18:59
According to one web site I looked at while researching murders on the AT, they claimed that an average of three rapes a year are reported to the ATC, so that could be a concern. I have not been able to verify that though and wonder if they actually occur on the trail deep into the woods. I would think it would be most likely to occur in town or near a road where the perp has a chance of getting away quickly.I think we read the same article but the numbers were reversed, 1 rape every 3 years. Here's (http://www.southeasternoutdoors.com/outdoors/shooting/crime/appalachian-trail-murders.html) the one I read.

bigcranky
02-22-2013, 19:08
Wow, DC is way more dangerous than the AT. And I'm much less likely to want to hitch in N.E. with all them scary taciturn Yankees.... They never *say* anything, so I have to make up all sorts of things about what they're thinking. :)

The Trail will completely meet your expectations. If you expect peaceful and friendly people, that's who you'll find. If you expect dangerous rednecks, then they'll be everywhere. Kinda like life in general, actually.

Rhanis
02-22-2013, 19:29
By the way you really need to drop the whole "it's safer north of Massachusetts than south of it thing". First of all, I strongly doubt it's true. Secondly, even i fit were, if you voice that opinion you will set off some kind of civil war and really alienate yourself from anyone south of MA. Then you really could have problems

Duly noted, and appreciated :) It's not true, it's just my comfort zone, because it's close to home, and I'll try my very best to not tick off someone because they are comfortable where I am not.

Thanks for the imput, and I actually found this Rape Aggressive Defense System course nearby (RAD), which is a fairly short (12 hr) course, for women and covers basic self-defense, and it's FREE, in other words, I can get something out of it, to put a lot of minds at ease. It's also an international organization, so other women looking for something along these lines (a basic self-defense course), can probably find one in their area. (Sorry men, you're on your own)

JAK
02-22-2013, 19:56
I could be speaking out of turn here because I know JAK squat about martial arts, but I would say don't be afraid to figure out some of it on your own. You can learn to run and walk on your own. You can learn to ski, both kinds, and paddle canoes and kayaks, and even to sail on your own, so why not martial arts. Also I have been told you need to learn some basic martial arts before advanced stuff like how to defend yourself with a stick. I understand what I think they are saying, but if you are carrying a hiking stick anyway, it might as well be a strong one, and maybe practice a little bit of this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNalrx2YUM

JAK
02-22-2013, 20:01
Also, when hiking and hitch-hiking, don't forget your hatchet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQTvuP1Dgs

Slosteppin
02-23-2013, 22:44
I think any self defense training is good - until a person gets enough training to be overconfident. Trail Safe is a good book to read. I think there is some good advice in it. The best thing I read in the book was to be aware of the situation. IMO, the most dangerous part of any hike is the drive to the trail head.

Most people feel that the environment they are most familiar with is safe. Perhaps your parents are more familiar with big cities... A long trail through the woods is a strange place to them - therefore dangerous. Post in the women's forum and ask how many have hiked the AT with no problems.

Wise Old Owl
02-23-2013, 22:49
I think it's a great motivator to join a YMCA Judo or Karate course, will build confidence.. it's their idea - what would be the harm? I did it at 17 -18 - or do Alligator's suggestion.

rocketsocks
02-24-2013, 00:41
Also, when hiking and hitch-hiking, don't forget your hatchet...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDQTvuP1DgsOh, that is hilarious...I saw the origianal interview....that;s crazy azz funny!..the dudes's a rock star

Coosa
03-05-2013, 21:17
STUN GUN

And wear a Neck Knife [use a toggle and not a knot to secure it].

Coosa

Coosa
03-05-2013, 21:21
STUN GUN

And wear a Neck Knife [use a toggle and not a knot to secure it].

Coosa

REMEMBER ... Even Gary Michael Hilton (http://crime.about.com/b/2008/03/24/meredith-emerson-fought-hard-to-survive.htm) admitted that if Meredith Emerson had had a weapon and not tried to rely on her Martial Arts skills [she almost overpowered him], she'd be alive today.

Donde
03-05-2013, 21:26
While training and exercise are always good things, the most essential thing for being safe on the AT (both from nature and humans) is situational awareness. Stay alert and trust your gut, don't linger around if you feel uncofortable. Also tell your 'rents it is time to cut the cord, you're 23 for crying out loud. Hell by the time I was 23 I had just gotten out of the......... I am too damn young to be sounding this much like LW already *sigh*

Donde
03-05-2013, 21:32
oh though when all else fails it is worth noting "everything can be killed with a tomahawk!" http://youtube.com/watch?v=jfdY0NMDqYQ

Drybones
03-05-2013, 22:36
I would recommend the self defense class, it may be something you want to continue when you get back from the trail. Five weeks isn't enough time to develop motor reflexs but you would be able to learn some simple techniques that would be good to know...can't hurt.

Old Hiker
03-06-2013, 08:44
While training and exercise are always good things, the most essential thing for being safe on the AT (both from nature and humans) is situational awareness. Stay alert and trust your gut, don't linger around if you feel uncofortable. Also tell your 'rents it is time to cut the cord, you're 23 for crying out loud. Hell by the time I was 23 I had just gotten out of the......... I am too damn young to be sounding this much like LW already *sigh*

At least you are not saying: "Get off'n my lawn, ya young whippersnappers! Dag-nab it!"

beachbunny
03-06-2013, 10:14
heck, if they're gonna pay for it, please just do it and you will learn something that just might help

TheYoungOne
03-11-2013, 13:51
Like others have said, if the parents want to pay for it, and it will make them feel better, why not. Like Dry Bones said, you are not going to be a black belt ninja with just a few classes, but they will probably teach you some basic tricks that might get out of a sticky situation. Its always good to learn new things, and most Self Defense classes are fun.

Also something I always say to any AT hiker worried about personal safety, its legal all along the trail to pocket carry pepper spray and/or a simple, non spring assisted opening, folding knife with a blade under 3" in length.