PDA

View Full Version : Quilt for ground sleeping rather than sleeping bag

wcgornto
02-23-2013, 18:53
Who has done it?

How do you like it?

How does comfort compare to sleeping bag, e.g., too warm, too cold, too variable, etc. on a cold night?

How well does it work lashed around a sleep pad when necessary to stay warm?

Any particular advantages / disadvantages vs. sleeping bag?

Rocket Jones
02-23-2013, 19:00
I love my quilts, and have been comfortable down to the low 20's. This was a test of my 40* quilt in my backyard, in a tent with most of my layers on. My Jardine kit quilt doesn't have pad straps, it's got fabric 'wings' around the edge that stop drafts and can be pulled under. They work great. I recently got a down quilt from Enlightened Equipment and it has straps, but I haven't used them yet.

For me, the main advantage is not getting tangled in a bag. I'm a side sleeper and somewhat mobile during the night.

MuddyWaters
02-23-2013, 19:14
I prefer sleeping with quilt, just like covering up with covers in bed up to the neck. No hood to suffocate you, or material under you to interfere with turning.
I do not lash mine around my sleeping pad.
I have a couple straps under me when its cold to keep it tucked, when its not that cold, I dont, just let it drape.
Drafts when cold are peoples biggest complaints.

Quilts tend to be filled evenly, whereas bags have heavier insulation around feet and upper body . So my feet get noticeably colder. I could move some down to the foot area, but havent done that yet.

Rick Hancock
02-23-2013, 19:32
I've been using my GoLite 20 degree bag for about 3 seasons and I really like it. Well made, nice size/coverage, 800 fill down. I tend to move around a lot so a quilt was a natural choice. I do not use the straps, don't like them even in colder temps. You'll know pretty fast if your not covered! I've used my quilt down into the low 20's with no problem, I tend to sleep warm so I rarely wear more than a lightweight top and coolmax boxers. In cold temps I'll wear Patagonia lightweight long bottoms and a hat with maybe a hand/body warmer tossed into the foot box before I climb in. I can't wear socks while sleeping. The bag compresses down to almost nothing I keep my quilt, sleeping clothes, and headlamp in a small Sea To Summit stuff sack. I've thought about getting a more expensive quilt but I'm pretty happy with the one I have.

SCRUB HIKER
02-23-2013, 19:37
Check here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92577-Quilts&p=1420978&highlight=#post1420978) and here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86544-Sleeping-Bag-v-Quilt) for recent threads on this topic. I love my GoLite 3-season quilt; I explain why in those other threads.

I will say that mine works very well, much better than I expected it to, when it's lashed around the sleeping pad with just the chest strap.

wcgornto
02-23-2013, 20:35
Thanks for the links. They were very informative.

I have always found a mummy sleeping bag to be too constricting, as I do toss around a bit as I sleep, with a lot of side sleeping, plus a bit of stomach and back sleeping. It seems based on the various comments that I should be comfortable down to the twenty or so degrees that I might want to use a quilt. I have a new JRB High Sierra Sniveller quilt (29 oz) to replace a Marmot Pinnacle sleeping bag (40 0z) and I am planning to use it on a JMT hike this year from June 30 through July 14.

Check here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?92577-Quilts&p=1420978&highlight=#post1420978) and here (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?86544-Sleeping-Bag-v-Quilt) for recent threads on this topic. I love my GoLite 3-season quilt; I explain why in those other threads.

I will say that mine works very well, much better than I expected it to, when it's lashed around the sleeping pad with just the chest strap.

snaef999
02-23-2013, 21:04
I have a JRB Sierra Stealth. Its only a 40deg quilt but I was able to sleep comfortably for a night that was just about 20 deg. I was in a tent with a ThermaRest Neo Air. I only had my thermals warm socks and a light weight beanie. I am a warm sleeper and was comfortable. In a windy situation I might need to add a strap around the air mattress to keep the drafts out but I did not need it on my test run. I am also pretty mobile at night and found it a great alternative. Ground insulation is more important with a quilt, make sure you have a good R rating on your pad. I love the quilt, its only 16oz and packs down to real small.

QiWiz
02-23-2013, 21:27
Who has done it?
I have

How do you like it?
Really great

How does comfort compare to sleeping bag, e.g., too warm, too cold, too variable, etc. on a cold night?
Pick the right quilt and you can be warm into the 20's

How well does it work lashed around a sleep pad when necessary to stay warm?
I have added some thin cords to do this and have occasionally used them

Any particular advantages / disadvantages vs. sleeping bag?
Lighter for same top insulation; more freedom of movement

jeffmeh
02-23-2013, 21:39
The other advantage is that when the temp goes the other way (warmer than your rating), it is pretty easy to vent and get away with it.