PDA

View Full Version : Realistic goal

TSWisla
02-23-2013, 01:33
Hello!

What is a realistic goal for miles per day starting out from Springer Mtn? This will be my first section hike and I need to plan where to park! Thank you.

kayak karl
02-23-2013, 07:41
not knowing anything about you, i would say between 7-18 per day.

bert304
02-23-2013, 09:31
I would say to start by making your goal the next shelter and see how long it takes you to get there. If you get there early enough go try to go to the next shelter.

Colter
02-23-2013, 09:54
10 miles is probably reasonable and achievable if you're healthy, and it certainly isn't difficult to take longer breaks, enjoy views, get late starts or stop for the day early if it turns out you could be doing bigger miles.

DeerPath
02-23-2013, 09:58
i would say to start by making your goal the next shelter and see how long it takes you to get there. If you get there early enough go try to go to the next shelter.

ditto........

Ender
02-23-2013, 09:58
4-12 miles a day at first is probably pretty average, depending on the day, and on you. My advice is to take it slow at first... get your body used to hiking, enjoy the woods. Plenty of time to crank up the mileage later.

Pedaling Fool
02-23-2013, 10:03
Hello!

What is a realistic goal for miles per day starting out from Springer Mtn? This will be my first section hike and I need to plan where to park! Thank you.Not knowing anything about you, that's a pretty open question. However, this will give you a real good idea http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php?44

A side note. One thing I've noticed, not just in hiking, but in nearly everything. Almost no one really gets averages, when asked they typically zone in on extremes and use them as examples, but of course the extreme they use depends on their bias. That's why the above link is so useful, it's just the facts, no biases.

Stir Fry
02-23-2013, 10:16
They did a prity good job spacing the shelters in the early part of the trail to match the ability of most new hikers. If you plan Shelter to Shelter you can adjust later. I find its easter to finish a section hike ahead of time the be running behind becouse I over estimated my milage.

moldy
02-23-2013, 10:49
I would prefer to park at the destination. So if this is a 3 day hike then leave your car at Neel's Gap. 14 day hike park at Fontana Dam, then shuttle back to Springer. Now if you want to park at Springer there are 2 good places. If you want to hike the approach trail then park in the state park parking lot at the bottom. If you want to skip the approach trail then park on Forrest Service Rd #42 at the top in the parking lot. If you are in reasoble shape and don't carry more than 30 pounds even with no hiking experience you should do 10 or more miles per day in decent weather and good motivation. An experienced hiker in great shape with an 18 pound pack can make 20 or more miles per day.

TSWisla
02-23-2013, 11:53
Thank you for all of the replies. I am in fairly good shape, I have hiked many trails, but I have never carried a backpack. I am parking in or near Franklin, NC and am getting a ride to Springer (I plan on hiking the approach as well). I have given myself 6 days to get there. I think that is reasonable, but again, I have never done this before. Is it absolutely necessary to camp at a shelter? Is it safer?

Stir Fry
02-23-2013, 12:27
Not realy safer, but that tends to be where the water is. Half the trail for me is the people, and they tend to be arround the shelter. Some days I stop at shelter have dinner fill water and hike another mile or two befor I camp. Still injoy the people though.

map man
02-23-2013, 12:37
If you hike for six days and include the approach trail you will have to cover 19-20 miles per day to get to Franklin. You would be an unusual hiker if you were able to cover those miles on your first backpacking trip. It's not impossible, but it is unlikely.

Stir Fry
02-23-2013, 12:38
Just loked at guide book. Hwy 64 Winding Stair Gap is 109.8 miles add 8 for approach trail 117.8. Can it be done, Oh ya it can. I would recomend a bail out plan. Most new AT hikes underestamat the dificulty of hiking in the mountains. At the start of the trail a 10 mile day is good for most. Ill do 10 miles arround my house in about 3.5 to 4 hours. So I thought 20 mile days were no problem. First time I did Springer to Neel gap I planned 2 days, it took 4 days. All I'm saing is do not underestamate the AT it will kick your but, and laugh at you.

yellowsirocco
02-23-2013, 12:46
I would aim for Dick's Creek Gap for 6 days.

Plan for where to sleep.
1: Hawk Mtn
2: Gooch Mtn
3: Woods Hole
4: Low Gap
5: Cheese Factory campsite
6 Holliday Inn Express in Hiawassee

max patch
02-23-2013, 12:54
First hike? Here is what I would do.

Six days and doing the approach? The farthest destination you should consider is Unicoi Gap. Franklin is unreasonable. Heres my suggestion:

The approach trail generally takes a day. Most hikers take 3 days to get to Neels Gap, where you might want to spend the nite in the hostel for the experience and the hot shower. That gets you thru 4 days. The next day hike to Tesnatee Gap where you have parked your car. Thats day 5. There are good campsites just before and after Tesnatee or continue on to the nearby Hogpen Gap Shelter. Day 6 is an out and back hike. If you reach Tesnatee early on day 5 then continue on to the Low Gap Shelter and then backtrack to your car on day 6.

