PDA

View Full Version : Sobo advice needed

Cozy
02-23-2013, 15:30
Trying to figure travel plans out and figured I'd save some time researching by asking you guys.... I am going from Springer>Harpers Ferry then flipping and flying to ME>Harpers Ferry. A couple of questions:

1) Should I make a 2 night reservation at Katahdin Springs campground in Baxter State Park for the night before and after my summit of Katahdin? (I've got to send that reservation in this week). The lady on the phone at Baxter told me that since I'm not a NOBO, I can't stay in the Birches. Katahdin Springs is the closest campground to the AT.

2) Any recommendations on how to get from Portland, ME airport to Baxter?

3) Any recommendations of places to stay/shuttles in Millinocket, ME?

Thanks!

hikerboy57
02-23-2013, 15:48
AT lodge will put you up for the night and shuttle you into baxter early enough to do katahdin without spending an extra day. i believe there is bus service from portlnad to medway, and the AT lodge will shuttle you from medway to millinocket.
as far as booking an extra day at ksc, its not a bad idea because weather conditions may not permit you to goup day one, nice to have an extra day as an option. you do need to reserve sites well in advance, as the sites fill up quickly. baxter state park has a website you can go to to check availability and make reservations

Slo-go'en
02-23-2013, 16:33
The only problem with booking a campsite at Baxter this far in advance is how the heck do you know you'll get to Harpers Ferry on such and such a date, or if you will get there at all? I'd wait until the last minute and figure it out then. You should be in good shape by the time you flip, so using the AT lodge shuttle and then staying at Abol bridge if you can't get a last minute site in the park shouldn't be a big deal. Plus it will be the middle of summer, so you got pleanty of daylight to work with.

Cozy
02-23-2013, 17:27
The only problem with booking a campsite at Baxter this far in advance is how the heck do you know you'll get to Harpers Ferry on such and such a date, or if you will get there at all? I'd wait until the last minute and figure it out then. You should be in good shape by the time you flip, so using the AT lodge shuttle and then staying at Abol bridge if you can't get a last minute site in the park shouldn't be a big deal. Plus it will be the middle of summer, so you got pleanty of daylight to work with.

I called the ATC and they told me it normally takes 2 1/2 to 3 months to get from Springer to Harpers. This confirms what others on white blaze said when I posted the question. I created a buffer time and plan to fly to Maine on a certain date which happens to be a very busy time at Baxter according to the lady I spoke with. Baxter takes reservations 4 months in advance and to make sure I have a spot I will make a reservation in the park for the day after I fly up. If I get to Harpers earlier, I will go visit family before my flip to Maine. If I get to Harpers later, then I'll be doing last minute planning as you say.

The Gambler
02-23-2013, 17:46
sounds like you've got it worked out...fyi...katahdin is the hardest climb on the AT...you can leave your pack at the ranger station at katahdin stream campground and they will lend you a daypack to use on the climb so you only have to carry what you need....from katahdin stream campground to baxter peak and then down to abol bridge is 21 miles...certainly doable.....given the time of year i'd recommend a campsite rather than a shelter due to the bugs...the rangers will hassle you if you set up a tent at a shelter site although you could probably set up your tent in the shelter after dark...that is if you carry one....anyhow good luck on your hike