PDA

View Full Version : Winding Stair Gap to Hot Springs

LWMM
02-23-2013, 18:13
Planning on heading out to do this this week. Couple questions:

1) What's the water situation like, and how much should I count on carrying?

2) How many miles in is the NOC? Is this one of the logical resupply point(s), or are there others I should be aware of?

Thanks!

Cookerhiker
02-23-2013, 21:05
The total hike length is 164 miles. The NOC comes after only 27 miles from Winding Stair so you will obviously need additional resupply.

Were I hiking the stretch you're planning, I'd send a maildrop to the Hike Inn east of Fontana and another to Standing Bear Hostel near Davenport Gap. The trend these days on WB is to discourage (or even disparage) maildrops but the grocery store in Fontana Village is "short term" i.e. limited and there's nothing close at Davenport Gap. Of course you could hitch a ride into Gatlinburg from Newfound Gap and find a grocery store if you'd like.

Standing Bear does stock some meals in their store, probably enough to get you to Hot Springs.

LWMM
02-23-2013, 22:11
The total hike length is 164 miles. The NOC comes after only 27 miles from Winding Stair so you will obviously need additional resupply.

Were I hiking the stretch you're planning, I'd send a maildrop to the Hike Inn east of Fontana and another to Standing Bear Hostel near Davenport Gap. The trend these days on WB is to discourage (or even disparage) maildrops but the grocery store in Fontana Village is "short term" i.e. limited and there's nothing close at Davenport Gap. Of course you could hitch a ride into Gatlinburg from Newfound Gap and find a grocery store if you'd like.

Standing Bear does stock some meals in their store, probably enough to get you to Hot Springs.

Thanks for the info! Now that you mention it, I remember running into Crazy Legs and Shadow Wolf(?) (Shadow something, at least) a week or so back just before Hot Springs, and they mentioned that there was some food at Standing Bear, though not much selection as it wasn't quite in season yet. I'll probably just bring a decent amount with me and get a couple things here and there at Fontana and Standing Bear. Not too picky, so I'm sure I can make do.

Any idea about water?

Violent Green
02-23-2013, 22:40
You should be fine on water. We've had an extremely wet winter so everything will be flowing. I wouldn't carry more than 40oz at a time.

Ryan

LWMM
02-24-2013, 23:08
Thanks Ryan!

Drove to Franklin today, hitting the trail in the morning.