PDA

View Full Version : Tent Choice,LightHeart Solo Standard Vs LightHeart SoLong 6 Standard, Pros and Cons

Kookork
02-23-2013, 14:46
I have narrowed down my search for my new light weight tent to either Lightheart Solo Standard Or Lightheart SoLong 6 standard. They are both great tents and I am still undecided about choosing one over the other.

Here is the pros and cons about them:

Solo Standard:

Pros:
Cheaper $245 Vs $298
Better stargazing mode
lighter : 27 Oz Vs 32 Oz
Relative Easier setup( not sure)

Cons:
No vent VS SoLong which has two vents
less usable space ( especially in the corners)
No Rain mode view ( in standard version)
Made in China ( SoLong is Made in USA)
One door Vs Two door in SoLong
Owning mode option for SoLong

Plus: Since I always hike with my dog( A Sheltie) I think Solong offers more options for us and in rare occasions it is a 2 person( tight) tent Vs Standard solo which is more like a 1+ tent. Both have a floor area of 30 square feet but SoLong seems to have more usable vestibules.

Plus: I am in love with the Tan color choice of the Solong.

Ps: The price difference is $53 which is pretty close to $59 which is the price of a Klymit Static V sleeping Pad.

What do you think?

bfayer
02-23-2013, 15:17
I have not had it very long, but I can't say enough good things about the Solong 6.

One advantage of the Solo is that it is a fully double wall tent. Where the Solong 6 has areas of single wall on at the head and foot. Some may not like this because of the potential condensation issues.

One advantage of the Solong 6 is that it is shorter (but more usable length), so it will fit better on some tent platforms.

The Solong 6 also needs two additional stakes.

Can't go wrong with either as far as I am concerned. I like the additional usable space of the Solong 6 so that is why I picked it.

4Bears
02-23-2013, 16:16
Stumpknocker is out hiking the Florida Trail and is using a SoLong 6 and gave a nice short term review on TJ you can read it here, he also spent time on his first impressions of the tent in his trail prep. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=398343

bfayer
02-23-2013, 16:32
Stumpknocker is out hiking the Florida Trail and is using a SoLong 6 and gave a nice short term review on TJ you can read it here, he also spent time on his first impressions of the tent in his trail prep. http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=398343

He sure has a problem with the reflective stuff on the tent. I love that stuff. I put reflective tape on just about every thing.

Del Q
02-23-2013, 16:46
Great tent. It is BIG inside, lightweight, sets up easily............packs pretty small.

LOVE that I can roll up both sides and have mesh all around me............huge plus in my view. I splurged and got zip openings on both sides.

Plan on being on the PCT in a few years and thought that all of that mesh would be a +

4Bears
02-23-2013, 16:56
He sure has a problem with the reflective stuff on the tent. I love that stuff. I put reflective tape on just about every thing.

To be honest I have never had any reflective stuff on any tent. I don't know if I would really want or need it, as I don't wander around at night and would prefer to keep as unnoticable as possible. If I felt a need for something I would just use a piece of trip tease and tie it to a guy line, so I could remove when not needed.

Kookork
02-23-2013, 16:57
I have not had it very long, but I can't say enough good things about the Solong 6.

One advantage of the Solo is that it is a fully double wall tent. Where the Solong 6 has areas of single wall on at the head and foot. Some may not like this because of the potential condensation issues.

One advantage of the Solong 6 is that it is shorter (but more usable length), so it will fit better on some tent platforms.

The Solong 6 also needs two additional stakes.

Can't go wrong with either as far as I am concerned. I like the additional usable space of the Solong 6 so that is why I picked it.

very good point , It is major factor in forest areas where a platform is sometimes hard to find.

Kookork
02-23-2013, 17:56

Thanks for the link. Seems he is quite happy with SoLong so far( it rhymes nicely,So long so far!!)

about the barrel type button which is somehow inconvenient to operate from inside I think there are two easy fix if Judy is eager to try. First she can reverse the order of attachment of them , meaning that the loop is sewn inside and the button is attached to the outside . In this way opening is easier when you are inside the tent but more difficult when you are outside.!!!