If you are able to do some weekend trips beforehand you will have a sense as to what is a good day mileage wise for you.

Ignore the posters who will tell you that 20 miles a day right outta the gate is no problem. Thats the Whiteblaze Testosterone (phrase coined by FatMan who lives near Woody Gap) kicking in.

max patch
02-23-2013, 13:01
I would aim for Dick's Creek Gap for 6 days.

Plan for where to sleep.
1: Hawk Mtn
2: Gooch Mtn
3: Woods Hole
4: Low Gap
5: Cheese Factory campsite
6 Holliday Inn Express in Hiawassee

There is example 1 of Whiteblaze Testosterone.

Day 1, do your shuttle and then hike 16 miles. First day ever carrying a backpack. Ain't gonna happen.

yellowsirocco
02-23-2013, 13:06
There is example 1 of Whiteblaze Testosterone.

Day 1, do your shuttle and then hike 16 miles. First day ever carrying a backpack. Ain't gonna happen.
settle down, that was an assumption of starting at springer

TSWisla
02-23-2013, 13:46
That is what I was afraid of, but you really think that 15 or so miles a day is unreasonable?

max patch
02-23-2013, 14:19
That is what I was afraid of, but you really think that 15 or so miles a day is unreasonable?

15 miles per day is reasonable for some. Unreasonable for others. The problem we have is that this is your first backpacking trip, so no one - including yourself - knows what a comfortable day for you is.

not knowing anything about you, i would say between 7-18 per day.

That is actually a pretty good answer.

10 miles is probably reasonable and achievable if you're healthy, and it certainly isn't difficult to take longer breaks, enjoy views, get late starts or stop for the day early if it turns out you could be doing bigger miles.

I agree that 10 miles per day for a first trip is a reasonable target to shoot for.

i think there is a reason why day 1 for most (some don't make it, others go farther) thruhikers is Springer to Hawk Mtn. Its 8 of the easiest miles in GA.

TSWisla
02-23-2013, 14:53
Ok, you have given me many things to consider, thank you.

moldy
02-23-2013, 17:24
For the first few nights I would set up camp within shouting distance of a shelter. Perhaps a quarter of a mile. You will sleep better knowing that people are near by. This time of year there will be other campers doing likewise. You will find more and better firewood there and in case of dreadful weather you have a place nearby to seek shelter. It is also more fun to carry your stove and food down there to eat among humans. As a new guy you will learn stuff. You can get water there and use the bear cables.

TSWisla
02-23-2013, 20:24
Speaking of bears cables, I was going to get a bear canister, bad idea?

fredmugs
02-23-2013, 20:32
Thank you for all of the replies. I am in fairly good shape, I have hiked many trails, but I have never carried a backpack. I am parking in or near Franklin, NC and am getting a ride to Springer (I plan on hiking the approach as well). I have given myself 6 days to get there. I think that is reasonable, but again, I have never done this before. Is it absolutely necessary to camp at a shelter? Is it safer?

Carrying a full pack may slow you down by 0.5 mph or so. If you can slack 15 miles a day you can also do it with a full pack. Bear canister = bad idea. I carried one on the JMT and it's a lot of extra weight and bulk.

JAK
02-23-2013, 21:29
Very rough estimate = (lean body mass) / (total weight on feet including gear and food) x 15 miles per day

scope
02-23-2013, 22:41
I'll chime in on something others haven't brought up yet... time. Keep in mind that the AT is not flat, especially GA. Your body can only take so much time doing the up and down thing before you just gotta stop, especially if you're not used to it, and especially if you're not used to doing it with a real backpack. Average speed is about 2m/hr - might be 2.5m/hr on easy grades, 1.5m/hr on uphills and steep downhills. If you did an 8hr day with a 1hr break is 14m - think you're good for an 8hr day over several days? If you leave early, take it slow (or average) and are experienced enough with your evening routine to get your shxx together quickly before dark, then its very possible to do 14-16m without much AT experience. Chances are pretty good that you're about 75% of where you think you might be, or that's a decent place to start anyway... so 10-12m per day is a good number to place some expectation on, and then you can go up from there if really motivated to do so.

BTW, I carry a bear vault (smaller one) because I don't want to take the time at the end of the day to go through the whole hanging routine. And its a nice stool. Its a personal choice to do it and I can't fault those that say its too heavy, but frankly, I'm still under 20lbs total so I don't care.

The Cleaner
02-23-2013, 22:43
really...........

Malto
02-23-2013, 22:56
How about going out an doing a day hike prior to your trip and carry your full pack with average food weight? That will tell you much more than pure speculation based on almost no information.

leaftye
02-23-2013, 23:50
I would say to start by making your goal the next shelter and see how long it takes you to get there. If you get there early enough go try to go to the next shelter.

This is a good idea, but also realize that you're likely to slow down later in the day. While I may average up to 3 mph in the first half of a hiking day, I can slow down to 1 mph in the last couple of hours.