PDA

View Full Version : Second Skin

RedRunnerJumper
02-23-2013, 06:59
Is Second skin better than Moleskin? If so, is it worth purchasing? What store is it most common at to purchase?

tdoczi
02-23-2013, 09:53
Is Second skin better than Moleskin? If so, is it worth purchasing? What store is it most common at to purchase?
if i'm thinking of the right product called "second skim" it is completely different than moleskin. moleskin is a preventative, second skin is for after you already have a blister.

ChuckBrown
02-23-2013, 10:21
Spenco makes a number of products under the second skin brand, I think original second skin is a preventative, placed on a hotspot. The skin cannot be broken or blistered. Second skin works with a cooling property and does not stick to skin, where moleskin is just a padded cover for a hotspot to reduce, eliminate friction. I have used both and they are fine. With second skin you need an adhesive bandage to apply. they make a blister kit with everything you need for prevention.

Spenco makes a aqua heal bandage that is great for cuts and blisters.

The Gambler
02-23-2013, 10:47
second skin works on a hot spot and an open blister...i cover the second skin with duct tape....an army medic i met on the trail uses super glue and duct tape on a blister that hasn't popped....put a small hole in the side of the blister...squeeze the fluid out..insert super glue into the hole...cover with duct tape....wait 4 or 5 days...remove duct tape and blister is healed....i have not used this method but a fellow that was part of the conversation with said nobo medic had really bad blisters and was considering abandoning his sobo thru in the 100 mile lwilderness in maine....i ran into him again in gorham,nh and he was all smiles..said he tried the medics advice and it saved his thru

Praha4
02-23-2013, 11:28
Second skin are great, act something like a blister bandaid after a hot spot has formed, or early stage blister formed. It acts to protect the skin tissue while healing occurs. I usually apply some sports tape or 1st aid tape over it to help hold it in place, but it does have a type of adhesive on the back.

I don't use moleskin any more, it is designed to be applied to a hot spot or sensitive area to help protect that area from friction. Do not use moleskin on an existing blister, it will aggravate the skin. My experience with moleskin is it doesn't hold up well on long hikes, it does not do well when wet, the material begins to slip and slide on your feet. Some hikers prefer molefoam to moleskin.

My preference over moleskin is Leukotape sports tape, recommended by Andrew Skurka also. It's cheap, holds up much better than the regular white sports tape, and I just slap it on a hot spot before a blister forms, it always prevents the blister from forming. Plus you can use it for other sports tape applications, ankles, knees, etc.

http://www.familyotc.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=CD1930353&Click=5531&gdftrk=gdfV21400_a_7c650_a_7c4994_a_7cCD1930353

Slo-go'en
02-23-2013, 12:38
I've said it a million times, the best stuff to use is New Skin or other liquid bandage. It stings like all get out on an open wound, but it heals it quicker than anything else. I've never tried it to cover a hot spot, but it might work well for that too. Bandages simply do not stay in place for long or become another source of irritation.