The second option is using a buckle, like the buckles people normally use in their backpacks hip belt( but a mini buckle of coarse). We are all familiar with opening and closing them even in total darkness.

Kookork
02-23-2013, 17:58
Great tent. It is BIG inside, lightweight, sets up easily............packs pretty small.

LOVE that I can roll up both sides and have mesh all around me............huge plus in my view. I splurged and got zip openings on both sides.

Plan on being on the PCT in a few years and thought that all of that mesh would be a +

I wonder why Judy did not design this tent sooner.!!!

ChinMusic
02-23-2013, 18:01
I have the cuben solo, with awning and back door. If I were to do it over again I would take a close look at the SoLong. I have backpacked with my dog and the Solo has plenty of room for me, the dog, and my pack.

Kookork
02-23-2013, 18:04
To be honest I have never had any reflective stuff on any tent. I don't know if I would really want or need it, as I don't wander around at night and would prefer to keep as unnoticable as possible. If I felt a need for something I would just use a piece of trip tease and tie it to a guy line, so I could remove when not needed.

You may not wonder around at nights but some other people might , especially if you are in a campground . To me it is a harmless thing to say the least.

Kookork
02-23-2013, 18:06
I have the cuben solo, with awning and back door. If I were to do it over again I would take a close look at the SoLong. I have backpacked with my dog and the Solo has plenty of room for me, the dog, and my pack.

Hi ChinMusic

It was kind of weird but I honestly was missing you during my absence.

ChinMusic
02-23-2013, 18:15
You may not wonder around at nights but some other people might , especially if you are in a campground . To me it is a harmless thing to say the least.

I can see it both ways. I guess if the reflective parts are sown into the gear you are going to be visible all the time to headlamps. I can see times where I would not want this to be the case. I can't remember where all the reflective stuff is but I would think I little tape could cover it up if one wanted to be well hid.

Personally I LIKE the reflective stuff. There have been times where I even took a waypoint of my tent's location before wandering off for water.

HeartFire
02-23-2013, 18:34
About the buttons - these are small toggles - on each door, there are 3 'loops' - a plain loop inside the tent, a loop with the toggle between the door mesh and the fly - this is used for the mesh door, then there is another plain loop on the outside of the tent. you use the that with the toggle between the door and fly to button back the fly. I don't see how reversing this would make the tie back any easier, and it would require 2 toggles on each door and one plain loop - more weight, more money.

I have never had any problems setting up a LightHeart Solo on a platform (along with 2 other tents on the platform) or being able to squeeze one into a small tent site.

Regarding the OP's question - first, how tall are you - if you are 6 foot or taller, go for the SoLong 6 unless you enjoy being a pretzel inside the tent. If you are about 5'6" you and a Sheltie could fit into the Solo, but you would be better off in a SoLong 6.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

bfayer
02-23-2013, 18:42
...Personally I LIKE the reflective stuff. There have been times where I even took a waypoint of my tent's location before wandering off for water.

That's me :). I have it on my hiking poles, my headlamp, my bic lighter...

I guess if I did a lot of "stealth" camping, I could see the issue.

I think its just on the tieout lines and the flat webbing for the tieouts.

bfayer
02-23-2013, 18:59
...I have never had any problems setting up a LightHeart Solo on a platform (along with 2 other tents on the platform) or being able to squeeze one into a small tent site.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Judy, first great tent. On the platform thing, not too long ago I ended up a campground (not on the AT) that had 8x8 platforms, that we were required to use. Another person had a Solo and it just barely fit diagonally. So it can be an issue. Not enough of an issue to drive my tent decisions. Just a factor to think about.

I asked my wife to get me the solong 6 just because of it's size. Nothing else I looked at came close for the weight and price.

I just brought it up as a possible factor, heck there are people on here that will only buy a free standing tent because they are worried about platforms.

