PDA

View Full Version : Trail head/parking near Lexington, VA?

slbirdnerd
02-22-2013, 16:04
Does anyone know if there is AT access with parking near Lexington, Virginia? (Near I-64/I-81, the south part of where they join.) Passing through unexpectedly this weekend and wouldn't mind putting our feet on the trail for a bit. Thanks!

Mobius
02-22-2013, 16:19
There's some parking at a small pull off along route 60 at Long Mountain Wayside. That looks like a straight shot from Lexington.

You could also go up Wiggins Spring Road (route 60 -> Coffeytown Rd -> Wiggins Spring road) and up the mountain and park up there near Mt. Pleasant/Cole Mountain right where the AT crosses through. I've done that drive in my Toyota Corolla and it's been doable but could be dicey depending on how much washout there is. I don't know the current conditions on Wiggins Road.

I've hiked the Mount Pleasant loop (non-AT) a half dozen times and enjoyed it. Oddly I haven't done the Cole Mountain Loop (half AT) but hear it's very nice.

Mobius
02-22-2013, 16:31
And to double post...

You're also pretty close to the Spy Rock (parking at the Fish Hatchery), the Priest and the Three Ridges (IIRC a small parking area on 56 for a couple cars), just up the road on 56 near Montebello. The Crabtree Falls hike is right there too. I've parked at the base of the falls ($3 fee, dozens of spots to park) and headed up to the AT (maybe.. 2-3 miles?) then hit the Priest and Spy Rock before heading back down along the falls.

slbirdnerd
02-22-2013, 17:14
Found the Cole Mountain Loop map, looks perfect if the road is passable. We have an SUV/awd. Thanks, Mobius!

jimmyjam
02-22-2013, 17:42
+1 for Spy Rock. Fantastic 360 view. The trail is fairly steep up from the hatchery, but worth it.

slbirdnerd
02-27-2013, 10:24
Hey, Mobius, thanks you so much for the info! We had a very nice, albeit very short due to time constraints, hike on Cold Mountain.

Mobius
02-27-2013, 11:26
So glad that worked out. Nice photo! How was Wiggins road? Will my Corolla make it up this year?

slbirdnerd
02-27-2013, 13:18
It really wasn't bad but then I have an overactive sense of determination. ;) No, it was fine, muddy and some slushy show toward the top. There was one spot with some wash out and a place with a down tree that had been removed. There is a pull off on the left before you get tho the trail head (can't say how far but not a long walk), two regular cars were there and you could tell by the footprints in the snow they had walked up. From there down it was totally fine. There is a house for sale where Wiggins Spring Rd. meets Coffeytown. If only...

vanwag
04-30-2013, 09:29
Hey, Mobius, thanks you so much for the info! We had a very nice, albeit very short due to time constraints, hike on Cold Mountain.

Hey, I took that same picture several years ago!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/7/0/2/5/2007_Sept19AT_VA053V3_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=18843)

slbirdnerd
04-30-2013, 10:54
It's a heck of a view. I'm ready to go back!