Again love the tent.

wcgornto
02-23-2013, 19:00

I am using a Cuben Solo on the PCT this year. I am looking forward to rolling up the tent sides and having just the exposed mesh as much as possible.

Kookork
02-23-2013, 19:03
About the buttons - these are small toggles - on each door, there are 3 'loops' - a plain loop inside the tent, a loop with the toggle between the door mesh and the fly - this is used for the mesh door, then there is another plain loop on the outside of the tent. you use the that with the toggle between the door and fly to button back the fly. I don't see how reversing this would make the tie back any easier, and it would require 2 toggles on each door and one plain loop - more weight, more money.

I have never had any problems setting up a LightHeart Solo on a platform (along with 2 other tents on the platform) or being able to squeeze one into a small tent site.

Regarding the OP's question - first, how tall are you - if you are 6 foot or taller, go for the SoLong 6 unless you enjoy being a pretzel inside the tent. If you are about 5'6" you and a Sheltie could fit into the Solo, but you would be better off in a SoLong 6.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Thanks for your reply Ms Gross

About the reversing I might have not been able to explain it clearly. When you reverse the attachment the advantage is that you clearly can see the loop and buttons from the inside right in front of your eyes so it would be easier to tie back or open it from the inside( which is more frequent than closing it from the outside). You do not need to add any button or loop for this ( no more money or weight).

Loop and buttons are not easy to operate when you can not see them and you need to operate just by touch and feeling. It is a very minute issue but I have always been struggling with this loop thing in my current tent( which is not LightHeart tent).

I am 5' 8'' and I think I have no issue with the solo but the SoLong offers more for a person like me who spends most of the time either walking or laying down in the tent and writing.

One more question: In normal conditions( not a stormy weather) is there any difference in the number of stakes that are needed for setting up SoLong 6 standard Vs Solo.

wcgornto
02-23-2013, 19:04

Judy - LightHeart Gear

I am exactly six feet tall and I have the solo. It is perfectly comfortable for me.

Kookork
02-23-2013, 19:09
Judy, first great tent. On the platform thing, not too long ago I ended up a campground (not on the AT) that had 8x8 platforms, that we were required to use. Another person had a Solo and it just barely fit diagonally. So it can be an issue. Not enough of an issue to drive my tent decisions. Just a factor to think about.

I asked my wife to get me the solong 6 just because of it's size. Nothing else I looked at came close for the weight and price.

I just brought it up as a possible factor, heck there are people on here that will only buy a free standing tent because they are worried about platforms.

Again love the tent.

where I normally go hiking sometimes finding a very small flat area suitable for my tent forces me to search a lot more. In some cases even one foot makes the difference for me and Solong is the winner in this matter since it is not diagonal like solo.

Old Hiker
02-23-2013, 20:12
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86824-LightHeart-Gear-SoLong-6-First-Impressions

Got my second SoLong in the colors I wanted, awning, two doors and zipper in the non-awning fly. I compared with a Solo and as I'm 6'2", theSoLong was my choice by far. Not that the Solo is bad, I just like the extra room the square corners provide.

One mod for me: small loops in the zippers. I didn't know I could have asked for huskier zippers.

I like the shiny stuff, but I can see how it may not be wanted. The small piece of shiny cord somewhere on the tent sounds like a solution.

Carry-On
02-24-2013, 03:11
I love my LHG Solo tent. I'm 5'6" and use a thermarest All Season inflatable pad which is 2.5 inches thick. Due to the height of the pad, I found that I needed to stuff my backpack into the foot of the tent to raise it up so either my feet or my face weren't touching the mesh (and condensation). It wasn't that big a deal for me, but if you were taller, with a thick inflatable pad, something to consider.

stumpknocker
02-25-2013, 11:12
It's raining here in Florida, so I'm sitting here playing on my phone and saw this thread.

I have 75 miles left and this trail will be done.

I do plan on doing two post hike entries on my Trail Journals' journal.

I will say right now that I love my SoLong 6!!

I stealth tent lots. That is my reason for wanting no reflective material or guy lines on my tent. That was also my reason for the color choice of the tent.

I made a few changes to suit me, but if anything were to happen to this tent and I needed to buy another tent, it would be another SoLong 6.

Also want to mention that Judy has offered to change out the reflective loops. That was very generous for something that was not her fault.

run2hike
02-25-2013, 16:51
Has anyone had any experience using the SoLong in a downpour? I'm thinking about getting one, but I'm concerned that it has a lower waterproof rating than the Solo (1200mm vs 3000mm hydrostatic head).

Mz. Mittens
03-05-2013, 13:11
I've finally taken my Solong on a short pre-PCT trip, and I had some difficulty. Some of this may be because I'm used to freestanding tents and have never had to rely on staking so much. More of it may be because I have high anxiety+lack of information.....you know, a bad combination.

The main issue I have is that it seems virtually impossible to not be touching the tent in some way when you're inside. Won't this be a problem when it is raining? When I would switch positions at night, my head would touch the slope of the tent, which doesn't bode well for rain and or/condensation type situations. Am I wrong that the tent will leak if I brush against it?

I also feel concerned about having to set up in the rain. Since I have to be in the tent to erect it, that means that if I am wet, now the inside of the tent is wet, and also my wet trekking poles are wet, adding to the pools of rain water my overactive imagination is conjuring.

The stake situation is so odd. I mean, you have to stake the vestibules/awning/etc. lines so far out-great if you have a lot of space, but maybe a problem in certain areas.

I dunno. I'm dubious. Can anyone set me straight? I want to keep the tent, but....I find myself eyeballing all those heavier, but freestanding tents out there.

-Amy (p.s. "...wet trekking poles are wet..." *slaps forehead*)

Old Hiker
03-05-2013, 13:57
Mz. Mittens,

Haven't set my SoLong up in a rain yet; however, when setting up my ALPS in the rain, even trying to cover the tent body with the fly, I had POOLS of water inside before getting it up. With my SoLong, I believe I can shed a lot of water off my rain jacket/pants before sitting in the entrance to set it up. The rain won't be pouring down on me as I try to set it up. Still - I'll let you know when I get a chance to set up in a FL downpour !!

I also went to the poles LightHeart Gear sells instead of using trekking poles.

bfayer
03-05-2013, 14:26
I've finally taken my Solong on a short pre-PCT trip, and I had some difficulty. Some of this may be because I'm used to freestanding tents and have never had to rely on staking so much. More of it may be because I have high anxiety+lack of information.....you know, a bad combination.

The main issue I have is that it seems virtually impossible to not be touching the tent in some way when you're inside. Won't this be a problem when it is raining? When I would switch positions at night, my head would touch the slope of the tent, which doesn't bode well for rain and or/condensation type situations. Am I wrong that the tent will leak if I brush against it?

I also feel concerned about having to set up in the rain. Since I have to be in the tent to erect it, that means that if I am wet, now the inside of the tent is wet, and also my wet trekking poles are wet, adding to the pools of rain water my overactive imagination is conjuring.

The stake situation is so odd. I mean, you have to stake the vestibules/awning/etc. lines so far out-great if you have a lot of space, but maybe a problem in certain areas.

I dunno. I'm dubious. Can anyone set me straight? I want to keep the tent, but....I find myself eyeballing all those heavier, but freestanding tents out there.

-Amy (p.s. "...wet trekking poles are wet..." *slaps forehead*)

Touching the tent walls will not cause a leak, that is an old hold over from the days of canvas tents.

Staking a tent like this just takes a little practice, but not much. You are correct, the solong 6 does take up some space, but that is why we bought them. Best space to weight ratio in the business.

As far as setting up in the rain, it stays much drier than a tent with a separate fly. Once you stake it out at the corners, you climb under the awning unzip the door a put in your hiking poles, the inside of the tent is never exposed to the open sky.